Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

first model for sale

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Japhir polycounter lvl 16
hey, i've just put up my first very simple creation for sale.
here
Crits welcome, at the same time i'm working on the textures:
perfectmanwip2sn4.jpg
and on another guy which should be up to buy soon:
other forums

c and c's welcome!

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, personally I would have done a lot more work on this before offering it for sale.
    I can see a lot of problems with it in terms of mesh work - the most noticeable bad area is the set of long, thin edges on either corner of his mouth - they're shading really badly and shouldn't be modelled this way. You should probably merge all the points nearest the mouth.

You're also using more polygons than necessary around the top/side of the skull, those extra edges will never be noticed with a good texture.

The eyes also seem to be modelled too wide and simplistic - they look like a 6-sided sphere inside a 6-sided shape, you should round that out more obviously, and maybe close the eyelids a little so he doesn't have such a scary staring look.

As for the texture so far, i'd worry more about the skin tones and lighting angle before getting worried about such detail as stubble and veins in the eyes - his flesh has a very plain look, there's very little colour variation, it looks like you've been using dodge and burn tool only (which is not a good idea for flesh IMHO).

You also need more shadow around the eyes, they're looking very cartoony - darken the whites a little and put much more shadow and detail around the inside of his eye socket.

I just don't think this model is of a saleable quality yet, it needs more work before you should offer it to others. I'd be interested to see who (if anyone) would buy it at the current stage.

As for the other model, the proportions are good (since you're basing it off Loomis reference drawings), it's hard to tell about the mesh construction due to not seeing wireframe images, but it seems alright.
    It's texture is showing similar problems to this face though - large, blotchy shading with no realistic colour variation, and no obvious light source - you're just highlighting areas which bulge outwards, and shadowing in the cracks, which is not really how light works. Pick a light source for your diffuse texture and try to figure out which areas would become highlighted and shadowed, it's quite a complicated process but worth putting effort into, the results will be much improved over your current texture.

Definitely keep practising with this stuff though, i'm sure you'll improve very quickly. smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Seven Dollars fifty? Are you serious?
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks very much for your reply! I was wondering what was missing with the skin texture, but i couldn't really figure it out, so thanks a lot! i'll just leave the head be and make my character perfect blush.gif (at least... thats what i intend to do) I'll post up some wires too:
    characternv4.jpg
    here is the texture as it is right now:
    charactertextureyp8.jpg
    don't mention the hair, im just starting on that and i know its ugly atm. i'll soon try adding a light source and refining it. thanks again for your comment!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Autor have good sense of humor=)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, now that I've seen the wireframes for that guy's body, I'd have to say you need a fair bit of work on that too - his shoulders have too few polys, they won't deform correctly if animated, and currently look really sharp and have an obvious low-poly silhouette.

You could also cut down on the poly usage elsewhere to make up for this, his feet could easily be optimised without losing any shape detail, the arms (especially forearms) look a bit wobbly too, you could refine their shape and probably use polygons more efficiently there too.

As for the UV-layout, the head has far too little space in comparison to other areas, for example his leg UVs take up about 1/4 of the texture yet are not gonna need much detail, they're not a focal point, but the head UVs are tiny and will end up being very obviously low-res if anyone zooms in on that areal. Did you check your texture density with a checkerboard pattern or image to see how the pixel size was distributed?
    I'd re-work that UV layout to be more consistent and focused on areas where detail is needed, before you go any further with the texture.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks again! i did check the uv distribution with a checker material and right now everything gets equal pixel attention (or whatever you call that) I thought about resising the head uv's but they now have exactly as much pixels si i figured it to be ok. Thanks again.. i'll first rework the model a bit.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is the model after some tweaking: still got a lot to do, thanks for making me realise that grin.gifcharacternd0.jpgcharacterxk3.jpg
    characteroj5.jpgcharacterlx3.jpg

i'll round out the eyes also
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, that's an improvement.
    The close-up shot of the face makes me realise that it still needs a lot of work too - take a look at the eyes and ask yourself "do my eyes look like that?"
    if your answer is yes, then you're probably in a lot of pain and people look at you strangely when you walk down the street smile.gif

that guy's eyeballs are far too sunken inside his eyelids, the eyelids should be tighter to the curve of the eyeball. His eyes also seem to be too far apart, and the nose is an odd shape.
    Find more reference of people's faces (or look in a mirror often while you're modelling) and make sure the shapes you see in life are being created in the model. At the moment they're quite far off - Loomis' drawings were good, but an image of this size and detail just won't do for a face template - you need higher-res images, preferably photographs.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    and i would pay a bit more attention to edge flow in the face smile.gif
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i realised that when posting those images and i already started working on that... thanks!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    i'd say you need a hell of alot more practice before you go and try to sell your models. i mean i've seen alot worse on turbosquid and maybe someone will buy your model, but if you want to make any serious money you're gonna have to do better than this. don't mean to be discouraging, just saying, you need alot of practice. i would definitely research low poly mesh topology online, look for wireframes and see how other people do it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thanks for your comments. I did make this model to make money with it becouse I need that right now, but i surely did it too for practice and fun. Otherwise I would simply work in some sort of store or something. I am currently busy improving the head a lot becouse it sucks atm. (when i created it i didn't really care about quads etc. becouse the shape was more important.)
    thanks for your replies, ill post some more wips soon
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, i tried posing him like a more popular pose and it turned out i had way to few poly's on the shoulderpits. So i've been busy with that for now and this is how it turned out: (still might delete some polies on the shoulders though, but not today grin.gif) characterap2.jpg

by the way... i selected all the edges and then went: normals>hard edges or something like that but my hands just wont display with hard edges... any idea how? (i'm using maya)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    try using normals -> unlock normals, might fix the smoothing problem.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes it worked! thanks!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, here is the shoulder in the new pose. its pretty hard to get the polygon flow correct there.. this is how it looks atm:
    charactertu5.jpg
    any ideas/suggestions on how to get the polygon flow correct? (the muscles are quite different in this pose, so i'll have to tweak a lot) characteryn9.jpg
    characteraq9.jpg
    c&c's welcome! thanks
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, i've been working on the hands and head for the last couple of days, here is where i'm at: charactersv5.jpg
    characterwj0.jpg
    the head had much more polys but i wanted to stay under 2000 in total so i had to merge a lot... might undo that though.
    it is really ennoying to make a beatifull polygonflow and the head was great but then i had to make it all low-poly again becouse otherwise it didn't match with the model very well... well any crits/comments?