Home Technical Talk

what problems when creating 3d assets for games

hi everyone

just wanted to see what you think are the biggest problems when making 3d game assets? not just for next gen but any platform ( DS, PS1, XBOX, WII.......)

thanks, any response appriciated

Replies

• killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    time constraints
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    its more of a matter of creating a smart workflow. when i first attempted next gen stuff it was taking me about 2 and half weeks to do a character, now i can pop one out in about 5 or 6 working days. so it takes me roughly one third of the time that it use to. you just learn the ins and outs of the process, pick up time saving tricks here and there, and after awhile its not a problem. i would say the biggest problem is adjusting from the way characters have been made for so long to how they are made now. i think a lot of the new guys coming in have a small advantage at this because they are not coming to the table with any preconceived notions of how things should be done.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    know when enough is enough.
  • Eric Chadwick
    In addition to what's been said (good all around), I find it's challenging to know the limits of the tech at hand, so we can exploit it as much as possible. Kind of what Rhinokey is getting at. I need good rapport with the programmers, and/or a talented technical artist who can translate their gobbledygook into art-speak & make custom tools to help out.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I guess Rhino said it, but bang for buck. Recognising when to stop is very important. Don't do it just because you can. There is little point going to pore level detail on a face for instance, or leather on boots, If you know your final in game normal map resolution is 1024x1024 for an entire character.