Home General Discussion

Children of Men

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Striff polycounter lvl 18
Absolutely bloody fantastic movie. Probably the best movie I have seen this whole year. It really makes you think.

Loved the fighting scenes in the movie, and the whole cinematography in general. Clive put in another great performance as well. The only thing I didn't really like was the ending, it left a little to be desired.

Anyone else seen it?

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Cool. It looked to have huge potential but I wasn't too sure about the trailer. It looked cheezy toward the end, but I'll check it out for sure.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Caught an advance screening when I was in Melbourne... and I really enjoyed it. Bravura cinematography (watch for the extra-extended takes!) and a really excellent job of imagining a grim, but realistic future.
    This may sound really nerdy, but it's like the filmic version of HL2. They don't give you much up front about how exactly the world's been going to shit, but there is tons and tons of clues and interesting info from the environment, news clippings, etc.
    While the performances are for the most part very low-key, they're appropriate to what the movie is about and consistent with its overall tone. It makes my best of the year list, easy.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm almost out of cinemas by now over here... was unsure so far.
    But maybe I will go to one of these 11pm weekday shows wink.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, it was awesome - i caught it over here a few months back when it first came out... probably my favourite film this year.
    gauss nailed it, it's grim but realistic, and awesomely filmed.
    the effects were some of the most believable i've seen in a while - not over-the-top explosions, just awesomely powerful sounds and believable visuals. top stuff!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    loved it as well,same reasons as stated above.

Spoliers: i was simply moved by that scene when the battle in the building was ground to a halt,the bullets stopped and peoples reaction all around,it was like a small breath of hope in an otherwise hopeless story.
  • PedramK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    absolutely loved it!, best film iv seen a long long time.
    and the baby scene, nuts! i didnt believe that was 3d
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll need to go see this soon then, if it's not out of cinemas allready. The trailer really appealed to me, but i couldn't get anyone to go see it with me. I'll just be the lonely nerd at the movies, nothing new about that, heh. This is definately a movie that seems like it has extra big-screen value, if i'm to go by the trailer.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

This may sound really nerdy, but it's like the filmic version of HL2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep hearing this from different people and it really makes me wanting to see the movie. But it only lasted a couple of weeks here and I missed it unfortunately.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I think it'd definitely lose something from the hard-hitting scenes if you just saw it at home on a TV... the sound and visuals really need to be experienced in a cinema, IMHO.
    Either that or get the DVD when it comes out and watch it at someone's house who has a huge screen and awesome surround sound.

PedramK, I didn't believe it was 3D either, funny thing was my girlfriend called it being CG, and I didn't believe her until we got home and checked smile.gif
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    it's great! quite a funny movie in parts too, especially when Peter mullan's fascist cop starts speaking in third person.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I was hanging out with friends that are in the movie industry over the weekend and they were talking about the best movies of the year. This movie was one that kept getting brought up that they were all excited to see. I'm really looking forward to checking this out this weekend.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    it's great! quite a funny movie in parts too, especially when Peter mullan's fascist cop starts speaking in third person.

[/ QUOTE ]

"now show us your fugee face!"

unexpected bit of hilarity, that. smile.gif
    i'm guessing everyone caught the very specific nod to the Abu Ghraib torture scandal? they definitely made sure it was on screen long enough, but man, that was haunting.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damnit, it's out of cinemas allready in these parts. I need more huge-screen owning friends, none of my current ones are particularly well-endowed in that department. pfft.
  • Major Clod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Major Clod polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing film, was on holidays for the majority of its run in Australia, but managed to catch the very last showing in my city on the big screen. Absolutely the only place you should first see this movie, even a decent home theatre will not do this justice. The cinematography is awesome, those extra extra long takes in the action scenes were amazing (imagine the choreography required!)

As mentioned earlier, it felt much like the film version of HL2. You're thrust into the story with no explanation as to why the world is in this situation, and often left fill in the gaps from all of the information seen in the heavily detailed world.

