Home Technical Talk

HOW DO YOU MAKE REALISTIC HAIR?

I was curious how you guys go about it? I use zbrush to sculpt it but I think it sucks. Looking for a better way....

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i hear something in realtime that you need an anisotropic shader, i kinda just use specular and difuse with VERY little normal map detail .

If it is in muddie or zed my best advice would be texturing with a hair alpha or hair strand by hair strand eheh of course, you would need an insane amount of polygons eheh...

P.S - writing on capitals it the shit.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Not to be an ass... ok maybe to be a complete ass, but how can you afford all of these applications and not read the manuals. All of your questions are OMG HELP ME NOW !!!1111 one zero ONE ON!!!! You are 24, but talk to your peers like a 15 year old. If you think Zbrush sucks, why did you buy it?

Zbrushcentral has tons of tutorial and reference scuplts. Gnomon has DVD's you can buy. Seriously you claim to be in training, but you seem to do nothing for your self.

Read the directions, use google ffs. If you purchased the items, you have manuals.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    how can you afford all of these applications and not read the manuals. If you think Zbrush sucks, why did you buy it?

[/ QUOTE ]

"cool thanx time to hit up the torrent search engines! "

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=167147&an=0&page=0#Post167147

;-P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    :-P I bought zbrush and it didn't even have it's own box

This dvd is great

and don't pirate shit, get a credit card, I got a card with a $3500 limit from my bank.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed, stop asking for people to spoon-feed you everything.
    You don't get skills and knowledge handed to you on a plate, you have to work for it.
    Try working stuff out for yourself, and at least spend a little time on learning a program before running scared.
    ZBrush is very good for sculpting, so stick with it and read some tutorials, just don't keep posting silly questions that you obviously haven't even researched on your own first.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I kinda feel like he says that sculpting hair in zbrush sucks, which is something I agree with - except if one is looking for a specific statue look.

BUt then again , jut a guess hey :P
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    And here's a spinning quad...
    quaddmg.gif

-caseyjones
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    OK, PStrive, here's a little more constructive post:

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php...true#Post112220

Jaco's tutorial on how to do hair in ZBrush, he gets very good results from it.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    sculpt main shapes, paint diffuse with phototextures, then crazybump and overlay normal map from it to normal map with main shapes. but after go here
    Image->Adjustments->Channel mixer->Blue channel
    and make blue channel about 50%(to overlay layer).
    that's all.
  • PStrive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow. Firstly I'd like to thank the people who shared their knowledge. to those who criticize me. You just look like a complete ahole because how do you know if I researched online myself for tutorials and performed DIY with the programs I use? For your information I own mulitple gnomon dvds, and have spent hours upon hours looking at tutorials. I thought these forums were used to dicuss and exchange information and knowledge? I asked questions to hopefully gain another perspective on certain aspects of modeling and texturing. By the way Asmuel go fuck yourself I was cracking a joke you uptight piece of shit. How stupid would I be to announce I pirate software on a forum? Haha Thanks all. I'm done with polycount.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Why are people being so unreasonable and irritable the last few days. I'd put it down to the oppressive heat, except half of you are problably imbedded in smow drifts right now.

The fella asked for some tips, and while its a question we see in here pretty frequently, it hardly seems necessary to get all derisive.

That said, a little tact wouldn't go astray, PStrive.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Awww, cmon guys. Please lighten up. Getting your nickers in a twist over something silly like this is not good for your health. People are Smartarses. Its funny, but dont take anything by it. Learn to laugh at yourself, and don't bite peoples heads off just because they write the title in CAPITALS. Honestly, lets just hug it out bitches.
    kitty%20hug.jpg
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    By the way Asmuel go fuck yourself I was cracking a joke you uptight piece of shit. How stupid would I be to announce I pirate software on a forum? Haha Thanks all. I'm done with polycount

[/ QUOTE ]

Grow up and calm the fuck down. It wasn't remotely apparent AT ALL that it was a joke.
    The advice from Mop and Moz was harsh but sound. Take your age off your sig for chrissakes. How is that relevant?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    You can always use planes with alphas and slowly give it some style. Modeling hair sucks and will look bad until you have decent textures on it. If you have a powerful enough computer you can try to model some strands here and there but you try to establish the form and then just make it look real with textures. Try normal maps if you want but they might be too harsh for hair. To get good and it you have to just keep doing it over and over.

Check out tutorials on painting hair they should apply to modeling hair. I think Poop might have some on his site

www.poopinmymouth.com
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds to me like you haven't done your homework. Search yet? Tons of info around...
    Most effective way to do fur
    Like totally! Like doing hair.
    Baking Hair?
    Best solution for real-time hair?
    etc. etc. etc.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    usualy takes way more than 20 posts to run off idiots,,
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd put it down to the oppressive heat...
    -Jackablade

[/ QUOTE ]
    HOW FUCKING HOT IS IT!!!
    *dies*

-caseyjones
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    wBy the way Asmuel go fuck yourself I was cracking a joke you uptight piece of shit. How stupid would I be to announce I pirate software on a forum? Haha Thanks all. I'm done with polycount.

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif lol what a little bitch, it was obvious that <u>I</u> was the one making a joke, and he was in all likelyhood not joking at all.
    Gee, I wonder what it means when I have wink.gif and laugh.gif next to it?
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd put it down to the oppressive heat...
    -Jackablade

[/ QUOTE ]
    HOW FUCKING HOT IS IT!!!
    *dies*

-caseyjones

[/ QUOTE ]

Fucking ridiculous. I am in Gippsland, and it is smokey as hell also. Argh.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Be smart about this kid. The people who post here consists of professional artists. Working for companies that you may eventually want to work at. If you can't handle doing a little work yourself, or taking crits. You picked the wrong career path. I would respect every ounce of thier opinions if this is truely what you want to persue as a career. My comments were pretty valid. You can take it constructively also you know.

Again if you dont want crits, don't post to an art board. Infact put the mouse down, and walk away from anything art related.