Home General Discussion

apple TV = not hot

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
http://www.apple.com/appletv/

From how it describes its self it lets you watch the crap you downloaded on your TV. You know that thing that you can already do with 90% of all video cards and a s-video cable.

All and all sounds very gay and pointless.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    afaik you'll be able to access your media FROM the TV, rather than having to sit at your machine, pick the file, then send it out to the TV then go over to the TV and watch.

make sense?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, but worth $300 no. $50 sure but at $300 for what amounts to a svid cable and computer remote.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    300 bucks isn't too much for a nice wireless connection like this. It's just another home theatre component that allows you to integrate your computer without having to wire everything. I've got multiple computers throughout my house with content I'd love to dump to my tv so this looks pretty cool to me.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I wish they'd release the processor speed. If it could play HD, that would be an awesome addition to the center. If not, I'll stick with XBMC (XBMC is the most amazing thing ever created)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    As I said before, if I can hook up an external USB drive to it and install all the codecs I need, I'm sold.

The problem with these boxes is always high bit rate encoded files, and as sonic points out, it may choke on 1080p. We'll have to wait and see.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    $300 is expensive? For a wireless media player with Hi-def connections and a 40Gig hard disk?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    720p HD confirmed.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BOOO...

Of course its part of their plan;
    - Version 1.5 will have a 80Gig drive with some kind of funky attachment that lets it filter 720p to 1080i, poorly.
    - Version 2.0 will have 1080p and a 120Gig drive and the capacity for custom codecs and run smoothly at 1080p.

By the time it sports the features I would want it will be the ubber deluxe platinum version that costs 6x as much.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    $300 is expensive? For a wireless media player with Hi-def connections and a 40Gig hard disk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the 360 can do all of this and more (albeit smaller drive), yes. The 360 just got IPTV functionality. You can already play Divx movies on it, as well as downloading HD TV and film from Xbox Live.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the 360 can do all of this and more (albeit smaller drive), yes. The 360 just got IPTV functionality. You can already play Divx movies on it, as well as downloading HD TV and film from Xbox Live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention the 360's HD is removable and other drives can be purchased, so you are not limited to the size of just one built-in drive. This functionality also allows them to make larger drives available later on down the road.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    bah, I have Windows XP and the Zune software sucks, I've also turned off a bunch of useless security holes on my computer but it seems like Zune needs one of them to see the 360.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    WIRELESS? The 40 gig drive is practically irrelevant when you can zap movies and music through the thing to your tv from anywhere in the house. The extra USB port on the back means you can add another HD to it too if you ever want more storage.

How many people actually have TV's that support 1080p input right now? Not many at this point I'd bet. Apple will release an upgrade when the market is right for it and those who want it will pay for it, just like they do with all their other high end home theatre equipment. 300 bucks is pocket change for staying on the bleeding edge.

Speaking of upgrades... I guess having bought an xbox 360 in itself is not considered an upgrade for those who also owned an original xbox? Hmm... 600 - 700 dollars for a console that plays the same games but prettied up might strike some as a bit of a hefty upgrade also... It's all about perspective I guess.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bah, I'd still rather have an Archos 604.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    BOOO...

- Version 2.0 will have 1080p and a 120Gig drive and the capacity for custom codecs and run smoothly at 1080p.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. if it's got the new mini-OSX onboard, and apple will probably release updates to quicktime, then you can almost certainly install the right codecs for it. (codecs for quicktime on OSX are just placed in a folder, theres no installing to be done)

I currently have Perrian placed in a folder on my mac, it plays everything and anything through quicktime.