Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A few environments that I have been working on

forest6.jpg
[IMG][/img]forest3.jpg
forest2.jpg
[IMG][/img]boxing2.jpg
boxing1.jpg
these are some things that i was working on for my demo reel, the next one i will post will be a very metal looking creature that I have been working on.

Replies

• Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    can we see wireframes?
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    some good stuff...saw the walk through on your website...boxing ring looks super tiny though..like its for midget wrestling or something..and the texture on the mat looks kina like cheese instead of canvas
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the boxing arena, you put a great amount of detail outside, the sunset is a really nice touch.

It would be nice to know a little more background behind the scenes.

Suggestions:
    - Instead of a plain dirt tile texture, switch it out for one that has more greenery, grass and small plants painted on it. It might help the plants feel less individual and the jungle feel more lush.
    - scatter around a few single plane, opacity mapped grass and plants.
    - Add some more moss and vines to the stone, rock and tree trunks. Overgrowth helps give age to things and helps blend elements into scenes.
    - In the boxing scene, it depends on the game, but you might want to take out some of the detail outside the window, or simplify it. Then take some of those newly saved polys and put some of it inside. I'm not suggesting anything drastic, just shave a few polys here and there. If you shave out 6 polys from outside you can put championship banners that hang from the ceiling. If you shave out 128-ish you could put a hanging punching bag in. If you shave out a few more you could have steps that lead up to the ring, or things you see trainers use between rounds, like a stool, bucket, water bottles ect.

Good stuff I look forward to seeing more =)
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    junglewireframe2.jpg
    junglewireframe.jpg
    boxingwire2.jpg
    boxingwire.jpg
    boxingnew.jpg
    Thanks for The feedback guys, some of these points i wanted to go back and fix but At that time i was too busy trying to get them finished in time.
    i think i what i may do with the ground to fix it up is try overlaing alphas with roots or small plants to give it some dimension. I totally agree that the surface on the ring looks like cheese. its a badly rushed normal map that is causing the problem smile.gif I think i may redo it or try using a bump map because Mya doesnt seem to like rendering normal maps that well. i forgot to show the punching bags, well here they are. Also that is a good point about the ring. it was kind of an error in my judgment i think. i had intended on it being a sparing/training ring which is about 16 feet in length but what people typically are accustomed to is a 24 foor champinship ring.
    thanks for the critiques guys. ill post some new images of fixes soon.

oh and the jungle environment is a proof of concept for an independant multiplayer battle game that my friends and I are brainstorming

and the boxing gym is based on A gym i used to go to in the city of Nanaimo. of course i took some creative liscence
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty good, I especially like the material on the stone statue.

One thing that really stands out for me (in a bad way) is the lighting. Overall it lacks contrast(value, color and saturation)are you using white light? you should try to create a nice contrast in value color and saturation, but of course dont over do it. Also you need to try to light things to reflect the material their made of, for example, your the side of your trees that are facing away from the sun are really dark. In real life you have subsurface scattering so you must try to simulate that with light on the other side.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
    Great googily-moogily. Those look pretty sweet. As a prop artist is -this- what I should be doing? Concepting whole environments and making a scene with a theme to it?

-Andrew B. Chason
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not too sure what it is that employers are looking for. I have seen prop artists who presented thier stuff as a series of induvidual props. what i am planning on doing next is building a level with gameplay built into it to show that i am interested in that. If you want some ideas for environments i could send you some cool photos that i have collected along the way

yeah I agree with the lighting, i redid it a few times and Im still not happy with it, i am using subtle blues and oranges in the lighting right now. what i have been doing is reading a book on lighting for film because i feel that some of those techniques should be tried and true. for some reason i prefer using lighting in unreal over Maya so maybe ill re create these scenes in Unreal 3 once i get ahold of it. thanks for the comments
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Incomitatum: You can make props till the cows come home, but full scenes like these show you also understand composition and direction. As in, you can make props, assemble them in a scene and they all appear to go together.

Anyway, seankaremaker, cool stuff. Looking forward to your future work. Do you plan o making it an Unreal level or in some other game engine?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Im not too sure what it is that employers are looking for. I have seen prop artists who presented thier stuff as a series of induvidual props. what i am planning on doing next is building a level with gameplay built into it to show that i am interested in that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering in most places the next natural step for a prop artist is level artist, I would suggest continue in your tread of displaying props in a scene. You might want to have individual props available for viewing as stand alone pieces complete with texture sheets and wireframes, because they will no doubt want to see such things before they consider calling you. But the scene idea is a good way to show you can take the next step after very little time on the job, or just jump right in.

Just a suggestion oh how to display your props:
    Create 3-4 scenes that look like screen shots out of a game, complete HUD/Health bars. Pick 3-4 popular genres, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Cityscape, ect... Have the props mouse overs that take you to separate pages with more detailed info, polycount, texture sheets, and flat shaded views.
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I just like the Engine from what i have see so far. I am friends with some good programmers, artists, animators and audio guys, and designers and on thursday we are going to start preproduction on an independant game mod project, of what we havent decided. possibly "the silver sparrow" A comedy adventure or "Batilla" A team based adventure deathmatch using with melee. I will most likelly do art direction, concept art and I would like to make a level for my demo reel out of this, its kind of something to keep me busy while I am looking for a job.the last project i worked on was using Unreal 2.0 and, it was a horror adventure game called Abandon. we didnt have heavy programming support on that so the designers had to do quite a bit of scripting to make it feel like something different than A fist person shooter.