Home General Discussion

Goldeneye Source - Classic is reborn!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
I'm sure everyone remembers goldeneye on N64. The proxy mines on the ceilings! If you own HL2 I highly encourage you to check out http://www.goldeneyesource.com/

Everything has been recreated down to the all the hidden areas. It's a blast to play! I been playing it every night this week. Not to many people on the servers at night, but enough to walk into my proxy mines wink.gif

800px-Ge_facility_08.jpg

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome. I don't have a computer that can run source games at the moment, but this will be among the first mods I get when I do. smile.gif

Didn't somebody here contribute the HUD for this mod? I seem to remember it from a portfolio site I followed from a signature link or something.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Is this only the multiplayer maps, or did they recreate the single player missions as well? I know that would be difficult to do. Either way, I have lots of great memories playing Goldeneye Multiplayer. It was my first FPS experience. Nintendo needs to bring this back updated on the Wii. I'll check it out soon.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome! I'm a little disappointed they didn't take much artistic license with it, it is very much Goldeneye and not so much source. I personally would like to see them keep the same lvl pacing and structure but source it up a few more notches with some great looking props, detailed textures, texture decals, and just do a better job of interpreting the movie given the tools and the spacial guidelines.

The levels kind of suffer from Mod Mentality, some are really good recreations and others are not as hot. Clearly a well done prop should have been used instead of using the level editor for some of the details. I think they need to find a few prop artists and put them to work.

GE_Cradle looks good, but I haven't played it yet.

GE_Facility is by far the best recreation and best looking I have played yet, hopefully I'll get thru the others today on lunch. For the volume of maps they have released they should be a bit more discriminating as to what they let in. A few really good maps are worth more than 3 dozen mildly ok maps. They might be more accepting because they are a mod, but with a little weblicity they could pull in some talent and start culling the herd.

I also think they should rework their logo, the "shine" makes Bond look like he has an afro =/ If you're going to give bond a fro you can punch up the levels a few notches =P

EDIT: as far as I can tell its only multi.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Hope you guys like the interface I've been trying to help them with. Trying to keep the old radial health readout, while still adding just enough to make it feel good. Still got a ways to go, though.

I've also been doing their Moonraker laser.

Hopefully I can fix their bond sometime soon.

ElysiumGX- it's just the multiplayer maps so far (both classic and 'enhanced' versions). Once they get that down, they do want to do singleplayer, as well. I've been trying to get them to just do a little bit at a time so they can actually get something done (instead of a whole year between releases).
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Like Vig said, the artwork is a little disappointing. The levels look great, layout wise. But the artwork just isn't that good. Looks like it's from the original Goldeneye. Very bland, uninspired. These levels need to be more alive, they need to pop.
    Cool mod though, I'll certainly check it out.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I'll give it a try over the weekend. What are your names on Steam? I'll add you to my friends list so I can try to play on the same servers. I think I use Hollowmind on Steam.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just added you Hollowmind.

My name on steam is phfamorim

;D
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe we should create a topic so people could post their steam names.

does such thread already exists?
    beacause i searched and didnt found one
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Vassago_5Kft (I think). I'll confirm tonight :P
  • Pedro Amorim
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I think recreating the level pacing from the N64 version for the HL2 mod would be difficult. The N64 version was at slower player movement rate to compensate for the difficulty in aiming with the analog stick. 80% of the time you're fighting in that game (N64) its on a horizontal plane and hardly ever did battle take place from one floor to another. And if it did you were either a.) locked in to your guy pointing at the level or b.) you'd have to stop, bring out the reticle, aim, shoot.

To have to recreate that sort of pacing would be mod suicide. If anything they should add on to the levels to compliment the new control and player movement system modding for HL2 introduces.

I've yet to try the mod out, I will grab it when I get in to work this morning.
  • thefatladysings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thefatladysings polycounter lvl 17
    downloading the mod now
    steam name: thefatladysings (what a surprise tongue.gif )
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

To have to recreate that sort of pacing would be mod suicide.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you made an unintentional pun! http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Nicholas+nickster+Bishop
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    ^
    That's pretty fucked up.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    steam: Gizmosan

i'll be on tonight for sure smile.gif
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    how come this mod has not been ordered to cease and desist? How do some mods (based on intellectual property) get ignored, while others (such as the Stargate SG-1: Source mod) get shutdown?
    Is it whatever gains enough attention, and causes the execs to be like "Hey, we're not earning money from this, shut that shit down! /sic lawyers"?
    I am eager to try this one out, looks great from the screenshots smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because they thought if they took out the leader with a faulty charcoal grill and a phony suicide note, the mod would crumble? Thats how the holders of the Bond IP send a cease and desist...

Besides its not actually James Bond, in this version the main character has a giant Bob Ross style a fro.
    bondfro.jpg
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I'll try and be on tonight. I'm putting a 2nd computer together when I get home from work so that's going to take a while to get everything installed and updates dl'd.