Home Technical Talk

More XSI 6 info and Vids

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like texture swimming will be awesome for environments. It looks exciting to me even though it is not totally new. New animation tools look very fun to play with also. I better start saving money for this one smirk.gif
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    per128: For some strange reason the folks at SoftImage cater all their vids to TDs. Which for some strange (strange as in there is by far way more modelers than tds) reason gets more sales than modelers (i'd assume it's the tech leads at big companies that have more pull than the modelers telling the powers that be that they need this and that). There were some subtle improvements to the modeling aspects of xsi, but i think they felt it didn't merit a video. At least thats what they said at the user group meeting. They also said there was a couple others that have yet to be shown. They said that they would be teasing up to the release, much to my displeasure and chinny's, the guy doing the presentation, he just wanted to show everyone the new stuff that he wasn't allowed to. Also the animator bit is where they are winning, more and more companies are switching their animation pipeline to xsi. So catwalk and motor make animation TDs pee themselves im sure.

I swear i never make sense when i type...I get to excited that i have answers or something.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    That texture swimming looks awesome.

Alex
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Sage: that is the current version smile.gif

Per128: from the current version check out the "tweak tool" video i know its nothing to inovative, but it (IMO) is one of the fastest tweaking methods outside of sculpting. Also GATOR is a nice little funtime dance party for modelers.

I just love how easily the small user base(compared to maya and max) can influence softimage to make stuff for them (ie. shader balls (apples in xsi), bezier curves, zbrush options on import). The userbase asks, the userbase gets.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I'm still on version 4 Dur. But it still looks great.

Alex
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    XSI doesn't have much in the way of modeling tools but I find the limited set it does have highly effective for a lot of tasks. I'm less picky about having a lot of cool modeling tools these days though, after using just about every modeler under the sun, and more interested in the core, most useful tools just working really well and stable. I do mostly rigging and animation work in XSI but it hasn't let me down yet as a modeler either.

dur23: I love using the tweak tool! Best one in the industry imo.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    XSI doesn't have much in the way of modeling tools but

[/ QUOTE ]
    Compared to maya it's a god send! -x to mirror, for god sakes hellpiss.

[ QUOTE ]

dur23: I love using the tweak tool! Best one in the industry imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now (in 6) with real-time sym!!! Click-GO!
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More vids just went up on the softimage site!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Crosswalk, Quick Shade, Animation Layers, "Memorenders", and multiple render regions. Holy hell that's good stuff!
  • James Edwards
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just now checked out the new stuff, and just watching the interviews with Blur studios made me grin, as it was painfully apparant who they were putting down with things like 'instead of just tacking things on' and 'great stability', not to mention the bit where it's said that 'discreet wouldn't help us, softimage would'
    I've always been very interested in xsi, but my last pc couldn't handle the resolution it needed (then again, my last pc was dated 1998 with very little upgrades since)
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The symmetry still won't appeal to most modelers, since all it does is make it easier to use symmetry. You don't have to slap a sym map on the mesh - just toggle the button in the MCP.

I also noticed that when using proportional falloff it messes up symmetry calculations when tweaking for instance.
    So you still can't effectively change the vertex order of your mesh with symmetry yet...

On the plus side, there's a new silo to xsi importer for xsi that can give people the best of both worlds =]

http://animatic.no-ip.com/cgi-bin/silo-wiki/index.cgi?#siaImportExport4XSI
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    nice. thanks for the link.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Gwot, that importer reminded me i had to check out the latest XSI, heh. I'll be giving the demo a go in a few days i think. What's this you're saying about the symmetry?
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    How are the spline/curve tools in XSI? Is there something similar to pathDeform in max?
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pea: there was a brief glimmer of hope that the symmetry tool would become more useful for general construction use in modeling. XSI's symmetry tool does not support changes to the structure of a mesh so if you add or remove a vert it is not reflected on the opposite side. It is only really useful for morph work (so long as you don't use any falloff that crosses the symmetry axis, which also tends to not work too well), or for other things such as mirroring envelope weights and stuff. Most people just clone half their mesh and scale it across the X axis if they need some form of symmetry during construction.

Regardless XSI still has a solid modeling toolset - even if the selection workflow is a little outdated. I still use it occasionally, but I much prefer to work in a dedicated modeling program in the construction phase for the most part. Most of my work in XSI is rigging and animation so this release was pretty sweet for me.
  • Squid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squid polycounter lvl 18
    I've been using this little workaround for symmetry when modelling.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>var oSel = Selection;
    var obj;
    var axis = 0; // x-axis (1=y, 2=z)
    if(oSel.Count == 1 && oSel(0).type == 'polymsh' )
    {
    obj = oSel(0);
    main()
    }

function main()
    {
    var slice = ApplyTopoOp("SlicePolygons", obj, null, null, null)(0);
    slice.planeref.Value = 0; // global ref
    slice.sliceplane.Value = axis; // global x
    slice.sliceaction.Value = 3; // delete polys below the plane normal
    var symPoly = ApplyTopoOp("SymmetrizePolygon", obj, siUnspecified, siPersistentOperation, null)(0);
    symPoly.symmetryreference.Value = 0; // global ref
    symPoly.symmetryplane.Value = axis
    } </pre><hr />

it's a bit too brute force for my liking but i left the ops on the stack so you can modify them if need be.

smile.gif

//edit
    i hotkey the script then it's just a simple matter of spacebar-ing into object mode, hitting the hokey then carry on with the tweaking.