polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
A model art test take let's say a prop about:
900 polys
448 texture map
1-bump
1-spec

Take to model? I just got a test sent to me and I am really excited about doing my best but I am always worrying about timeframe and competition. With factors of someone completing it quicker and I guess nicer.

So I would just like to ask everyone how long would somthing like this usualy take? especially the pros.

Also What are usual work days like in a design point of view, IE how many concept designs get dumped on you and you are expected to have complete at the end of the day.

All critics are welcome.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    im sorry , but instead of asking this you should start working on it, the quicker you do it the better, and if you do it quick with quality thats a win win situation , ad it also depends of what prop you want, etc...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    What's a 448 texture map?

900 polys isn't much at all, I could burn through that on a lazy afternoon.

The time it would take me to complete a prop with those specs would depend on whether I was banging out a generic object for work on a deadline, or if I was making something really pretty and awesome for fun.
    Or making something pretty and awesome for work on a deadline.
    Could be anything from a few hours, to a full working day or two.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I've recently completed two art tests (the last one landing me a job). In each case they've specified a time frame they want the model complete by.
    But for something as low poly is that, I wouldn't spend more than 2 days working on it. Pump it out in a day, get some sleep. The next morning look at it again with fresh eyes and fix the bits that need fixing.
    Good luck.

-caseyjones
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Submitted already, MOP what resolution would you texture that map at? BTW, I ment diffuse.

Great job casey jones I happy for you I hope you enjoy your time at ant? correct?

Good advice exactly what I did today woke up looked at it and said needs more nextgen lmao j/k.

I hope to get a little more input on the restraints.

Also what impact would you get from a spec and bump map at that resolution?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I think MoP meant to ask what the 448 in a 448 map is? The numbers associated with texture maps are usually the size of the texture, which is typically a power of two. Meaning that it should either be 512 or 256 in size.

If they told you that your limit for the map is 448 I'm going to assume they meant that it could be a combination of maps that total sizes. (Like a 256+128+64)
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Copy paste from the .doc art test sent:
    1: 444x448 color/diffuse map,
    1: 448x448 specular mask (could also be put in the alpha channel of diffuse slot.
    1: 448x448 bump map

1: 64x64 tiling detail map

I did it exactly like that one whole diffuse 448X448, was I right to do so?

Now this tiling detail map, I never heard of I looked it up and I believe it was for a ground layout, such as a level area. What is weird is that it was described as being for environment/level creation. So could I get some more info. on this detail map which was required of me.

Kind of too late to ask the "director",since I already submitted...

I like getting feed back and assistance cant progress further without a little help.

I apprechiate it!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Tiling detail maps can be used for any asset, they used them on gears of war for detailing up low-res prop textures (mainly on stone/concrete things, but can be used to add noise to anything really, to make it seem more detailed)

You should have asked for a breakdown of maps for those sizes, since a single 448x448 texture sheet is not a valid texture size really, not for PC stuff anyway, I don't know anything about asset sizes for handheld though.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I'm with Tulkamir on this. If they asked for a single 448x448, they probably meant for you to use that space however you wanted, as in:
    1x256, 1x128 and 1x64 or 5x128's and a 64s
    That may have been part of the test to see if you knew about game texture budgeting.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    our programmers on psp stuff have given us the go-ahead for non power-of-2 textures. dont know if psp handles it fine or just because we're not making something that pushes the boundaries of processing/memory but its what they said smile.gif
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    may we see the prop? i'd just be interested to see what you pumped out for the art test.
    as far as the power of 2 textures, its a hardware limitation i believe. so if a special device (such as the psp) was designed for non-power of 2 textures a 448 map may work. although i hear using non-power of 2 textures is slower than power of 2 textures (something to do with calculation times, i am not sure though i am not a programmer).
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh crap then I am out I guess.
    I am not destined to make it lol.

That would have been really small then, 256 texture map and make it look realistic? I would have been done really quick if i knew this information... Oh well what can I do now. Thanx for the additional information if i ever get the chance again I guess I will know better.

How can bump and spec affect small maps like that? No real detail... plus my 1680x1050 screen resolution doesn't help Im going dual, hopefully one LCD and one CRT.

Is that possible?

Edited for jarrod:
    I have just e-mailed them a detailed message about the situation, I doubt I will get a response because I am sure they are very busy over at there studio. So if I don't get a response I want to respect the concept artists artwork and not distribute the material that was given to me to land a job, I am unaware of the legal rights blah blah of distributing studio material because with out the concept behind the 3D design you will be like WTF is that... lol.

Sry until the reponse is given for the okay I would like to respect others artwork as I am sure you would like to be respected thank you.

$

Edited just for roostie laugh.gif:
    Sounds like that would be wishful hoping if this is the same case on the art test I did.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    although i hear using non-power of 2 textures is slower than power of 2 textures (something to do with calculation times, i am not sure though i am not a programmer).

[/ QUOTE ]

It has to do with the way binary works. Every bit of binary is either a 0 or 1, so that means that the amount of choices goes up by powers of two. (two bits of binary has 4 possiblities, 3 has 8, 16, 32, etc...).

Atleast that's as I understand it.