Home General Discussion

why god, why?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
okay not only was the fantastic four, in my opinon is probably the worst superhero movie ever made, they are making another one.. and the silver surfer is in it... terminator 2 had much better metal guy effects, the silver surfer looks pretty crappy.. might be cause its not coming out till summer, but still looks like garbage..
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/fantasticfourriseofthesilversurfer/large.html

Replies

• Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Gaah. What makes it really bad, is that in all the parts where you can see the surfer's face, theres just a dumpy expression. Not even a good 'hey, I can totally waste you, but this is just a test' kinda expression. Even worse since they gave him a full set of eyes (yuk!)
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    haha, the name is comedy gold!
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    I wouldn’t say Fantastic 4 was the worst superhero movie ever made, I still hold the likes of the Punisher, Captain America, Elektra, and Batman & Robin for that spot. Don’t get me wrong FF4 was very mediocre but at least it was watch able. While I thought the first movie was horribly cast with the exception of Johnny Storm and Ben Grim it was on some humble levels entertaining. Now my film snob half probably wouldn’t want to see this movie until it hit’s DVD but the inner 13 year old comic geek is salivating to see Silver Surfer on the big screen for the first time and more than likely the inner 13 year old geek will win out and catch the mattene! As for the Silver Surfers metal effects well yeah the don’t look that great but I think the effects team given more time can play with the lighting and shaders to pull off more of a godly reflective look.

Marcus Dublin

Artist – Kaos Studios

New portfolio art coming 2/20/07!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I think the Fantastic 4 can get away with being slightly cheesy. The idea behind the 4 heroes is silly on its own.

I don't think the surfer looks terrible on this. I put as much weight on a good story as cg effects. Could use more polish tho. To me he appears mechanical and lifeless in his animation. Boring.

btw, I think the recent Punisher film was awesome.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    okay not only was the fantastic four, in my opinon is probably the worst superhero movie ever made

[/ QUOTE ]

Alas, Batman & Robin still holds that illustrious distinction. Nothing rivals George Clooney in a muscle suit with nipples.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought The Punisher was awesome. If anything, just for the scene where Travolta throws his wife over the bridge.

Either way, this trailer actually surprised me. Maybe I went in with low expectations. Certainly looks more entertaining than the first movie.

Definatley a rent. maybe.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I'll buy it just like the first when it drops to 7.99 at fred meyer. I got the first one that way and it didn't feel that bad when i watched it. I just want to see where they go with the use of silver surfer and how cool galactus looks in cg at the end. My guess is they will make 3 ff4 movies. The next one being about the battle with galactus himself.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Personally, I enjoyed the first one despite its cheesiness.
    I think this looks fun.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    For those of us who don't know what the Silve Surfer is about, such as myself, what's his deal? Is he a good guy or a bad guy?

Personally I thought the first movie wasn't that bad if you went in knowing it was a popcorn summer flick. Just like I enjoyed the recent Punisher movie and will probably enjoy Transformers or Ghost Rider. Sometimes it's just fun to turn off the brain and enjoy some nice cheesy storytelling and over the top special effects. Isn't that why we play so many first person shooters too?
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    Personally I like the early 90's Fantasic Four movie. I never bothered seeing the real one.
  • Thegodzero
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    It's a superhero movie based on a comic book, were you expecting the next Citizen Kane?

I didn't think the first one was completely awful, and I thought this trailer actually looked pretty cool. I won't be rushing out to see it on the day of release but I think it looks like it could be fun and I'll definitely go see it when it comes out.

That being said, I think the Transformers movie trailer looks way more cheesy than this.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    If you think the first one was bad, you should see the original FF movie, (never released), that was pretty much only made so that the studio could hold onto the rights of the movie.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109770/
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's a superhero movie based on a comic book, were you expecting the next Citizen Kane?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, you're right! A superhero movie based on a comic book could never aspire to anything except a cheesy action flick.

.. I really hope the Watchmen movie gets rolling again and blows that stereotype away.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you think the first one was bad, you should see the original FF movie, (never released), that was pretty much only made so that the studio could hold onto the rights of the movie.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109770/

[/ QUOTE ]
    That trailer is gold. Kinda reminds me of Flash Gordon.

EDIT:High Res version
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_X5C6e3ZeY
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    That trailer is gold. Kinda reminds me of Flash Gordon.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_X5C6e3ZeY

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG that looks all kinds of awesome!!!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I'd still watch it.

looks OK IMHO
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    The only thing I liked about that was the Brian Posehn cameo.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    So Silver Surfer just flies through a heap of things meanwhile the 'hero' burns and smashes his way the city causing property damage and risking lives. Yeah.

Dude just wants to surf.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I've become overly critical of films that feature "Composite New York City". Either make up your own city, or use NYC as its laid out. Don't mix and match parts together to suit your whim, or add large swathes of space that don't really exsist.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've become overly critical of films that feature "Composite New York City". Either make up your own city, or use NYC as its laid out. Don't mix and match parts together to suit your whim, or add large swathes of space that don't really exsist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? It's fiction, innit?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how the space needle gets used in a bunch of late night talk shows. Its normally tucked off to one side or the other but they always seem to use it. /shrug

Rick has a point, fiction.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

all films do it.
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    You know, I didn't like the first fantastic 4 (but I was tired while watching it, and fell asleep a lot) and this trailer for the sequel, has convinced me to give it another chance.