Absolutely cannot wait to see this again.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i toughed the ending was excellent kinda the only kind of ending this movie could have had smile.gif everything else would have destroyed the movie if you ask me !!!

awesome movie awesome ending !!!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Just caught this movie yesterday. I was really impressed. Easily one of my favorite films of the years. There weren't a lot of cuts. It reminded me of the restaurant shot in Goodfellas at times.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    Just caught the film tonight and I have to say that I was really impressed, This is really an awesome film from beginning to end, with one of the most original concepts to come around in quite some time. I feel it's right up there with the likes of 12 Monkeys, Gattaca, Mad Max, etc. This movie had me thinking about it on the way home and I just can't wait to see it again, really powerful stuff! This is turning out to be one hell of an Oscar season for movies with the likes of Apocalypto, Pans Labyrinth, Babel, The Good Shepard, The Departed, etc.

Marcus Dublin

Artist - Kaos Studios

PS: Mexican Directors are on a role, one of these guys had better take home an Oscar this Year!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I loved it, missed it in the states, but caught it in Iceland!

poop.gif
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Seen this yesterday, pretty cool...reminded me of Y: The Last Man...
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Just saw it. Amazing movie, and the HL2 comment is spot on. The scene where he watches the uprising guys run down the street shooting behind them at the military is pretty much straight out of the game (ie. awesome). The outfits even look very similar.

[spoilers]
    I have two gripes, though, both occuring around the scene where the soldiers see the baby and stop fighting. First is the girl's acting right before it. I mean, she's just been kidnapped, everyone around her is dying, and the building is being blow up yet she acts perfectly calm and even throws in a wise-crack. She should be hysterical at this point. The same problem occurs at the ending.

Secondly, after the soldiers let them pass and start shooting at the building again, not a single soldier follows them away. That's ridiculous. Here they are practically on the ground praying, yet out of this entire group of people not one thought that it would be a good idea to try and follow the baby. Yeah, just let the random guy slowly walk away with it in the middle of a battleground, great idea.
    [/spoilers]

But a great movie nonetheless.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Just got back a few minutes ago. Damn, was it cool. The g/f was all depressed (score!) hehe. I thought it was a great movie, though.

**SPOILER**
    Come on, BRITAIN survives? pffft! smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Watched it a couple hours ago. I was somewhat shocked how realistic the whole movie was. Such great attention to detail, and the over-extended takes only reinforced that. The visuals and the atmosphere felt like HL2 to me as well. I think the only thing this movie lacked was the HL2 music. Just that eerie string pluck, bleak futuristic noise. This film was very down to earth, and almost too realistic. Through much of the action sequences I caught myself staring with mouth wide open. I couldn't believe what I was seeing or how they accomplished it. One of the best movies I've seen. Which is crazy, because at first I wasn't thrilled about seeing it, but couldn't find a nearby showing of Pan's Labyrinth.

**spoiler**

I was actually stunned by how she was shot, and how soon, and how real, and the setup. After that, you really couldn't guess what would happen next. Very suspenseful. Like when Wash was impaled in Serenity, but for the whole film.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I just watched it again tonight with my flatmates. Still awesome.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Although, now I was paying more attention to the extended takes, the one in the streets with the gunfights near the end, I think it was more than one take, cleverly pieced together - the blood splatter changes on the lens after the camera moves past a dark area, and then the blood splatter disappears completely just before Theo goes up the stairs, so... either the blood was postprocessed on, or they used opportune moments to combine different shots to appear seamless. Still beautifully done though.

And now the HL2 comparison has been made, I did notice that a lot too, especially the "first-person" kinda stuff when they were in the car and Julian gets shot, and the street battle scenes.

I still think this really has to be seen at the cinema (or if someone has an awwwwwweeesoome home theatre setup with very big screen and lovely surround sound, that works too), to be fully appreciated. The sound work alone is beautiful.

