Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Request: Critique my UVW work

Hello all,

I'm new to this and right now I'm in the uvw stage. It's really taking longer than I thought. I am not sure if I am doing everything correctly and would like people's advice and critique. Images provided.
uvw.jpg
head2.jpg
head-1.jpg

Also, I would like to know if my uvw map is okay so far. I am particularly having trouble on the head. There are a bit of stretch marks around the lower jaw area and on the side and top of the head. Do I need to totally eliminate them or these minor stretch marks will be unnoticeable?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Replies

• Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    I'm just posting while I'm waiting for my laundry on a bunch of different things so sorry if this isn't the most helpful right now. confused.gif

From what I can see here you have a LOT of unused uv space. You can scale all those unwraps really and try to take up as much room as possible in that uv space.

Also you can overlap a lot of uv maps. like arms, legs, or hands depending on if they are unique or not. same for the face you could overlap half onto the other though I wouldn't recommend it since you probabbly want to get a good uneaven face going.

For torsos, I would suggest unwrapping it with a cylindrical unwrap and then sitting there for ever tweaking the uvs. You'll be happy you did because if you say box map the torso or something then you will have seems all over the torso.

Unwrapping is not fun and it takes for ever until you get the hang of it. A lot of streatching problems that occur are just uvs that need to be moved around a little util they look right. So I hope some of this helped and just take soem time to sit there and move stuff around until it looks right and weld any seems you can together to get rid of as many seems as you can.

Hope this helped some how... : /
  • Lightray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Xeto,

I tried using the other mapping features like Cylindrical unwrap but all the option I had available was Planar unwrap or something like that. So all this time my process has been selecting the areas or planes manually and then clicking palanar unwrap.

Would you or anyone by chance know how I can have access to the rest of the unwrap option?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    uvwcopylg4.jpg

What you want to do if not mentioned already it use all your unwrap space to the best of your restraints, such as 512 or 1024. Secondly you have to space out everything to just the right amount or enough to put just the right amount of texturing/paint on it.

I've just learned you have to space important parts out one that will be more predominantly noticeable and attractive such as the face because it's usually the first thing anyone looks at.

So I hope these little tid bits helped and the image describes how to compact everything nicely. Also it's like a puzzle which you might find annoying but usually enjoyable depends who you are I guess. Like today I could have gotten angry and given up on the UV's for a model I completed but I thought why bother just do it right and get it over with. I have to puzzle piece it together like 4 to 5 times before it actually worked out in my favor. So it's basically trial and error for the piecing together parts.

BTW, here's a better checker map pattern I just love, I forget who made it but damn good job to the creator smile.gif.

rycheckertestag2.jpg
    I think it's much better than the default checkered pattern.

EDIT:
    About the cylindrycal mapping should be selectable along with a list of others, your in edit mesh or edit poly? Try using it under one of these. Or snap a pic of it if it's grey'd out. I never heard of that before.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    If you have any trouble finding a feature, search the 2d/3d for UV Help, a nice little add-on for max, but you may not need it, depends.

A great tool to reduce stretching is Relax. It may take some getting used to before it works perfectly for you, but it's one of the best along with stitching.

Speaking of stitching Uvs, try to reduce all the seams you can without stretching the Uvs to much (stretching is what you want to get rid of). For example, it looks like the front and back of the arm in the upper left. I would stitch those UVs leaving a single seam along the inside of the arm (the least visible part). It appears that the front, side and back of the chest are all split up too. These could easily be attached and seamless.

For reducing wasted space (any area that's not the character texture), try to pull all the pieces as closely together (without overlapping) as possible. It also worth it to give a little padding (a few pixels between different pieces so they don't blend together when filtered and/or mipped). I think of this process a lot like Tetris or a jigsaw puzzle.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    First, download this, as Cholden mentioned. www.microcan.nl
    It's UVhelp, a working relax function for max, that will even out your texel density on your UV chunks.

Second, watch the UV tutorial on my website, either for Funge, or Delilah. www.poopinmymouth.com To see how I handle UVs. The Green guy (funge) goes more into the body layout, but substitute UVhelp and unfold 3d magic for the program I use in the video (deep uv). Delilah UV video goes more into hard surface UVs, but still shows how I go about relaxing and arranging them.

