• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Very expensive compared with zbrush. The non comercial version is also heavy expensive.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It's also much faster and easier for people to learn than ZBrush, has more sculpting/displacement/normalmap features, and doesn't have a silly "tool" and "canvas" setup.
    Admittedly, ZBrush does have way more features (actual painting, tiling texture stuff, rendering, posing etc.), but it still can't possibly win on sculpting functionality and ease of use.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    and the fact the the normal map generator is more simple than eating strawberry smile.gif
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    I didn't see a release date other than "coming very soon!". Am I missing it?

I really can't wait for this, I tried ZBrush a while ago, briefly, and hated every second of it. So I'm more than willing to spend a little more if it's actually easy to use.

I couldn't even figure out how to import my own mesh into ZBrush without looking at the help files, and I gave up shortly thereafter.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap, that was fast! It's just been released as of NOW and you can buy it from the site!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Now's the time for UK folks to buy American software for download, it's nearly $2 to a quid smile.gif
    If they'd released this a few months ago, it'd have cost about £100 more even if the USD price was identical!
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    $299 is a pretty good deal, but I'd like to see a 10 day or 30 day trial before spending money.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'd like a trial too, especially since I would need the commercial license ($649).
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Now's the time for UK folks to buy American software for download, it's nearly $2 to a quid smile.gif
    If they'd released this a few months ago, it'd have cost about £100 more even if the USD price was identical!

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but the total charged was £190. VAT is a bitch.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, this one sorta snuck up one me.

I intend on getting it. I mean, as long as I can get the student discount. Hopefully they deem a student majoring in sculpture worthy of a nice discount, haha.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'd like to know if you can upgrade a non-commercial to commercial at some point, but I can't find a 'contact us' anywhere :/
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i gues it was dave or andrew who said at cgtalk that it will be possible, however you could try support at skymatter dot com wink.gif
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    600$? VERY NICE PRICE!
    going to buy it...
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd like to know if you can upgrade a non-commercial to commercial at some point, but I can't find a 'contact us' anywhere :/

[/ QUOTE ]

nice one ...;
    ... good question. cool.gif
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Upgrading from non-commercial to full is roughly the difference between the cost of the two versions I believe.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey I got a response, they are currently considering charging $395 USD for the upgrade, which may change slightly. They are still setting up the infrastructure so I don't think its available just yet
    edit:
    bought it! w00t
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    rooster, can u tell us what's new in mudbox1.0 different from mudbox beta 3, please?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    askhat, pior pmd me about it too. Im afraid I didt get a good look into the beta before, so its difficult to say to be honest smile.gif if you have any specific questions I'll be glad to answer though.. also I got the non-commercial so I might not have the complete feature set
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I had a look at the feature list, there are only 3 features the commercial license gets that the non-commercial one doesn't.
    Non-commercial is limited to 5 layers per object and commercial is unlimited. Also the non-commercial doesn't have the 'speed review mode' or the '32-bit HDR image support' texture baking features.
    http://www.mudbox3d.com/featurechart.html

The price is higher than I expected it would be and I would definately love to see a 30 day trial or something.

-caseyjones
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not studying gamedesign or 3D graphics, but multimediatechnics.
    Can i also get the discount for students?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Yes, i would like to see a trial too, to see the new features and how works on my machine.

It would be nice to hear all the information about this v1. Works better on quadro fx cards? is faster=?
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Just wanted to chime in on this, from what I can see from the full retail version (besides some serious bugs) they have added a scale and rotate option, along with a few things casey has stated. I know that all programs have there diffuculties, but wasn't expecting this, as I have had nothing but smooth sailing in the beta versions.

Spark
    www.bbriley.com
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    hey spark...can you elaborate just a bit on how buggy it is? i've been thinkin' about seeing if santa can get me this.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Fritz, so far I have experienced a few corrupt files, and since mudbox files are so large (some up to a gig a pop) I have a tendency to not save in increments as much so I lost a good deal of work. Another thing they added was a video memory buffer which is now a keyboard shortcut on the space bar (right next to the alt button you use so much) not sure what it is intended for, as all it has done for me is explode my mesh and ruin that file, and with there little documentation, or the "we will write this section later" crap I can't find out what it is meant for along with alot of other new things within the final version. Mudbox is still a great program, they just need to work out these kinks and a few error messages that seem to pop up for no reason, and after getting it you go back down in levels and your mesh is gone:) A few other artists at Ensemble were also getting these types of problems, plus a few others..we are playing around with it to see what else we find, so I will let you know, again I would deal with these problems anyday over Zbrush's ass backward interface.

Spark
    www.bbriley.com
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    thanks man. appreciate it!!!
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    I'm curious what kind of framerate/interactivity you guys are getting with 1million+ poly meshes. On a 1mill mesh, I'm getting around 10FPS, strokes are lumpy and its just generally hard to work. It's a real pain in the arse, especially as Skymatter have a video on their site of a 14million poly mesh with a framerate better than what I get at 500k, with my specs:

P4 3.0Ghz, 3GB RAM, 256MB Geforce 7800GS. It's driving me mad.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    doesn't look like anybody's getting the sort of performance that was advertised. seems to need some pretty specific system requirements. say what we will of zb but at least it's a case of : ' you got some RAM ? right. we're good to go '

• James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Performance Tip from Mudbox Forums:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Brush size, of course, is very important. Generally, if you want to be affecting large portions of the model, you will want to be at a lower subd level. Higher resolutions are good for detailing, and so smaller brushes are more appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

This generally applies to most sculpting apps I've seen.
    You don't really want to be making broad form strokes and shaping a mesh at 1+ million polygons either. When you start getting into the higher resolutions you want to start hiding portions of your mesh so you can focus on detailing while retaining decent performance.
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    I used to get really slow performance until i changed my wacom sensitivity to something other than soft (same with CS2... humm) and closed all the other running applications. Now it's pretty smooth so long as i don't go crazy with huge brushes on million poly meshes. The crash program keyboard shortcut was a thoughtful addition smile.gif

Aside from that it's peachy!
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    I saw that in the forums, but I don't think anyone makes large form changes in the million range. It's certainly not what I mean by bad performance, rotating and general interactivity is poor - even moreso comparing my specs to that of the video where they manip a 14mill mesh.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think some do try to sculpt in that range who don't know any better. =]
    We're not all seasoned digital sculptors (yet). Many people are picking this stuff up for the first time. Just offering some general tips that work well for me and my rig (which isn't so beefy either).