Home General Discussion

Its windy as all hell up here!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
Not sure if any of you guys are hearing about the storm the northwest is getting or not, but were likely to have 100mph winds. Lots of flooding, and power outages, its crazy.

A news story about the last time one of these hit.
http://headlines.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&article=0

Replies

• Todd Dinosaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todd Dinosaur polycounter lvl 18
    Seattle needs some bad weather, it will toughen you up a little.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    oh hell yah. And I get to drive up through the highway 2 mountain pass tonight. Who doesn't love a good game of "recklessly swerve around the wash-outs and mudslides until you either die or reach your destination"? Terrorists, that's who.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    TODD -wtf ? That coming from someone who lives in San Jose ..the old people die there if the weather gets below 30 degrees or above 90 ..lol

Yeah thegodzero I live not to far from Seattle a bit north and it's blowing like a bangkok whore at happy hour here im thinking the power is going to go any minute !
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The power here at work has gone out every hour for the past few hours. And i only came to work with my jacket, with its no rain protection... Fun walk home...
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    haha my power hasn't gone out, and its normally one of the first since i live on such a huge hill, its a trooper!... Though now i have to drive to work frown.gif.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Ach, yer all a bunch of puffs. It's -20 here and I have to sleep in a hole in the road.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ach, yer all a bunch of puffs. It's -20 here and I have to sleep in a hole in the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

and still wearing shorts and sandals!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    agh ! i feel sorry for you mate, thou sleeping with wind outside is pretty nice harr !
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    TGZ - Yeah, it's been sucking... power constantly going out when I'm at the end of a very tight deadline.

Ferg - Hope you make it ok... and have FUN!
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    I just got my power back about an hour ago! About damn time. Wood logs and duroflame logs were quickly bought out, so Friday night was an adventure... cooking hotdogs from the burning cut-up cardboard boxes in the fireplace. Last night was a little better. I was able to get my hands on a crate of duroflame logs smile.gif Roasted some marshmellows and was even able to cook potatoes and some canned food from the flames.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todd, just so you know your comment came off as being a prick just so you know.

We just got back power today, couldn't get any fire wood so had to live with it being 35 degrees inside for the past 3 days. Had my first hot meal in 3 days also today, felt great after chips and dip for all my meals. Not having power or any way to get warm when it gets down in the 20's sucks.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, what this place needs is the infrasctructure to deal with stuff like this.
    Also need trees with thicker trunks. The pine trees here seem to fall down easily even with 40 MPH winds. OK, at least in Everett they do.
  • Sidwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sidwell polycounter lvl 18
    That's weird that you guys in Seattle were without power for days while out here in the sticks we only lost power for 7 hours... of course, the winds only hit about 85mph here.
    I consider it a fair trade for the snow that kept me in the house for a solid week (as opposed to all the other times I stayed in the house for a solid week because I didn't have anything better to do.)
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I talked to my friend in Renton today and he said things were pretty miserable. Good to hear things are getting a little back to normal.
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with rick, you are indeed weaklings! when I was a kid we lived in a rolled up newspaper on the highway and my father used to wake us up at 9 in the evening, two hours before we went to bed; we had to eat a handfull of cold gravel and then he would cut us in half with a rusty bread knife!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My current project is almost done, all I really have to do is render about 1,800 frames of animation and I'm done. Provided no bugs are found causing rerenders. Its hard to set up any kind of long term renders when I have to sit on my machine waiting for the power to go out so I can restart it and setup the renders again. I left work on Friday knowing the job I set it to do should be done when I walk into work today but something tells me I'll find only a few frames done. I'll take a nice cold snap any day over mother F'in twitchy power.

For the most part things are back on track. But they keep having to interrupt power to fix certain areas, which is almost more annoying than having it just go black for a few days.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    I'm over in West Seattle, 10 minutes from downtown and still no power Monday morning.

Ran out of firewood yesterday, not that it really helped, our house was still 49 degrees with the fire blazing. Cold weather sleeping bags finally came in handy smile.gif
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    In Ballard, we never even lost power.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    My family and I were without power for a week after this huge ice storm hit Rochester, NY when i was a teenager. I know its like for you guys in Seattle.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We had an ice storm back in 98 in Spokane where we didn't get power back for a week, but there we had a good fire place and lots of wood. This was worse as we were completely unprepared. Just glad to be able to take a hot shower now. Still lots of people with out power here.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    Friday night, I'm at home for the time being. My parents decide that they're going to put one of those fake-logs into our woodburning stove that hasn't been used for a good 7 years. We sit and watch it for about an hour and a half. Our house is quite open, without many internal doors, so we decide to put a sheet over one that goes into our two story entry way (to cut down on heat going up and not being used to warm us). We begin to not breathe well, so we crack a window and take down the sheet.

Being bright citizens of America, we decided "Hey! nows a good time to see the new Bond!" since the closest mall was bright with electricity and we were quite cold. So we close up our home, but are not sure what to do about the log. It said on the package that it would only burn for two hours, about this time it had been two hours. so we closed it down a little, but kept a crack in the fireplace as to keep a slight updraft, and let it burn out.

Bond was fun smile.gif.

We get back, get out of our car, and look up towards the stars. They shone like i've never seen at our house! It was still difficult to see because of the massive amounts of smoke in the air from all of our neighbors burning wood in their fireplaces, but we could still see most things very clearly. My dad was pointing out constellations to me, when I thought I heard his UPC on his computer beeping because it ran out of batteries... We get closer to the door, and the beeping is too loud to be that. Oh shit- the fire alarm.

We open the door, the house is completely filled with smoke, we run in (like idiots) and open every window possible, to try to de-smoke our house. No power means no fans. nearly impossible to breathe without coughing, we sat outside for a good 30 minutes before I used the last of my cell phone's battery to call my girlfriend, and we ended up staying the night at her parents' place.

The next day we checked back on the house; it was 38 degrees inside, and still pretty hard to breathe. fuck. We gather every thing that has that aweful stench upon it and take it to the nearest open cleaners (somewhere in lynnwood). Ugh.

Its now monday, I'm writing this from the warmth of my brother's apartment in Kirkland, since they've had power since saturday night. Word has it that power just came on near my house, but we're just going to check on it, make sure no electronics need to be turned off before the power gets on, and then we're going to figure out what to do next tomorrow. I'm both glad, and depressed that my dog died only months before this, he was old, and I don't think he'd be able to handle it, and killing him by accident because of smoke inhalation would have been devistating.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    My parents live on Rose Hill in kirkland, and have not had power since 12am friday. I got Friday off work because there was no power at the office (also in kirkland). Tons of trees are still resting on powerlines.

The crazy thing was, in Seattle, I live on Magnolia's hillside, and the apartments directory behind mine and all the way up the hill, the power was out, and the houses directly in front of my building and almost all the way down the hill were out, until saturday night. Yet all the buildings including mine in a row right to left on the hill had power.

Thursday night was crazy times! The wind was howling all night!