You'll find after you do the texture for this, what areas you like and dislike in terms of UVs, and keep that in mind for your next face. It's all a constant learning process.

poop.gif
  • Lightray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto or Cholden:
    Back to you on using other tools available in "Unwrap UVW", all I have is "Select Face" in the subcategory. I've seen others have more options like Cylindrical, Box, etc. in the list. I have no idea how to have those other unwrap features accessible so I don't have to select a group of planes individually just to map. Here is a screen shot:
    screen.jpg
  • Lightray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poop,

3dsMax has a relax feature. Is that the same as the ones you use in your tutorial? I don't know how to use DeepUV or Max's built in Relax feature. I'm not sure but it appears DeepUV is now a standalone program and I don't know how to work set it up and it inside Max like you have in the tutorial. I am going to try UVHelp now and see which ones I like.

Thanks so much for your tutorials they've been very helpful to me. I watched your Funge tutorials.
  • Lightray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I had the opportunity to try UVHelp. It's Amazing!!!

Just one problem: Using it to tidy up mirroring areas that I have already overlapped, it seems to tidey them up differently. What do I do from here when UVhelp has placed them differently?

Attached is an image of the problem:

legs.jpg
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I'd unwrap one side, see how it handles the distortions, if it's fine then mirror the mesh to the other side.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Based on your print screen, you may be overlooking a couple things:

Unwrap UVW is the main modifier for editing Uvs, but before you get to that, UVW Map is another modifier that gives you more options to get started with (planar, cylindrical, box, face, etc). Not sure if you're skipping that or not, but if so, it can be the place to start your Uvs. Where you're at now, this step doesn't really matter. Just soemthing to remember next time.

Secondly, see how your Unwrap modifier has those little dots to the right of it? That means you're still in Vertex mode in Editable Poly. You don't want that. Vert, edge, border, polygon or element, being in any of these modes can negatively affect your work, often causing you to lose it. Be sure to click out of any modes (so there's no little symbol to the right of Editable Poly) before applying a UV modifier or any for that matter. Unless you're specifically working on an area, then be sure to collapse your stack.

It can also be helpful to Reset Xforms (under Utilities) before UV mapping because features can be altered by leftover scaling, rotating, etc. adjustments.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Lightray: UVHelp will un-flip any mirrored sections - if you take a closer look at the segments you ran UVHelp on, you'll notice one is flipped vertically. Flip this back and it should match up with the other section nearly exactly.
    Usually if you're unwrapping a mirrored mesh though, it's faster to do what Psyk0 said, just unwrap one side, then mirror the mesh, provided the geometry is identical on both sides.
  • Lightray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mop: even after I mirror them...they are not 100% identical. The overlapping images are slightly off from each other. Is this okay? Do I go on and tweak them to be identical or I just leave them the way they are?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    well, if you want them to match perfectly, then yes you'll have to tweak them - fastest way would be to turn on Vertex Snap in the UVW edit window (check Max's help files if you're not sure how to do this). Then you can quickly line up the verts on top of each other.
    Or you could just delete one half of the model, and mirror the mesh in that area, to make it perfectly identical, this would probably be the fastest method.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    http://www.chuggnut.com/scripts/unwraptools/unwraptools.htm

those tools are like a message from above. The alignment options / buttons are probably get the most use from me, but as a whole it has some very handy features that may help you out. When overlapping areas there is a UV align option that works wonders on individual verts. Just be sure to not get your stretching right first, as it will generally move the verts.

One thing that i do when uv'ing is to focus on general mappings for each piece, with very little regard to actual layout. Once the pieces are broken up (as you have now), i go in and meticulously labor over each chunk, making each have the most minimal distortion. I use 6 types of UV Test textures:

text
    - i use this to test consistency, stretching, and accidentally mirrored areas
    - when you can read the article on your model, its good.
    - also lets you focus on details. is the "a" in that sentence larger than the g and e? fix!
    uv_Text.jpg

hand-made checker
    - cleaner than default checker. Also works well scaled, and aliased. supa-clean!
    uv_check.jpg

pior's awesome circlecheck
    - it is a thing of pure beauty wink.gif
    uv_circlecheck3.jpg

noisy checker w/ guide
    - when scaled down you can test the consistnecy of detail and flow of UV's to the surface with the red and blue guides.
    uv_noiseCGuides.jpg

randomness
    - no real purpose other than being randomness. Helps simulate a real texture at times. i use this one the least smile.gif
    uv_random.jpg

When uv'ing i continually swap these 6 out while working, and when testing and or finalizing an area.

Another thing to think of, or try would be to uv in smaller chunks and stitch things together later. For me, it is sometimes easier to get a smaller section perfect then merge things together and make minor adjustments. I try not to rely on relax scripts or deepUV (since i dont have it frown.gif ), so going at a steady pace helps.

