Home General Discussion

new crysis screenshots.

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Joao Sapiro sublime tool
some more arrived , looking pretty good ! but i kinda dont buy it with all that anti aliasing going on eheh , still...gorgeous.

crysis-20070109084351904.jpg
crysis-20070109084344529.jpg

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/694/694190/imgs_1.html

Replies

• Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    there has to be some sort of chicanery going on there.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    the chicanery is the inexcusably bland design of the tech-soldier in that first screenshot. remember kids, high tech doesn't guarantee good taste!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    sexy but boring at the same time
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    what's with the incredibly obvious repetition of the palm trees and shrubs in the second picture? I'm talking about in the right-bottom quarter of the picture, the same leaf formation is repeated on the trees and shrubs several times over.

I guess they are LOD'd into sprites and all using the same texture?? looks lame in a promo shot, to me.

edit: I mean that said the papery material of the palm leaves in the foreground is awesome. I wonder how real-time that particular feature is.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    The most impressive thing about the game is how natural there lighting is, it's refreshing to see.

Marcus Dublin

Artist - Kaos Studios
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    i recently sawa video for crysis, it looks good but not near as good as the screenshots they show.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    The DX10 video from CES is really amazing. They got the framerate rocking now. Looks like 60fps in most areas, with some minimal drops during extensive particle flare ups.

Looks like it will be fun. Better be smile.gif
    Though I'm not going to have a DX10 card until the end of the year more than likely. I just dropped $570 back in August for my 7950GX2. I'm good for now smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    the chicanery is the inexcusably bland design of the tech-soldier in that first screenshot. remember kids, high tech doesn't guarantee good taste!

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on the red cylon visor and fake exposed muscle suit are totally original! Besides more tech means more detail doesn't it? laugh.gif
    Hi, my name is GreyFox, I painted myself dark grey and upgraded my visor to an old Battle Star Galatica Cylon visor, I hope you don't notice. I'll never use whats in my pockets or 90% of the gadgets you see on me.

All kidding aside, it looks good I really like the palm leaves on the left side in the second shot posted. if those react to physics and the light/shadows play out that well in real time I see HUGE uses for that effect later on.

Level design 101: After copying a tree always rotate it slightly! shesh people don't let them know its a repeat so easily.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i recently sawa video for crysis, it looks good but not near as good as the screenshots they show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted for truth. I found this vid particularly disappointing, but it may be that it simple reminded me that it's the same ol' standard fare gameplay:

http://www.fileplanet.com/172556/170000/fileinfo/Crysis-Gameplay-Footage-#3

However, I distinctly recall the game looking much more impressive than this visually when i saw it at E3, so it might well be that this is the result of some inevitable scaling back.

Still, I don't understand why it's so hard to build a base of a tree that blends nicely and convincingly into the ground with roots, moss etc. as opposed to the usual simple intersection.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Trees, foliage, lighting model, consistency of environment art assets = wonderful!

The most generic soldier/costume designs I've ever seen in a game = not so wonderful.

Also after watching the videos I can't figure out if it's meant to be realistic or arcadey. The weapons and player movement all feels like they're shooting for realism, until he enables the "tech suit" options, and sprints around at 30mph, or jumps 10 metres into the air, or throws people and punches walls like they're made out of cardboard.

I'll be interested in seeing how the final game plays, at the moment it feels like a very mixed bag, and IMHO not that cohesive.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i could care less about the game as a game, but i would love to make a mod for it, i will be picking it up just for that, i bet they got some cool tools as well.. i hope its a little more mod friendly than some of the newer fps they all seem to be very 3d package specific and it requires a community to write tools for other packages and they are more times than not, not all that great. i never made anything with far cry, can anybody comment on the ease or lack there of for mod support? at any rate, i would love to get some characters running around in the engine.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I've been told that Crytek is openly backing two Crysis mods, and has been already giving the teams tools and information, so I would figure they're pretty supportive of it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played around with the editor that came with Far Cry can't remember its name? It was really great at making lush jungle islands surrounded by water. If your mod features lush jungle islands surrounded by water than you're in for an easy time. If you try to make anything else, then it pretty much is a wash. I liked the way they blended textures together, and I wanted to try and make a city with it, but importing custom props was troublesome at the time, I hear it has gotten better and the team has shared more info with the mod community which helped, but at the time I played with it, it was good at making new "fry cry content" but making other things it kind of sucked.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Slight sidetrack sorry, but my new pet peeve now that graphics are getting so high fidelity is that there are no shadows within shadows. This is really where realtime AO could come into play so well, 'cos so often once a directional light source has been 'used up' on a scene, a shadowed area is thus completely lacking any kind of lighting at all:

