Home General Discussion

xbox360 or wii or ps3?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Right so I've played the wii at a friends house and it is fucking hilarious, I will definately purchase one as soon as they are back in stock. I am also going to get a non party game console and I can't decide which. I've looked at the ps3 release list and there are only 2 games I can think of that will not be available on the xbox360, metal gear and motor storm. So yeah, why would anyone want a ps3 there are no good games specific to that platform all the way to 2008? I could give a rats ass about live action movies so I don't really care that it has bluray dvd. Opinions, suggestions?

Replies

• flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Metal Gear is rumored to be a multiplatform cause of Konami's worries about the number of ps3's coming out, and Test Drive Unlimited is an awesome counterpart to motor storm (unless it's purely off-road kind of stuff you're looking for). My only comment / concern regarding the Wii that is keeping me from getting one is that it's definitely fun to play against others but if you're playing alone it's not as fun (heck, even the advertising suggests playing with other people in person), and while I don't know much about it, I've heard plenty of grumblings about how MP over the net is set up. The Wii definitely presents itself as a party console in my mind. With the 360, you get a solid platform (now with a full 1 year warranty) and should get sign up for Live Gold, a really good MP experience combined with Live Arcade (plenty of great quick-play arcade games to purchase, good for when you don't have a lot of time to dedicate to a game but still want to play something).
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    i like my 360, its got good games and probably alot more good ones to come since it looks like the easiest console to develop for. I'd say its here to stay and by the time people learn how to use the ps3 properly the next xbox is gonna be out, which is most likely not going to be too soon, and i like that they're trying to keep it backwards compatible.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    It's hard to recommend the PS3 this year. I'm having a blast with Motorstorm (no multiplayer :[) and I'm checking out Gran Turismo HD but apart from that, the 360 has more titles and is cheaper.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    To me the best bet is the wii 360 combo as its just as expensive as the ps3 when combined and you'll have a better selection of games.

The wii totally the party system when smash bros comes out for the wii I'll have to get one, that or a jedi game...

The 360 has the next gen looks and games but not the price making it a no brainer to me.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    Took me 4 hours to sell 1 PS3 today =[. Nobody wanted it! boggled my mind, since not two days ago I had at least 30 people ask if we had them in.

Anyways, I have a Wii, and a 360. I love the combination, because when I want to play solo, or online i just use the 360, but when I have friends over for just some chill time, the Wii is the thing thats brought out (unless for some gears or Vegas co-op).

My only complaint about the Wii is the lack of a Darts game in Wii-Sports

(Hey, wouldn't lawn darts be awesome aswell?)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    hmm, i guess 360 is the logical choice right now since - worthwhile or not - there is almost nothing on ps3 so far? but i cannot think of any particularly interesting 360 games either and with xb-live and accessoires summed up, the thing is not exactly cheap and ridiculously noisy.

i would just get that wii for the time being and sit the next-gen war out for a while. i'd expect ps3 to become the host platform for all those nifty jap games (okami, colossus and the likes) again. wouldn't want to miss that kind of stuff.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    My only complaint about the Wii is the lack of a Darts game in Wii-Sports

I think that's in Wii Play.

i'd expect ps3 to become the host platform for all those nifty jap games (okami, colossus and the likes) again.

Sony tends to boss developers of those games around (the reason many of those quirky games never got a US release) so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some migration to other platforms. The Wii has the weakest tech so it's the easiest (read: cheapest) to make a game for that doesn't look too bad compared to other games on the platform and the controller would probably help with many quirky game designs (Okami's painting for example).
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    darts game is in Super Monkey Ball.

otherwise i also have the wii360 combo. sure the ps3 just came out, but as you said there are really only 2 exclusive games till 2008 that you want, the choice is obvious friend. worst case you sell one of them later on and get a ps3. or rent one for the specific game you want
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Wii360. Suck it up and do it. Especially with that nice new HDTV of yours Malcolm! Man party is going to be rocking in the new year!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Very well it is settled, I will grab the 360 in January and the wii as soon as I can find one. I've borrowed a 360 from work for the holidays and played through gears of war for the second time last night, looks fucking nice on 32" 720p native. I also picked up tomb raider for only 29 bucks? Finished it on the pc but that game is great.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Wii60

get it right chaps!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Be sure to toss your gamertag up on the thread in the Archives!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I´d get the 360 and wii combination. I will when the wii is released in bigger quantities here in sweden, it´s kind of hard to get one right now smile.gif