So yeah, I think this was probably my favourite movie of 2006. Pan's Labyrinth comes pretty close though.
  • sevenfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sevenfingers polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it based on this thread, and fuck yeah...
    FUCK YEAH.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    @Mop: I also noticed the blood splatter fade away in what appeared to be a continuous shot. But it's impossible for all the action that played out during that length of time to be only one take. I didn't notice any transition. Some clever camera work in this film.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    holyshitfuck, that was good, very good. The last 25 minutes were some of the most immersive, intense cinema I've ever seen. The whole thing was extremely gritty and believable. Best film I've seen all year. Well OK, it's the ONLY movie I've seen this year, but I'll be impressed If anything tops it smile.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I saw it last night as well, and damn that was amazing. The entire ending is just incredible. Having read this thread before I went in, I knew to look for shot transitions in that war sequence, but I still didn't see any. Utterly fantastic camera work, and comparisons to Half-Life 2 are so spot on.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw it yesterday, and i wasn't dissapointed. Nice camera-work, great photography, solid acting. And the bit where they walk out past the soldiers with the baby is awesome.

I was surprised to see Philip K. Dick or Orson Welles didn't have writing credits for this, haha.
    edit: actually i meant George Orwell. Fuck these sci-fi guys and their similar names. Orwell, Wells, Welles?
    pffsh.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Still need to see this but it was always sold out and now I'm broke.

:/
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Man was this a sweet movie. I agree with MightyPea on all that stuff, especially the camera work. The walk out was a really deep moment and definitely set an reality smack to the face awkwardness for a few minutes in the theaters.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    great to hear everyone sayiing favorite movie of the year, when we are only 11 days into the year smile.gif

saw it last nite,, great movie,, i'll know in a week or so if it makes my favorite list, sometimes i have to wait till the first impresions wear off before i know if i really liked the movie, or just liked the movie experience.. if that makes any sense

i liked they had the bad guy from serenity in this, i liked his acting, and want to see him in more stuff.

really my only complaint about the movie was the over use of songs in the soundtrack, i don't realy like "songs" in movies
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    Rhino, i think some people are saying that cause it came out last year in a bunch a different countries, i know mop was saying his favorite film of 2006, so i think some people mean last year.
    still haven't seen it yet, i don't see how it could be better than pan's labyrinth, but i will mos def check this junk out.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    take your reason elsewhere Dr. Calender!
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    yeah after waatching that war sequence I noticed "wow is there gonna be any cuts anytime soon" but then realized that the bus sequence probably would have been a perfect place to cleverly place one, right when walking into the door.

anyone else laugh out loud when Eureka started beating the shit out of that dude who was gonna sell them out?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I had to think a good long while about who you meant by "Eureka", there, Bruticus... I think you meant Marishka, but yeah that scene did have me laughing a bit, she really went to town!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bruticus: i thought the same thing. I started really noticing how long it went on without cuts when the blood splashed onto the camera; I remember thinking 'if that'd splashed on wrong, i could see this being a pretty tedious scene to do'.
    I should probably see it again, because i don't really remember much of anything of the music in there. Unless you mean when it was actually played on a stereo, like in the old mans house?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    rhinokey, i loved the music stuff, really helped ground the movie in reality - it was nearly always coming from somewhere in the environment, so it made sense to me. also they picked some songs I really like smile.gif
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    saw this movie last night, dragged some friends out with me to see it after telling them "all the cool nerds on the internet are saying its the best movie of the year", none of my friends had heard of it, and I hadn't seen a preview for it anywhere.
    This movie definitely was awesome, enjoyed it the whole way through, excellently done.
    SPOILERS
    What I didn't get was, towards the end, when everybody stops shooting to let them through with the baby, why didn't the army soldiers capture them and take them in? I'd imagine they would bring them to their leaders or something...
    The ending was good, but I wish we could have seen where the boat took the mother and baby, project human, maybe like an all white facility like the clone lab in Star Wars 2.

