Home General Discussion

Raunchy jokes and your workplace....

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
I'm wondering if raunchy jokes have ever become a legal issue at a game company? Most of the companies I've visited and the one I work at tend to be pretty relaxed in atmosphere, and people will say lewd jokes frequently, but it's always been in good fun and there's never been malice behind the remarks. Does anyone work at a company where someone took it too far? Or where the atmosphere is more strictly enforced and people get offended easily? Game companies have always struck me as tending to be more relaxed, and perhaps almost family-like when it comes to the friendships are formed and the sense of teamwork.

Just a random aspect I wondered about, considering my last job had a lot of older folks and seemed to be a bit more strict when it comes to that, so it's quite the contrast!

Replies

• BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    the climate at zombie is fairly relaxed, and our IRC jokes often go waayyy past the point of appropriate. fortunately i think everyone realizes it's a great way of letting off steam, building morale, and just taking your mind off of design, art, or code.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Generally speaking the larger the company the more of an issue it is. Stuff like that is a complete no no at somewhere like EA, and they even make you do sexual harassment training and the like.
    It's also different across cultures. Moving from the UK to the US presented me with a big learning curve in terms of what was considered acceptable office banter.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    ive been thinking about this for awhile,as though im never insulted about what is said in the the office I feel banter that goes on where I work would offend someone who is not familiar with it or us. I always think if one of those members of the PC brigade (thats political Correctness,not polycount smile.gif ) came to our office they would have a feild day bollocking the lot of us for our use of inappropriate language.

Though working in the same room as myself is about 10 other people,3 of them being female and the rest being male. everyone is pretty young,the average age of the entire studio is proberly just under 30,so as you would proberly expect the atmosphere is very relaxed,the banter is frequently sexural and occasionally dips well below "acceptable" levels.

We did once have an incident where a client was in the lead designers office talking about a job while the rest of us where having a rather sexurally orinated disscussion,we weren't exaclly being quite about it either and inevatably she complained and we got a nasty telling off from the studio head to keep our voices down and convosations appropriate when clients are in the building.

But apart from that no-ones bothered and I think its a good thing that we as a group can talk to each other like that,make a joke about each other now and again without the fear of a backlash or some suit telling me to shut my mouth.
    It makes for a nice,relaxed,open and friendly atmosphere.

john
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    It's funny how things are in my office. I work as a designer in an iAdvertising agency, and it's laid back like most creative workplaces are. I hear people make off-color jokes all the time, even though I'd say 40% of the company is female. I'm totally okay with that, nothing like questioning your co-worker's sexuality because he likes Coldplay.

What I'm surprised to find I'm not okay with is random swearing. There's a girl who works on the floor below me, an account manager who deals with clients, and listening to her is just... not cool. When she's dealing with clients, she's sweetness and light. When ranting (loudly) from her cube, it's "fuck those sons of bitches" and "screw those assholes" about whomever has her wrath that day. Just in the normal course of day-to-day conversation.

While I'm certainly not a hardass about politically correct behavior, I find her to be very unprofessional and distracting to work near. In general, I think your audience is more important than what you say; if you're going to say potentially offensive things, whether jokes or rants, make sure the only people who can hear them are people who are okay with them. Airing it out for the whole office is about like coming into my workspace and dumping garbage all over my floor - I don't what your shit all over the place while I'm working, yeah?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Daz can you point of the difference between the US and UK on this subject? Just curious as to how the humour differs between them (and would be handy to know for people moving between the two countries hehe).
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Well, when I went on exchange to the US for a couple of months, I found a huge culture shock, especially being a considerably colourful language user myself (Everyone in Australia is. Well, mostly.) I can call anyone I want here a silly bastard, or a dumb shithead, and its like saying "You are a good mate and a value you and your opinions." You say that in america, well, lets just say its not good.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I've done so much Microsoft Sensitivity Training I think it's actually working now. Not only have I become more well behaved, I now get offended at the slightest lude comment. Which is unfortunate, since the training has no effect on anyone else. smile.gif
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    My work area is known as the politically incorrect zone at work. Saying holy fucking shit what the fuck is that shit, or look at that jizz shader is a daily routine. My co workers and I usually adress each other with what the fuuuuuuuck instead of hello. I'm not sure if anyone is offended by this but my manager has told me to be aware that other people can hear me as it is an open work area. But so far I have not been fired so all is going well.
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    If the happy banter at our office were ever to go to a tribunal i am sure that the 'jury' would walk out if they didnt die of shock, and we would all be locked up in the corporate broom cupboard and they would throw away the key. If it isnt interspecies and within the same family in a mannor that is generally concidered illegal or taboo then it isnt really worth commenting before lunch on a monday. So go on Daz let us know have you had to purse your lips since you got to the US?

