Home General Discussion

Lord of the Rings - DVD .vs. HD

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
Awesome comparison shots of the DVD and HD (1920x1080) sources. The main page has DVD resolution shots, with the mouse-over being the HD image. Clicking on the image will give you fullscreen DVD shots. Click on the fullscreen shot to show the HD overlay

http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html

Not only is the resolution, detail and crispness better, but the color depth is far more intense.

Replies

• sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Hot damn. I thought my upconverted DVDs would suffice, but that looks slick. I'm thinking about getting the 360 HD-DVD player now.

Rather than use capture cards, I think it'd be interesting to see how they differ on an actual TV with an HD-DVD player and and upconverting DVD player.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -____-

*sigh*

didn't think I was going to want to shell out for one until later...
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The crowd scene benefits the least from the higher resolution. The map, on the other hand...that just pops right off the screen at 1080p. So does the Rivendell landscape shot. All of the scenes with fine details benefit greatly from the bump in resolution. I noticed that hair details are particularly sharp. (Gandalf's mustache, Eragorn's goatee, Gimlee's impressive beard, etc.)

Regrettably, I don't even have a high-def screen yet, and don't even have the option of viewing next-gen discs in all their glory. And as my current screen is both functioning and 480p enabled (with quite pleasing results) I'm going to be waiting until it craps out on me before takeing the hi-def plunge.

Realistically, high-def screen technology is still in its infancy. And the industry still hasn't found a large-scale screen solution that is comparable to CRT's in longevity, stability, flexibility, and overall picture quality. I would like to see them get their stuff together on those fronts before dropping several thousand on a 50+ inch screen.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    On shot 3 you can make people clap their hands.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm thinking about getting the 360 HD-DVD player now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. I had pretty much blown off the entire next-gen DVD fight for now, but considering the Xbox drive is just $200... I think it will be worth it, especially if I can recoup a little cash from trading in older DVDs (my LotR CEs, for example).
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    For those considering, check out buy.com
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203249984&loc=108&sp=1
    They have it $20 off right now. I was just looking at it there because someone on Digg said they couldn't find them in stores. I've bought most of my Christmas gifts from their site this year.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "I used Photoshop to bicubically resample the DVD source images from 852x480 to match the 1920x1080 of the HD images."

Not sure what I feel about that as part of the comparison process, but clearly the difference is impressive. I'm in the fortunate position of not owning many DVD's and with the recent 40" LCD Sony I bought, I'm now super tempted to pick up a player. The only caveat with the 360 one Im told is that the 360 is loud, and it needs to be on for the DVD unit to work. Hard to say how irksome that would be to me, since I dont actually own a 360 yet.

Im still troubled by a BestBuy worker insisting to me that Blue Ray was vastly superior to HD DVD, and that HD wasn't true 1080p at all (and in fact supposedly no better than upconversion). He would have staked his life on it Im sure, which makes me wonder what hidden agenda is going on behind the scenes. Id be curious to get some friends to go into other BB stores and ask the same question about differences between the two formats.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HDDVD is the same exact quality as BluRay. BluRay just holds more. In fact, unless BluRay adopts H.264 as it's compression codec, HDDVD looks better.

Daz, when the 360 is on it purrs like a kitten. No noise at all. The problem is the main DVD tray. If you play a game in the 360, it gets a little loud. But the HDDVD drive is a separate element, and it doesn't require the main drive to operate. So when you watch HDDVD, you hear nothing but the movie smile.gif

And yeah, the "up" sampling was the guy's only option of course. But as a show of HD's detail, even the down-sized HD images had more detail and clarity than the DVD counter part.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The 360 does not purr like a kitten, it's bloody noisy! If you're watching a movie with quiet sections, prepare to be annoyed.

Sorry, that was a little off topic... those HD images look way better than the DVD version though, nice! smile.gif
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Now I just need 10000$ for a really good 1080p projector to warrant a 300$ purchase. Or 3000$ for a separate picture processor/upscaler.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP - I was talking about when the 360 doesn't have a CD in it. If the drive isn't operating, the 360 is super quiet.

And even when I do play a game, I have the volume high enough to where I don't really hear it :P
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    Now I just need 10000$ for a really good 1080p projector to warrant a 300$ purchase. Or 3000$ for a separate picture processor/upscaler.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i believe the sony ruby is 1080p native and cost about half of that. however hd-dvd will look better even on a 720p native projector.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not just spend $1/2K on a real good 1080p DLP/SXRD set?..
    My 50" KDS-50A2000 was $2200 and it's great.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    once you go the projector route its hard to ever go back to a rear projection set. to me a 50 inch tv looks small. a 100 inch screen from a projector si 4 times larger than your tv.
    plus for $2200 you can get a really good 720p projector.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've got a huge ass projector, and a 40-50 inch bravia at work, needless to say the bravia is what we play 360 on. Projectors look like shit compared to any decent monitor/tv, who cares if its larger when it looks worse?
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes but is the projector a home theater one or a business class one? dlp or lcd? is it correctly calibrated? how old is it? what is its contrast ratio? any ambient loght in the viewing area? what type of screen?...etc
    any good properly calibrated home theater projector that is setup right i've seen beats or matches most rear projection tv's. and in most cases the very fact that its rear projection means you're sacrificing some quality (because of the way rear projection units work).
    but i guess its up the the users opinion.

edit: i justdid a search and if it is just a straightup lcd tv then a good lcd or dlp can easily beat it. lcd's image quality and contrast tend to get worse and worse the larger you make the lcd panel. don't get me wrong, my grandpa recently got a damn good 37 inch lcd tv, but when he brought it over to me to calibrate (using dve and dmw) i was able to make a side-by-side comparison, and it was obvious my projector was pumping out a slightly better image, except for the contrast, my projector has a weak contrast ratio.