The action sequence was awesome, made me feel like I was watching Saving Private Ryan. I really felt bad for his feet though, that shit must have hurt bad!

overall i would say it was pretty depressing, but a great movie though
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not since die hard has there been a movie that hated feet so much, well there probably has.. but this one hated feet a lot.

steady, that scene was a bit romanticized to show the baby bringing everyone together in a brief momment of hope, then its all forgotten. they were to struck dumb,
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    On of the best movies I've ever seen. It was a believable future with a great, GREAT story. The environments were bloody awesome. From the city in the beginning, to the Fish's hideout, to the Hippies house in the woods, to the battle in the Fugee's camp, to the tunnel area with the boat.

The baby scene made sense to me - they all saw a new born baby and called for a cease-fire as to not hurt it. Once the baby made it through the fight started again. And some soldiers were noticably effected by it (praying, etc.)

My favourite scene was the long take near the end. It was so fun and easy to watch, I wish it had gone on for a longer time. Right after that, when Theo is talking to the black guy perched against the wall, I liked watching as the bullets barely missed his head and were hitting the wall behind him.

Anyone else notice the vag shot when the baby was born? I was really surprised that they showed that.

The way Sid died was really out of the blue to me, and I liked that a lot. Everything about the action in this movie seemed really well paced and really believable.

2 small things that stuck out, and were the only sore spots for me. The part where they were blowing the white ball from each others mouth - the ball was noticeably CG, especially the last frame of it before Moore was killed.

CG babies for the win! (Thanks Daz, d'oh!)

Anyway, great movie. I want to watch it again and I agree with MoP 100% that this movie needs to be watched in the cinema.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    *spoiler*

Haha someones pulling your leg Adam, I'm pretty certain Clive Owen didn't train to be a midwife and deliver an actual baby on set.

It was originally an animatronic baby, that apparently wasn't convincing enough, so subsequently was replaced by a cg baby. It certainly wasn't a 'real birth scene'.

http://www.fxguide.com/article390.html
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it yesterday.

Great movie. I agree with Adam, the whole thing felt very real and believable. They introduced an absolutely tremendous amount of backstory for such a short film, but did so through imagery rather than dialogue. Little touches like the old newspaper clippings and political cartoons added much to the story's plausibility. It seems a world not far removed from our own. Acting was solid as well.

It was a real childbirth?!

EDIT - Thanks Daz
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I also wanted to talk about how Theo never used a gun in that movie. For a science fiction movie with a lot of action is was both refreshing and concerning to see this. Too often does the main character blow people away and save the day.

Also, the use of animals was awesome. Apparently the director uses them often to show humanity in man, but it helped show that Theo is a kind trusting person IMO. Almost all of the shots with him had an animal in it (Caines house, the Fishes house, the forest, the hide out with the Gypsy). As well - theres an over use of animals, IMO, because theres no more children anymore so more people look to pets for that type of companionship.

And my fuck did that school scene scare me. It wasn't until I was reading the SA boards did it get pointed out to me - there wasn't anything bad that had happened to that school in particular, they just don't need schools anymore so its been abandoned for some time. I had thought that area was hit with war or something. Jesus what a revelation.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I saw it the other night, and I was actually on the edge of my seat while watching some parts. Which is sort of surprising.

There were a lot of a little enjoyable details that just made it seem more futuristic, but without it being really super sci-fi futuristic.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw this in the theatres, fucking FANTASTIC film. I had to go find a torrent so i could rewatch some of the scenes, sooooo good. Definately going to have to buy the dvd when the us version is out.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Greeeeeat movie, one of the best I've seen in awhile. In many regards reminded me of 28 Days Later with the whole "showing life in a world of chaos" and the camera work. Loved it.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I saw it with ebagg last night, and i have to say this movie better win some fucking awards.

To me this movie really shines because of how spot on it is to how humanity would react to something like that. The baby scene where all the troops stopped almost killed the movie for me. It almost broke the believability of the world, i couldn't see anyway out of it, i figured that they were fucked because the troops would take them in. Then the tank gets hit and everyone pops back into fighting mode and forgets about the baby. That was the most naturally human thing to do to return to fighting even after seeing something like that.
    Also i loved the use of dogs in the movie as well. They worked very well to unify the film.