Home Technical Talk

Is there a way to import ase files

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
I was wondering if there was a way to import ase files into max.

I found a way. I using the asc II importer found at http://www.maxplugins.de and that seems to work fine. I have to change the file ext from asc to ase for it to work. Is there a better way to do this?

Alex

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    I don't think so. ASE/ASC is a really old format. Just plain text though, so converting it to another text format that's more widely supported couldn't be too hard... like say OBJ.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Hey Sage, I'm browsing the max9 DVD, and I found a script that might be better, dunno.

\Samples\Scripts\Examples\ASCII.dat
    \Samples\Scripts\Examples\Example_ASCII Read.ms

--Created by: Ravi Karra [ravi.karra@ktx.com]
    --This scripts reads positional data from a ascii file and creates objects
    --You need to have the ascii.dat file in the same directory as this
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    if all else fails you could download the unreal 2.x runtime. Import the ase as a static object and export it as an OBJ.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks guys. It's not really a big deal I just wondered why Max never got a stand alone format that could hold animation and all the scene info. 3ds just blows. Sometimes it unwelds all the verts on my models and screws up the smoothing groups. I thought ase was kind of that except they never had an importer straight out of the box. The asc plugin works fine and it's actually for version 6 and works fine in 8. Just one of those plugins that just work. smile.gif The reason I was interested in ase was because it's supposed to export brushes out of GTKRadiant with only visible faces. Obj exports all the faces. The other reason I was thinking about ase was to export to older versions of Max, since .max isn't backward compatible. I should add that to your thread Per. wink.gif Thanks for the reply.

Alex
  • Eric Chadwick
    BFF is the best format for backwards-compatibility, but it is max-specific (being maxscript-based)
    http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/darkmoon/bff/