When you go to lay out your map, be sure to maximize texture space per uv'ed section, and minimize the space that does not have a polygon on it. If you have to rotate pieces you can. I suggest keeping things at 90 degree angles when possible for ease of your texturing later!

hope this helps some, and i didnt ramble you to death.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure how you unwrapped your pieces or if you had trouble getting things to unwrap, but make sure to look up "Pelt Mapping". Autodesk has a great video tutorial about it, which I summarized for some of the artists I work with. unfortunately it didn't translate too well to HTML and I'm not in a hurry to code it from the ground up until I update my site and crunch is over. It might be of some use to you? You can find it here.

Advice:
    - You have a lot of wasted space. Every pixel of wasted space earns you 1 year in artist hell. You can't get away from wasted space and you can only minimize it. Yes you will see me in artist hell but hopefully we'll both get out before some of the other schomes that don't understand how to minimize wasted space. Remember every pixel of a texture is loaded into memory but if you only use 25% of those pixels your killing your product.

- If you are using pixel snap and find its not working, apply any image file to your model. The max checker pattern is generated procedurally and contains ZERO pixels to snap to and makes pixel snap worthless. This is another reason to use one of the provided UV help textures people have listed.

- Don't be afraid to cause stretching if it will mean you can paint a straight lines where it counts instead of a horrible jagged line on a perfect non stretching UV piece. If you don't notice the stretching and the line is crisp who is it hurting?

If none of this makes sense come visit this post a few models from now. Looking good, I think you're on the right track =)
  • Lightray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your help and patience so far.
    I've finally finished uvmapping. It was brutal! Now my question is about the smoothing groups. I have smoothing groups applied all over my model. Notice the face and especially the eyebrow bridge area has detail because of the different smooth groups I applied on it. Should I remove this? Will it get in the way with my texturing because it appears to be so obvious as it is?

Please continue to crit and advice,

My uv map placement:
    uvmap.jpg

Smoothing Group on face: texturego.jpg
  • Lightray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another shot using number texture. Numbers are clear and sharp all over I guess I am good to go. Thanks Sinz for this texture one of my fav so far.

texture2.jpg
  • Lightray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just noticed that since I am using symmetry there is a clear cut going down the center of the model? How do I remove without affecting my Unwrap UVW modifier? For when I collapse any of my stack or move them in different order I lose it.

My modifier stack so far is:
    Symmetry
    Unwrap UVW
    Editable Poly
  • Lightray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    problem solved...nevermind
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I usually remove the middle seam once I have finished deciding what's stays mirrored and what not. if the part wher the seam down the middle is not supposed to be mirrored make sure you un mirror that section of the uvs. essentially you have to flip tem back into place and weld them together in the unwrap window. Then go to editable poly go under edges select one of the edges hit loop and ctrl backspace if your are using max 8 or later and that removes the seam down the middle provided those verts are welded together. If you get rid of that seam befor you flip the mirrored uvs you loose that section. Try it it's a learning experience. Poops tutorial show how to get rid of the seam if you are having trouble with it.

Alex
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Another thing to consider is the keep everything facing forward, I made a very little video tut here showing what I mean. Hope this is helpful to some or many if they didn't already know this procedure.

http://www.zshare.net/video/tut-wmv.html

your welcome btw, though the creator gets all the credit for the numbered checkered pattern! smile.gif

As a side note that pattern is also handy if those areas that are not mirrored and are facing the wrong way can be fixed easily by clicking one of the mirror icons in the editor.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    coolness man smile.gif

after jamming everything together you should take a look at the layout before texturing and ask yourself some questions. Do you really want the face to be up-sidedown? Is the arm at that angle going to be a pain in the ass? where did the neck go? etc...

i used to go through one or two iterations before finalizing something, and find myself doing that still occasionally.
  • Lightray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Moose,

Would it work to turn the uv map page in the angle that I need it when I'm colouring it and then return it to how it was when done?

Hmmm I recall reading somewhere from this site that I need to make as much lines go horizontal and vertical as much as possible to give a more crisper texture.

Can anyone upload an example of their uv map arrangmentz please?

Thanks in advance
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    While you certainly can rotate it, it's better to try laying things out in an easy to paint way. You can check out any number of peoples portfolios by following the links in their sigs or profiles. It's a good practice to arrange as many things "right side up" as you can.

poop.gif