crysis.jpg

Sorry, just nitpicking really. Thinking out loud. I know these are hard problems to 'solve'. Oh well, next NEXT gen I suppose smile.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Are you sure that's a DX10 screenshot, Daz?
    Nearly all of the stuff shown for Crysis has been rendered in DX9. DX10 is certainly capable of rendering shadows in shadows.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Daz I totally agree with that pet peeve. Playing Rainbow 6 Vegas there are some interior areas that suffer from that. Next gen textures don't look so hawt when all lighting is removed.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Are you sure that's a DX10 screenshot, Daz?
    Nearly all of the stuff shown for Crysis has been rendered in DX9. DX10 is certainly capable of rendering shadows in shadows.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually not, no. I grabbed it from the movie i linked earlier in the thread. Not sure how old the movie is, but it was only very recently released.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I actually just finished writing a large lighting document on shadows in shadows and why you need ao on next gen unless you want to look like a chump and have floating objects and zero form. Baked lighting for the win! There's no reason you can't calculate PRT in real time to solve this problem in dx9, but then your frame rate would drop to 3fps, oh wait Crysis already does and they are just rendering depth maps. How will the consumer play this game? All art critique aside I found Farcry to be very fun and would gladly buy their next product. Video here.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?type=wmv&id=16149
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    You would also be surprised what happens when you actually use real world colors. These people deaden texture color so much it makes lighting look flat. The range between the green they use and the grey of 90% of the objects is small. Not all trees are green hue #123, not all concrete is grey hue #123, not all trees green match the grass green etc..
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Very pretty foliage simulator.

That armor looks weird in a bad way though.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How dare you accuse them of washing out color!

Kidding aside it looks like they are using some kind of "filter" and this is some kind of dream or creature vision. I would suspect they are using this same "feature" on the rest of the game. I think they are using this to give the game a "unifying look" kind of how saving private Ryan is washed in brown/tan and underworld is blue/gray. It is possible that they are still tweaking this filter and of course what we see now is not what we will see in game, so careful counting those chickens.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Meh, I don't mind the soldier's exo-muscle armor. If you want to nitpick about that, why don't you also nitpick about Gordon Freeman's bland-as-hell looking HEV suit, or the repeatedly used glowy eyed troopers used in so many games these days (Killzone series, Gears of War series, FEAR, etc etc). Personally I think it's a matter of functionality over design.

The game looks like it's gonna rock, but then again I loved Far Cry, and this only adds to the formula with ultra-customizable assualt rifles and an armored suit that you can switch superhuman abilities on the fly. Remember how so many people loved the hell out of the gravity gun in HL2? Well now you can do that with your bare hands, plus punch someone hundreds of feet, or knock over a truck full of enemies. While the game doesn't show a huge change in formula from the genre, it adds a level of customizability and open ended gameplay that I'd take over another well done but completely linear shooter we've seen thousands of times.
  • Husch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Husch polycounter lvl 18
    Vig, as far as I know these screenshots show no "creature vision", they show the parts of the levels which were frozen by aliens. In Crysis you fight against North Korean soldiers and aliens with ice weapons.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    clearly story wise games are getting dumber.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    is this for real?

aliens and north koreans? man, we're running out of bad guys.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    mexicans and treefrogs!! or canadians and mutant lesbians!! dont even think about it guys i already hold the copywrites to both.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    is this for real?

aliens and north koreans? man, we're running out of bad guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean, 'running out'? Communists and aliens are the oldest kind of bad guys in the book. They're just being re-used over and over again. Heck, all we're missing is an evil doctor with a German accent... but FarCry already had that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Vig, as far as I know these screenshots show no "creature vision", they show the parts of the levels which were frozen by aliens. In Crysis you fight against North Korean soldiers and aliens with ice weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

If thats the case, they need more to the effect than "- saturation 150".
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    mexicans and treefrogs!! or canadians and mutant lesbians!! dont even think about it guys i already hold the copywrites to both.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a great idea, can I play one of the Canadians?
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    You could but then the game would have to be a simulation of eating french fries with gravy. If you want a game about killing you have to have to play as an American-- that is what we are good at. Even the Japanese know better than to have Japanese player characters unless it is a dating sim or a farming game.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It just occured to me - aren't they biting your style with that artificial muscle suit deally, Ninjas?

Edit:Found him.
    http://www.gnomesend.com/secret/NinjaGhost2B.jpg
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, it did remind me of that design I did. I was inspired by the new Raiden design from MGS4:

Raiden

I think the Crysis design is just not very good.