tim
  • MRFlynn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRFlynn polycounter lvl 18
    So? Care to enlighten us what English banter is allowed or passable in the US?
    I dont wanna move over there an have my ass kicked for some stupid misunderstanding haha.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    The trick to not offending people is just so start out very polite, and gradually "expand your vocabulary" to match those around you. Never be rude to anyone who you haven't already seen acting that way themselves. Never assume that just because a few people are okay with it, that the rest of the company will accept it as well.

Everyone has different standards. There's no way to predict them, you just have to adapt.

I worked in QA at EA and the particular team I was on passed around plenty of raunchy and offensive jokes. But I was on a pretty relaxed team, and I know other teams around me (even just a few meters away) were much more strict and wouldn't have put up with it.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man... I wish I had a camera back in the day when I worked at a computer repair / custom built computer shop. We called each other all kinds of weird shit all the time and did whatever we wanted. One time our boss was braggin about how he got the first preorder for something and he yelled "WHEN I FUCKIN WALK IN A ROOM YOU SMELL THESE NUTS" right as an elderly lady was walking in to pick up her grandson's computer. We almost shit ourselves laughing.

Now I have a fatass boss who is always angry at something so I just try to avoid talking at all when I'm around him for fear that he may possibly eat me.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The trick to not offending people is just so start out very polite, and gradually "expand your vocabulary" to match those around you. Never be rude to anyone who you haven't already seen acting that way themselves. Never assume that just because a few people are okay with it, that the rest of the company will accept it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's the most sensible attitude. Behave until you know the score.

Then rape them in the eye.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've done so much Microsoft Sensitivity Training I think it's actually working now. Not only have I become more well behaved, I now get offended at the slightest lude comment. Which is unfortunate, since the training has no effect on anyone else. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    haha, that's priceless smile.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Aye, stay in the shallow end first to see if there are sharks deeper out hehe.

Smirnoffka, ozzies....swear? No fucking way, I don't believe it tongue.gif.

From the people I talk (have talked) to online via teamspeak, skype etc. everyone has pretty much been the same. Yanks, ozzies, brits, we've all abused each other mercilessly. So I was just sort of wondering the differences people have experienced when moving to the US. The guys on my mod team from the US dish out the abuse too, I'm just better at it laugh.gif

Or is it more of 'general public' difference?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I'll guess this without having any firsthand experience: in the US, if you say something offensive, someone may try to sue you. No other country is as lawsuit-happy as America is, and many people are always looking to get themselves an advantage. It's not so much actual lawsuits as it is the fear of one - companies may have to fire an 'offensive' employee whether he deserves it or not, because retaining him might be argued in court as the company condoning harassing behavior. If a smartass makes tit and ass jokes that a female coworker complains about, the company almost has no choice to fire him or risk being sued for huge piles of cash by said female - mental distress, emotional pain, hostile work environment, that sort of thing.

The tendency to blame others and take advantage for personal gain is the trait about Americans I dislike the most. Outside of the workplace or anywhere there is potential liability, I'm sure that Americans are as a raunchy and inappropriate as everyone else.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Who the fuck said aussies swear? That's fucking absured!
    In our studio, it seems to be pretty relaxed and we talk about all kinds of rubbish. We do have a few females that work here as well so I guess we keep that in mind when it comes to talk about certain topics. But on the odd chance we do cross the line, the worst response I've heard was "That's just wrong!".
    I guess it varies from place to place and just listen in to see how shit rolls. Like Rick said, "Then rape them in the eye."

-caseyjones
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    In my office the gay jokes, pedophile jokes, necrophilia jokes, and emo jokes run wild. The only time things get uncomfortable for some is when the topic of religion or politics comes up. And in those times, I've learned to watch what line I'm crossing, and try to remind others to do the same. There are a few women, but they are respected and hold their own with the crude humor. There are about a dozen of us, and it feels like a dysfunctional family at times.

