Home Technical Talk

biped root

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
I want to change the biped root (Bip01) by adding an extra bone as a translation bone. So my theory is that If I link bip01 to the translation bone, this new bone will then be at the top of the hierarchy.
The problem is that this bone does not move with the biped if it walks forward
Any way around this?

Replies

• jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    You could try linking the Bip01 to the translation bone and then the translation bone to the footsteps bip object. I always just hide the bip01 and footsteps object because they always seem to screw with my skin pose.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dunno if it helps, but I saw this recently on CrazyButcher's site... Link Biped to Object
    http://www.luxinia.de/index.php/ArtTools/3dsmax
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    hmm i tried that Eric and it doesn't seem to work. For example I choose bip01 as the biped selection and my extra translation bone as a the source.

All that seems to happen is that the bip root is moved to teh same position as the translate bones
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, don't understand what you really want to do. Sounds like you want a new root that has the same motion as the existing one, but then you'd need to remove all the translation from the existing root, otherwise you'd have double-compounded motion.
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    What are you using this bone for?

Are you using footsteps to animate your walk cycle? If that's the case, it might be a bit complicated to get the root bone to follow along with the biped.

You could try linking the Bip01 to it the new root bone, and then wiring the bone's XYZ transform into the Bip01, thus making a circular dependancy that would still work. Then you would have to half the transform because you'll get double motion I think.

So unless you have some need for that bone, I'd just stick with the Bip01. You should be able to control the Biped just fine with it.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah I left it to the coders to sort out in the end
    cheers for replying guys anyway.