Already have a 360 and i must say. Xbox is king when it comes to games. Especially for me. I´ve never really liked the japanese games.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The demand for PS3s seems to have plummeted, I have a friend who works at Fred Meyer and he says they sit on the shelves while the Wiis fly off like hot cakes (hot cakes?).

I don't see a point in buying the PS3, especially over the cheaper xbox 360, with a year's worth of titles already, and better graphics than the PS3!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Harsh or simply telling them like it is?
    http://www.news4gamers.com/wii/News-19923.aspx

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes, that's a bold statement from Newell If real. Interesting, thanks.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    According to 1up, more PS3s are being returned to stores than bought. Fallout from people trying to sell them for extra cash or people receiving them for Christmas and not wanting them, I don't know. But if that's true, then that is a crazy statistic.

...Meanwhile I've woken up super early twice now to get a Wii and am still Wii-less. frowny-face
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I own a 360, and still plan on picking up a Wii at some point this year (when you can stroll in and buy one). I'll likely pick up a PS3 as well, when there are more great titles for it. PS3 simply costs too much right now, and doesn't have enough killer software.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a Wii and a 360 and no plans of buying a PS3 anytime soon. I have played the Wii more in the month I have had it, than the 360 the entire time I have had it (2 months after launch). Until recently the 360 had only a handful of titles I was interested in, but one or two always manged to keep me coming back to it.

That might should like a resounding vote the Wii, but really the 360 is the one I would recommend. Mostly because the Wii wow factor fades pretty quick and the small library of games doesn't help. Like TGZ said a good jedi game and SuperSmash Brothers are a must and will really keep the console going.

First person shooters on the Wii are a joke and with the lack of power it shouldn't even try to compete in the ubber realistic shooter world. I'm not saying they can't do shooters like metroid on the cube but just stay away from realistic shooters like Call of Duty. Call of Duty (the first one) looked good for its day but as the chain drags on it is getting its assets handed to it by other games of the same genre. Being on the Wii doesn't help the graphics or the controls.

I really don't think you can beat the 360 for good looking games and excellent online multi player support. Unless you start talking about a PC hooked up to your bigscreen playing over live. (which is coming =)

Like TGZ pointed out if it comes down to getting a Wii/360 combo or just a PS3, I think its pretty clear which way to go.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not as much of a shooter fanatic as I used to be so I'm kind of regretting my 360 purchase. My PS2 and DS have been getting the most play time, I'm kind of on a Final Fantasy kick right now.
  • Nogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm willing to bet that in the coming years, the PS3 will pick up. Most people say that it's always been luck and timing on Sony's success with the Playstation 1 and 2, but they must've had some kind of GOOD business thought process behind to back it.

I'd say for those who want a quick fix for video gaming, between the 360 and the PS3, get the 360. I'd be happy enough to wait another year or two before fully evaluating which console has more games I'd like.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Bought the Wii by christmas and planning to buy the 360 as soon as i get enought money for it and for all stuff i want to buy first :\ About the Wii, loving it, too bad that i can't find much stuff here in Portugal, bought a wiimote and there weren't any nunchuks, games just Zelda and one or 2 more...
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    yep, might very well happen again. after all, the majority of buyers are not video game hardcore consumers, do not read nerdy web blogs and do not care at all about who has the longest d*ck in this biz. all they want is those popular titles x and y with mass market appeal. and of course, to many, "playstation" seems to be a synonyme for games console itself.

