Home General Discussion

The Room - a Lionhead project

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=27393

Looks really interesting. The portal technology aside, it looks pretty darn fun to play around in. The digital clay aspect really has me thinking. As well, I'm curious as to just how much detail each room received and to what level.

Its unfortunate that it'll never go in to a game, but at lease he said they may release it as a demo.

Thoughts?

Replies

• fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    It's a shame this won't be fully realized as a sandbox game. I can see some pretty surreal Escher style rooms being built with this.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    interesting.

kinda like roommania#303 and Garrys mod mixed up with a bit of Nightmare ambiance thrown in.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    yeah, they showed that at gdc 05, i was quite impressed with it. the graphics were cool but more importantly it allowed for some interesting plays on perspective and reality. quite cool.

edit: go to the last video and the room is showed at the end, its a better quality video than whats shown at the game trailers website.
    i like to watch all of the gdc stuff i can get my hands on, its a shame they try to sell the newest gdc06 stuff for such a high price.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Well it's an interesting tech demo but not really all that impresive as I did not see anything that has not already been done by another company. The Physics,Textures,Shaders and Real Time interaction look no better then the Unreal Engine 3.0 tech demos. The portal idea has already been done by Portals and well ok so I can throw an orange in one room and it comes out bigger in another ? Uhhh..ok ?
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    i believe it was made before the idea of the the portal game, hell that might even be where valve got the idea for portal. however please wathc the entire video, it not only messes with your perception but you can vary time too, you have digital clay, size differenciation and other cool little features.
    the room is ment more as a sandbox type environment to play with rather than a game.

"look no better then the Unreal Engine 3.0 tech demos" its not always about graphics...
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *cough* Portal wasn't actually from Valve originally *cough*

It was a mod.

And the Portal idea was done in one of the Quake games, was it not? As a mod I mean.

Plus, this is from Molyneux. I'll believe it when it's actually done and on shelves. I've been burned one too many times on his last several games that he hyped with false promises.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Q3A had portals out of the box. So yeah nothing very new.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Plus, this is from Molyneux. I'll believe it when it's actually done and on shelves. I've been burned one too many times on his last several games that he hyped with false promises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you play Black & White 2 ? I was thinking about getting it but was disappointed by the first game . Is it any good ?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    that looks cool, but more like an exercise in design for other projects. He did say it would never be released smile.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I like tech demos. Not sure they need to be full games though.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, if that were released for like $10 I'd probably buy it. It just looks like something fun a simple to do when you're bored.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

It was a mod.

And the Portal idea was done in one of the Quake games, was it not? As a mod I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

portal wasnt even a mod. It was the senior project from a graduating class from Digipen. I only know that because they were the class ahead of me.
  • thefatladysings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thefatladysings polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

It was a mod.

[/ QUOTE ]

portal wasnt even a mod. It was the senior project from a graduating class from Digipen. I only know that because they were the class ahead of me.

[/ QUOTE ]yep, you can download it here:
    http://www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com/

funny game tongue.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The digital aging mechanism he mentioned sounds like it might make for some interesting games. Something with time travel for example.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Throw the wee portal through the big one!

The universe a splode!

Some interesting stuff, I really liked when he shook the bookshelf. And let's not forget the well endowed (temporarily) darwinian.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    when I had my interview at Lionhead some years ago the guy who walks past Peter at the start was the lead animator on "the movies". Stange dude.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i'd just like to say that in the beginning of that video, Molyneux himself looks like he's in an Unreal 3 tech demo, what with the warm main light and blue side/rimlighting laugh.gif
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i'd just like to say that in the beginning of that video, Molyneux himself looks like he's in an Unreal 3 tech demo, what with the warm main light and blue side/rimlighting laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought the same when the vid preloaded...