Home Technical Talk

[POLL] What 3D Program do you use? (RE: PStrive)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
Just thought I would set it up, since I for one am curious. I hope I get the list right.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should allow choosing more than one, many people use multiple programs in their workflow.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    at the moment
    maya 60% (work)
    max 30%
    silo 10%
    (what about mudbox and zbrush?)
  • Turoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turoid polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    (what about mudbox and zbrush?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, where is mudbox? I use max mostly
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    i think mudbox and zbrush enter in the category of sculpting apps.
    Now, as i said in the other thread, Modo for all except of rigging (Max or Xsi).
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    I've used max for around 7 years now I think, but I recenelty switched over to maya because that's what we're using at school. I guess I still use them 50-50, but since I like maya better, that one got my vote. laugh.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    no blender what the fack!
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Max 8 100%
    Everything else 0%
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Max 90%, Maya/Other 10%.

Oh yeah, and Photoshop 200%.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    Max 90%, Maya/Other 10%.

Oh yeah, and Photoshop 200%.

[/ QUOTE ]
    lol, yes, i don't think anything can replace photoshop.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh shit, totally forgot about blender.

I guess 'other' would be blender.

Its supposed to be what you use most, or what you are most comfortable in. I know it is commonplace to use more that one app, but like Per said, if you use Max 90% of the time and Maya the other 10%, if you voted for both then the results would not be totally accurate.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    You forgot Lightwave!
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like I forgot alot of stuff.
  • J O T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wings 3D? Hexagon? Yeah, everyone uses them! Do they come with your cornflakes?
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats why I didnt want to start the poll, I knew I would probably do the same thing wink.gif. Maybe we make up a new list and start a new poll, otherwise were not gonna learm much. Could title it 'What is your PRIMARY 3d app?'
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bah, too much effort. I think I accomplished what I needed to with this poll. 3DSMax is the shiznitz
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    My first encounter with 3D was using Extreme 3D Pro 2, if any of you remember that piece of shit app from Macromedia? Then used Max 4.2 I think it was... But had no idea what was going on so I stayed away from 3D for a while.
    Then a graphic design course I was studying taught LightWave 6.5 and used it until 7.0. The next course I did used Max 6 and have been using Max until about 3.5 months ago.
    Now I use Maya because of work but I still prefer Max.

-caseyjones
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bah, too much effort. I think I accomplished what I needed to with this poll. 3DSMax is the shiznitz

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I didnt vote till now, just chose other. Everyone uses Max clearly frown.gif
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Maya, but only because I've become so used to using it for school. Otherwise I'd probably still be a Max user.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, 3ds max has the largest userbase. That does not in fact make it 'the shiznitz'. By that logic the Toyota Camry is the finest car in the world. What was the purpose of this poll again? Remind me, because it's really not clear.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Curiousity primarily, your absolutley right about it not necessarily being the best package.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah Daz, I was just curious as to what percentage used what. As for 3DSMax being 'the shiznitz', I am not certain what that means, and I am far too inexperienced to make a judgement on what is the best program and what isn't. I guess it is impossible to make that assumption, because it is all based on opinion. Its like me saying I think that the Pilatus PC-9/A is the best aeroplane in the world. Well, what makes it the best? Its my personal opinion. The poll does make me wonder. What draws so many people to 3DSMax? There must be something that makes it dwarf the other programs in usage.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    The thing is, that it's still vague as to what precisely you mean by 'most people'. What I was talking about was specifically how prolifically max is used in the video game industry. And the reason for that is primarily historical. The reason that it's largely the tool of choice for hobbyists aswell is that it's subsequently the most easily and oft cracked 3D modeling app. And of course there are more specific game engine format exporters out there written for max than any other app.

Not that Im implying that max is crap, not at all. It has to have something going for it to get it as far along as it is today of course. I'm just hinting that there are more solid and better value for money packages out there (mentioning no names..xsi..nudge nudge wink, wink) that have the benefit of being built more recently from the ground up. They simply don't have the installed userbase that only time provides.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe we haven't got a an adequate representation of the users here, but I'm quite suprised by how far ahead Max is, particularly over Maya. It was always going to come out in front, but 63% vs 18% is a huge margin.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Only a handful of people responded so its not remotely useful data. If you want actual live data you can find it. Im sure gamasutra have done surveys. I would guess that for the games industry its around Max:60%, Maya:30% and other for the remaining 10%.

For the film industry I'm sure you'll find that maya is the clear leader.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The thing is, that it's still vague as to what precisely you mean by 'most people'. What I was talking about was specifically how prolifically max is used in the video game industry. And the reason for that is primarily historical. The reason that it's largely the tool of choice for hobbyists aswell is that it's subsequently the most easily and oft cracked 3D modeling app. And of course there are more specific game engine format exporters out there written for max than any other app.

Not that Im implying that max is crap, not at all. It has to have something going for it to get it as far along as it is today of course. I'm just hinting that there are more solid and better value for money packages out there (mentioning no names..xsi..nudge nudge wink, wink) that have the benefit of being built more recently from the ground up. They simply don't have the installed userbase that only time provides.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about just on polycount, not anywhere else. And, again, just a little bit of curiosity, I don't mean for it to be accurate. But, if I am very much mistaken, a survey of 100 people is often taken as the trend of the much wider community. So, it is reasonably accurate if you look at it that way. I suggest you don't look at the percentages, but the trend is there.

As for XSI, will have to buy that one and check it out. They don't offer a free trail do they?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    be careful, give it a year and we'll be Autodesk Polycount 4
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    You can get a trail version of XSI or Half life mod tool. Just go to Softimage.com register and download. Your poll is missing Lightwave. I can safely assume that because of it's age and because Newtek cut the price almost half, compared to Max about seven years ago it should be at least as popular as Maya in terms of use especially for the Mac user base. Lightwave for years was the only good Animation program in it's price range on Macs. You could argue with programs like Cinema 4D but it's just as expensive once you get the full package.

Alex
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    yeah, lightwave is missing. then again, it's probably a dying app these days, bearing in mind that XSI is the far more sexy offering for the cheapskates?

i was told that all in all, max holds around 80 percent of the 3D CG market (including archviz and all, film really seems like a tiny market in comparison).
    considering the rather specialized userbase around this place, it seems this survey is not too far off, eh?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I think in terms of this forum it's says the facts. Go to another forum that is just for Animation or work geared for commercials and Maya is more popular. If you want a biased forum go to one were Final Cut pro is popular and Max will probably not be mentioned at all. I think the game industry is smaller than Film and commercials. smile.gif Maybe that has changed.

Alex