Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Pirate

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
richkid polycounter lvl 17
just started this tonight, thought i would get some input on him.
Pirate.jpg

have fun crazy.gif

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Wow.. great style.
    cant really find anything wrong with him. but it might be helpful to post wires if you want crits on topology and poly usage.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yarrr Mate... Good start but I saw this last night when you showed it to me.

Don't forget his big jug of rum, a golden nipple ring, a bad ass sword.

and you could always modify him into that other character we talked about. Just change his props a little...
  • Fex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fex
    Love the style- eagerly awaiting the texture work. laugh.gif
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    ctr + a , then delete will work wonders on this!

this guy looks rad, got a drawin to go with him? or u just wingin it like usual? hows the red woods treatin ya? bored like I am in the south?
  • Kytos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kytos polycounter lvl 18
    I like the style. It reminds me of the characters in Alice.
  • kongni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kongni polycounter lvl 17
    Looks great!
    Now slap some textures up on that bad-boy! smile.gif
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks all, im not at my computer right now, otherwise i would toss up some wire frames. There is still some optimising to be done and i havn't got to the assymetrical parts yet. As far as i can remember, i think that he is at 3300 tris. Im going for a higher count, keeping a next gen approach to it, not enough high end cartoony stuff out there.

more posts to come.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is a new screen grab of the pirate, he is around 4000 tris. closing up the modeling stage, so if there are any qualms, speak now.

pirateGrab.jpg

thanks all confused.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh hell yeah. The peg leg rocks!!! I haven't seen a peg leg like that since I was traveling overseas. I will miss her...

Time to see some textures man. Maybe you could make this an SDK so we could all have some fun with him and have our boy Eric rig him for us so we can have a scene of fighting pirates.

Ahhh The Polycount Pirates...
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Real nice dude, great feel. My only crit is that his silhouette feels awfully chunky for a 4,000 tri model. Methinks maybe some optimizing or redistribution is in order. Other than that, can't wait for the texture!

poop.gif
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, i do see that in a few spots, i will poke around at him. thanks ben
    conceptPirate.jpg
    here is the concept that he was based off of.

and here are the starts to the texture.
    PirategrabTex3.jpg
    PirategrabTex2.jpg
    PirategrabTex.jpg

Enjoy, and keep the feedback flowing
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    he's cool, I like him. atm, it looks like he's falling backwards a bit. put the weight of his body at the knees a little more forward over his foot.
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool model - looks like he would be a hell of a lot of fun to animate as well! I agree you dont see as much cartoony stuff these days which is a shame - cant wait to see the final version of this crazy.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think your mesh has really captured your concept. He's missing a lot of the soft curves that give it so much charm. And at 4000 triangles, there's really no reason for that. Most noticeable are his pants... one loop giving it a very sharp boxing shape as apposed to the wonderful spherical the concept has.

I also prefer to the overly large bracer, which ironically suffers from the opposite problem... a loop thrown in the middle where I, personally, think none should go.

Looking at the wire frame, I'm thinking you spent too much on the hands and eyeballs. Throw some of those back into his silhouette to give his back that nice smooth arch, etc.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    has anybody played with the direct x fur shader in max, and know what the hell the sample scrollers are for. or maybe know it there is a better one floating around out there.

and thank you boys, for the animators out there, once it is done and rigged i think i am going to post him up for people to grab and play with.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sectaurs, thanks for the pointers. what do you think about this
    Cleanupgrab.jpg

made some of those changes, didn't really take anything out of the hands. this guys is meant mostyly for animation, so hands are a big part of personality, i hate seeing square hands when a character is gesturing.

other than that, any more crits more than welcome.

thanks all
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    for the animators out there, once it is done and rigged i think i am going to post him up for people to grab and play with.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You sir, are a star wink.gif
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like him, I think hes got lots of character to him! keep goin, im anxious to see how u handle the texturing.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry no post for a while, ive been on the road. just played with him a bit more, just some minor texturing.
    PirateGrabNormal3.jpg
    PirateGrabNormal2.jpg
    PirateGrabNormal.jpg

hope you likes, crits always needed, im startin to slow down so be rough so i stay busy.

peace crazy.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    He's looking good!

eyes no longer get caught on the obvious low-poly parts. Now finish his texture and release him!
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good!
  • Arkus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkus polycounter lvl 17
    AWW YEAAA - great character so far, love it! smile.gif

If you need some inspirations wink.gif
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0yI2MQf8Tk

good luck smile.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get this dude done. I want to make my own version so we can battle.

Maybe add a few new accessories to mine and a different sword and we can get these guys fighting.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, so i left my cord for my laptop at the coffee shop this weekend. Kinda put me a little behind. I hope to have this up for download for you guys by this upcoming weekend.
    PiratePoseGrab2.jpg
    just a little weighting to do still, and some touchups on the texture.

thanks
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, i know i said he would be ready by this weekend that just past... sorry. had a little personal drama, but he is done now and im going to post it up tommorow. I should be fine with the bandwidth, i don't think too many will grab it, but if there are too many than my friend offered to host it. So for now, here is a screen grab, and come back tuesday afternoon for some action.

GrabEnd.jpg

and remember this is just a print screen out of max, so you will need to dl j.i. styles dx skin shader for it to look like that when you get it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want him now! It's tuesday at 1:40 Pacific Standard time... Where is he? I'm gonna call you in an hour and mutter bad words into your ear if I don't get my pirate...
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn jesse, you needy bitch. well kids, its that time, come get some lovin
    http://richkidlabs.com/PirateDL.rar

the only thing that i ask, give credit if you use it, and send me a link to your animation or texture so i can see what my baby has been doing since i sent him into the world.

also, i incluced the J.I. styles fx shader, im not sure if all the paths are aligned, so you might have to do some shit to get the textures on there. if anybody knows how to export the whole thing into a package, hit me with it.

now that i have rambled for a while, i will quit.

loves

p.s.
    next up im modeling a bunch of carnys, should be fun.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needy.. You wait pal until I see you in the halls again. I waited all day for the pirate and now that it's almost 7PM it's finally up. Thanks buddy.

Now get working on that Seal Boy concept and crank out those carnys... You crazy kid.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    call me fat and lazy but i wanna see renders! i dont wanna have to download it to see him =)

oh I im pretty sure you just archive the whole thing, its like making a project in that other program...
  • spinal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spinal polycounter lvl 17
    Don't you just love pirates laugh.gif...Cool model. Keep 'em coming.