The Silver Surfer isn't liquid metal, hes silver..

just like in the trailer, I think the effects are awesome and yes, I like how the silver surfer causes basically no harm, and johnny storm causes all kinds of crazy desctruction. As for the Silver surfer, I'm sure you can read about him on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Surfer
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...cheesy action flick.

.. I really hope the Watchmen movie gets rolling again and blows that stereotype away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ofcourse that analogy is absolutely perfect, because watchmen and Fantastic Four have so much in common. It's the directors fault that FF isn't a grimy, multilayered masterpiece, right?

i mean, amirite?
    FF is destined to be cheesy.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ofcourse that analogy is absolutely perfect, because watchmen and Fantastic Four have so much in common. It's the directors fault that FF isn't a grimy, multilayered masterpiece, right?

i mean, amirite?
    FF is destined to be cheesy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you understood.

The Watchmen and The Fantastic Four are both superhero movies based on comic books. That is what they have in common(although FF has already been released). I quoted AstroZombie who said:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The general consensus was that the trailer looked cheesy, and this quote implies that a "superhero movie based on a comic book" can only be cheesy. I didn't say it should be a grimy, multi-layered masterpiece. I'm not even arguing that a FF movie shouldn't be cheesy. And I definitely didn't say anything about any director.

I just said it doesn't have to be, am i rite?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i am sorry, i have seen some horrible comic movies in my time, but FF is the only one i couldn't even finish, it boggles my mind that it made money and there is a sequel. it didnt even have the novelty of being so bad its good, or even watchable.
    personally i think silver surfer looks like a poser model with a stock reflection map applied.. i mean it never even looks like he is actually reflecting the environment around him.. it could be part of his mystical powers, to be in this world and reflect the environments of other completely different world, or perhaps he is so fast he is reflecting places he was a few days ago.. i am not sure.. in some of those shots he is practically glowing white in low light situations.. it just makes no sense..
    oh well just my 2 cents, i dont think anyone who likes it however is a tool or anything, i personally just see nothing whatsoever redeemable about the trailer for this movie.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'd guess theyre probably trying to mimic the way he looks in the comics- which I've not read but I assume he's drawn as super bright silver. In film though it just looks superimposed like those old movies where they have guys in a car and a screen behind them playing moving road
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    i dont think anyone who likes it however is a tool or anything

[/ QUOTE ]

On the contrary, I am a tool tongue.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slainean: I see your point, but there's a certain point where a comic becomes a graphical novel, isn't there? Or, to put it less intelligently (i hate being uncharacteristic): there's comics, and there's *comics*
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Its all about the writers, and to put it bluntly f4 never had great writers. The characters are interesting but very flat. f4 could never be with out MASIVE changes a movie about deep characters. Thing is a f4 movie shouldn't be about that it should be a summer movie, big explosions, little plot and lots of stupid fun moments.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    if i see one more trailer that goes whooosh-CLANG over the top of slow-motion cuts, i am going to do something very, very naughty with this bottle of poison and a local pumping station.

i've said it before and i'll say it again, if you can't make a 2 minute trailer out of your 90 minutes of film without it being totally formulaic and deeply uninspiring, you really ought to get another job
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then again, trailers can end up giving entirely *too much away if they're filled with 'all the good bits'. I hate it when i sit in the cinema thinking to myself "so i paid for all of the filler that the trailer didn't give away for free"
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    The only watchable part of the first movie was Johnny Storm. I just love the fact that he was a superhero who _enjoyed_ being a superhero, (ala Dash from the Incredibles) and wasn't some emo hero crying over lost loved ones or whatever else is their frickin' problem. Boo Hoo Hoo.
    Yes it was a bad movie, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Which - to be fair - wasn't a whole lot, but my expectations going in were somewhere around the 0 mark.
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    how can you guys talk about bad superhero/marvel movies without anyone even mentioning the ultimate classic "Nick fury:agent of SHIELD" with none other than DAVID HASSELHOFF as SHIELD director Nicholas Fury. I hope they cast him in the same role in the upcoming ironman/avengers movies.

but looking at the recent marvel comics in the Ultimate universe, he will probably be played by Samuel L jackson as the artists has obvisouly used him as their reference wink.gif

oops.too nerdy.sorry.

Im a bit eeked about ff2 using the silver surfer, if they dont put in galactus..hmmmm..maybe ff3, Galactus, now THAT would be cheesy goodness!
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    I never knew about a Nick Fury movie, that sounds hilarious. I do remember the awful Captain America movie, an the equally bad television movies Captain America, and Captain America II: Death Too Soon.
    captainamerica1mf3.gif
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    blah i'd hit i- err see it.

i can see that the studio execs wanted to have dopey puppy dog eyes to make the surfer appear more human and benign like the colossi in SotC or the movie Dinosaur or Betty Boop...

And its the silver surfer, he can reflect whatever he wants whenever he wants! I hope the reflections on his body will contain easter eggs like jessica alba in the shower or marion barry hitting the crack pipe <again> or 2 dogs humping or something or other....
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i agree with arshlevon i felt pained atempting to watch the the current fantastic four. and i'm known for my ability to love bad movies. but it wasnt even entertaining for a bad movie. and yes,.. its completely possible to make good comic movies.. sin city , v for vendetta (well i didnt love it but it was ok) but it takes a good director and writer, and someone who cares about the project, even fantastic four could be made into a good movie, if it wasnt filled with quirky one liners and visuals that "the kids dig" acording to 50 year old movie execs