It's a sign of the times when fucking a dead 12 year old boy in the ass while cutting yourself is less offensive than Jesus and George Bush.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Daz can you point of the difference between the US and UK on this subject? Just curious as to how the humour differs between them (and would be handy to know for people moving between the two countries hehe).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, for one Verms comment about potential lawsuits is the most important thing to consider. Call someone a fat Welshman in the UK and he's likely to either a) take it on the chin as banter and return the favour or b) punch you in the face. Make the same comments about someones physical appearance and ethnic origins in the workplace in California and you're in grave danger of a lawsuit.

Generally speaking I think working class Brits are much more prolific swearers than Americans. Many people I know back home use 'fucking' as a regular adjective, without even thinking about it or even trying to stress a point. It's not something I noticed before moving here, but now my swearing is limited to expressing anger or *really* stressing a point, but after many years at EA I don't really swear in the workplace anymore.

Also, I think that generally speaking the use of sarcasm and in particular sexual double entendre is far more prolific in a British (corporate) workplace than an American one.
    About 6 years ago, fresh off the boat here at the start of my tenure at EA redwood shores, I was working on some fx stuff for the game Agent Under Fire. Our senior dev. director was showing some EA exec around the floor and stopped by my cube to show them some stuff. I couldn't get my build to run, so the DD in question asked to look at my 'tool' (that's the moniker that Sony decided to give their PS2 devkit). So I start tittering like a schoolboy and saying 'oh yeah, you wanna examine my tool eh?! I'm calling HR!'. It wasn't even funny in hindsight. Just so ingrained in my psyche to do it. Naturally the 3 men just look at me with confused, concerned expressions.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I forgot to mention that EA Canada has more brits than Canadians now, I'm like one of 8 people on the team of 87 that was actually born in Canada. So british jokes run wild, our lead is from scotland so I enjoying yelling "if it's not scottish it's crap!" in a bad scottish accent. It's all in good fun and I always giggle when our lead environment renderer say "that's a bit of a fag," or it's gone pear shaped." One thing to note, growing up in Canada the word gay is used to describe something lame or crappy. We had a producer from San Fran on ssx4 and he was shocked at how everyone called everything gay. Needless to say we did not stop calling things gay when he was in the room.
  • MRFlynn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRFlynn polycounter lvl 18
    Hahaha ace, im gonna love it when I move to the poor US wink.gif I`l probaly take a detour to Canada 1st it seems, cheers Malcolm wink.gif

'oh yeah, you wanna examine my tool eh?! I'm calling HR!'. Daz, thats a bloody shame ^^ I think il probaly end up being sued sometime or other if I move the US 1st ;(
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I couldn't get my build to run, so the DD in question asked to look at my 'tool' (that's the moniker that Sony decided to give their PS2 devkit). So I start tittering like a schoolboy and saying 'oh yeah, you wanna examine my tool eh?! I'm calling HR!'. It wasn't even funny in hindsight. Just so ingrained in my psyche to do it. Naturally the 3 men just look at me with confused, concerned expressions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been having a similar good time with the use of the term "package" working with Unreal Engine 3. Just the other day I sent an email to a level designer with the subject line "Your Package." Sure it's immature and juvenile, but it's worth an occasional chuckle tongue.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I just had a discussion with a few coworkers about Will Riker wanting 10 year old boys and the real myth behind the shape of a Klingon's head being from newborn soft skull and the doctor having to reach in to Klingon vag and pull the baby out, thus leaving a hand print in its forehead.

Oh, and Klingon vag have teeth.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Working as an artist for a smaller company that's just getting going, office chatter of any manner is widely acceptable. I personally find it sometimes hard to express myself in the office without a curse here or there, and the occasional off the wall comments never seem to strike any nerves.

I think the best way to approach a situation like this is gradualism. If you really do have a rather sick sense of humor (don't second guess yourself now), ease it in, observe reactions, and draw a conclusion from there. I cannot imagine myself ever crossing the line simply because I try to see how others perceive an initial comment before releasing the true senseless personality that you'd share around friends. Unfortunately, some people think of work as just work, not a way to socially expand as well in and out of the office.

Adam...YES!

edit: Just realized this all has been said about three times...shucks.