Home General Discussion

Free Ageia PhysX Card to Mod Developer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
I got this card last year from Ageia, and have never had a chance to hand it off to a Mod lead as we never could gain one.

Its unfair that this device not be used for its intended purpose. I have never installed it as per had no access to a UED 3 at the time. At this point, I feel since it was given to me free for the purpose of Mod development with Ageia physics, that I pass it unto someone who will use it for that. Versus just using it as a consumer device (or gift).

So PM or email (no posts here) your mod. This mod must be on a engine using the Ageia card. Clones need not apply. Want to hand it off to a Mod team doing something different or maybe even something with social commentary. <u>Im serious on this part.</u> In fact, if you send me a CS or Quake 3 clone as a example, I will just PM you back laughing and making fun of your lack of originality.

I assume this will be used by your main physics programmer.

Since it was shipped to me free, I will do the same. Inside the continental US. If your in Europe or other. You will have to pay me for the shipping.

Replies

• Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    well thats pretty cool of you. our game makes use of physx, but since we're designing the physics with the mentality that the physx hardwarw will fail we are not using any of the physics stuff that needs hardware to run... therefore making me request the card for my programmer kind of pointless.
    however i hope some mod team that could use it and use it uniquely gets it.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Very generous of you. Mind if I ask how you got the card from Ageia? Win a competition?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I spoke to a rep after a demo at a IDGA meeting when they mentioned they wanted mod developers.

Im bumping this in case there are more who want to pipe in again through PM. I have had only two thus far.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    well thats pretty cool of you. our game makes use of physx, but since we're designing the physics with the mentality that the physx hardwarw will fail we are not using any of the physics stuff that needs hardware to run...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for OT but smart people use the hardware for eye candy only purposes, in case it does not fail wink.gif
    There is so much you can do with physics that does not change gameplay, like animated grass and flags and particles, fluids... the list goes on and on.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One last shoutout. I'm choosing tomorrow AM and shipping afternoon. Cant believe there aren't more mod developers interested in taking advantage of physics for gameplay versus eye candy.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I guess the problem is that unless their using an engine that makes use of ageia cards, they can't do much with it. And having gameplay physics require one of these cards dramatically cuts down the amount of people able to play it.

Hope you find a good home for it though smile.gif
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I could sure use it to increase my particle madness in City of Heroes. ^_^

Hahhaha!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm working with a team to create a game using the Torque engine, but I've been reluctant to request the card since I'm not taking part in the code right now. I hope to in the near future, but if you'd like any followup info, I doubt I'd be able to provide feedback for a bit.
    The game I'm helping with is at http://www.ascension-game.com in case you want to see proof of development wink.gif I'm working with the RenWerx group. I'm mainly there so the mod I'm part of can develop for the game, but I've been providing models for them to help fill some gaps. When we begin work on our mod for it, I'll be doing code (and more models).
  • Phopojijo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phopojijo polycounter lvl 18
    Kind-of doubt the practical purpose of a PhysX card for mod developers.

Now I'm not the one to shy away from creating multiplayer maps which only people of certain hardware can play -- why compromise quality for player quantities... but the general performance of multicore processors these-days seems to shroud the need for hardware-based physics solutions.

That said -- it should be great for developers given it would increase framerates before the "tweaktime" begins so as to not play a slideshow.

Congrats on your generosity. Sure apparently it was a free reference card, but it takes a fair amount of integrity to not just pawn the thing.

http://www.chimpire.com is my mod website -- but I'm DID NOT email you an application for the 3 following reasons:

1) I'm not sure how UT2007 handles physics
    2) I'm very early in to the mod, my 2 playblasts kind-of suck, and probably won't get it anyway tongue.gif
    3) There are many other mod makers who could use it.