anyway, i'm very unimpressed with the PS3 kit so far. feels wrong in so many ways - hardware and software alike. the amount of screwups built into that box amazes me on each (work)day again and again.
    as much as i despise microsoft and fees for online services like xblive, their system just feels better allround, more geared towards gaming, a step up from their previous box - and not a step downwards... it's just that you become deaf quickly if you own one of those. wink.gif

the lineup however i find utterly dissapointing. i don't think a platform is driven by those uninspired license/FPS/sports titles from the usual suspects. half of the xb titles seem to be shooters that don't even work all too well with a joypad. if some shallow thing like GoW is the killerapp for your system, then it's a bit too early to celebrate, i guess. wink.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Most people say that it's always been luck and timing on Sony's success with the Playstation 1 and 2, but they must've had some kind of GOOD business thought process behind to back it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think most people wouldn't say that it was luck and timing at all, but good business sense, and a very good product. Things that would appear to be absent from the equation in the case of the PS3.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Wow Thomasp, for so much anger directed towards MS I have to wonder what they did to you (or if it's just a result of hearing everyone else rag on them so much).

GoW is an incredibly solidly designed game, very fun, and quite interesting characters. I think you might benefit from not being SO uptight on your game selection.
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    The Xbox 360 indeed looks the best of the bunch, and Bioshock and Mass Effect aren't even out yet. smile.gif
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    anger? all i wish is that a company with business practices like theirs would not succeed at conquering yet another market.
    if you like GoW, more power to you. my game selection i prefer to pick myself still, but who tells you that i'm uptight? do you know what i'm playing right now or what? wink.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    So far as I can tell MS has just as good of, or better business practices than it's competitors. Of late I would actually say it has the best. But, of course, whoever is on the top will always be condemned.

As for the game selection, I'm attributing your uptightness to the huge generalizations and uninformed statements in your post. You may not like GoW, however it is still an incredibly well built game. Thus, even if you don't like it some respect should be due. Yet you mocked it. The same goes for many of the other games. 360 only uninspired licenses? Viva Pinata, Bioshock, Mass Effect, GoW, R* Table Tennis, Geometry Wars, Psychonauts getting ported over, etc...

As for the liscenses issue, if you don't like them, might as well quit games. Companies need to make money, and already established IPs is often the best way to do that. (Why do you think Nintendo just builds on their same 4. DK, Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon)
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    I'm currently trying to get a 360 from one of those 'refer a friend' sites. I wont spam the refferal link here, but you can pm me if you want to experiment. Only need 6 more signups. But I wont pay for it unless they release the HDMI/IPTV version this year.

PS3 is nearing dead for me. They keep dropping titles. Warhawk is now being changed to a short downloadable game. And the PS2 graphical quality issue is pretty fucked up.

The wii may be bought by my girl, but I don't see how it can be fun. They pretty much ruined it for me by forcing me to be active if I want to play the next nintendo franchise title.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Man, if wiggling your wrist is "active" I guess a lot more computer nerds can claim to have an active lifestyle now.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    DDR kills me after one song. Not everyone is as healthy as you think. Swinging my arm around for 10 mins is probably the most I could do without joint pain. I like to relax when I play a game. Especially Nintendo's lighthearted franchises.

What about the physically limited? No Wii for them?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really enjoying my 360, and have no plans for another console. The game library is big enough that I have several options for any genre I'm interested in, the graphics are excellent, and the multimedia functionality is plenty for my needs. I've never been much of a colsole guy due to crappy graphics fidelity, but now that I've got something that I can output excellent graphics to a high def display, I am rapidly becoming a convert. Plus, the 5.1 surround sound can really make my new baby jump. Quite entertaining. smile.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I was lucky enough to get a free Wii as a Christmas bonus from work and I'm definately looking at buying a 360 soon. Like most people have mentioned, the Wii is definately a 2+ player console (at present time anyway). I've played very little of Zelda and just keep going back to Wii Sports, Wii Play and Rayman, because you and your friends look like complete twats waving your arms about and getting too deep into the game... which makes it fun!
    I've had no interest in the PS3 so far, I only picked up a PS2 late last year mainly for Street Fighter III but have managed to grab a bunch of awesome games aswell in the process(God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid, etc) making it a sweet buy.
    All in all, Wii60 combo all the way!

-caseyjones