Home General Discussion

Junior Vs Senior

Just wondered what the difference in roles would be between a Junior and Senior 3D artist at a game studio in terms of work on each project and what would be expected skill wise for a junior.

Cheers,

Justin

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Juniors do all the grates.
  • justinlalaland
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    8 trips to the tea room each day.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    You'll probably end up doing the same tasks as a senior artist, unless you can't handle the same types of stuff they can. A good portfolio would probably get you a Junior (entry level) position. Tack on 5 years of experience and some brains, and you should have a senior position. And you'd probably actually make enough money to survive this winter.
  • justinlalaland
    A good portfolio, it is right to assume the portfolio for a junior wouldnt have to be to the same standard as a senior artist?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i've seen junior artist portfolios that are just as good, or better, than seniors. But a senior should know which buttons NOT to press.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    A good portfolio, it is right to assume the portfolio for a junior wouldnt have to be to the same standard as a senior artist?

[/ QUOTE ]

I read this as;
    "can I get a job with a crappy portfolio? I don't want to take the time to learn on my own and I want out of my parents basement NOW!"

Yes, but not a job you would want to work at for very long.

Quality places hire quality not on the promise of quality after much investment on the companies part. I don't know too many places that pass over junior artists with a good portfolio to go with someone who has a worse portfolio but promises to become better? It's best to show up knocking on their door with the skills they require than it is to show and ask to be trained.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Senior Artist usually means you work on the high-profile assets, you may have some management duties (teach Juniors, help with schedules, art-direct team, etc.), and you tend to research new techniques/software for use by you and the team. Similar to Art Director role.

Junior Artist usually means capable production artist, just with limited experience. You get a number of similar assets to plow through, usually with clearly-defined designs/expectations (provided by Sr).
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    well, as far as I have seen, a junior artist is entry level, then right around 2 years experience you can drop the junior and just be an "artist" "Production artist" "Environment Artist" "Character Artist" or plain old "3d artist" Then at around 4+ years you can begin to look for jobs that have Senior in the title.
  • justinlalaland
    Not at all Vig, for a start I own my own place and secondly I absolutely would put the time in, otherwise id choose an easier profession or stick with web design! anyway smile.gif ...

What I meant was, say in web design for example. If you were going for a junior role, your work wouldnt be expected to be on the same par as someone doing it for 8 years. So therefore you wouldnt have the same responsibility as a senior, you would do all the basic production (creating banners, labels/headers, page layouts) where as the senior guy would actually design the site from scratch, come up with branding, concepts etc. In most disciplines people with more experience are expected to be better at their skill/craft that those with less experience and thats usually reflected in responsibility and task set within the role (and salary of course!) and I wondered how that compared with 3D.

Cheers,

Justin
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Similar to what ghost_rider said, in my experience the title's of Junior and Senior don't refer to art talent, but level of work experience.

When a company wants to hire a Senior Artist they want someone that has PROVEN several times that they can get the job done.

As far as separation of tasks between Senior and Junior artist, in my experience, it really depends of the company you work at. Some companies give the important assets to the Senior Artist, and some to simply the more talented artists.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Monster is spot on from the companies I've worked at.

It really depends on the companies. I have a little over a year of exp and I was Senior Envir Artist at my previous job. It just happened that I was the only person they had that knew the engine they used and I used that as a bargaining chip.

Oddly enough now, the title really doesn't matter to me. I think it's because I was a Senior Artist before having one year of exp I've realized that the title has nothing to do with job happiness.

I'm now an Envir Artist and do the same job as the Senior Artist. But the Senior Artist has 4+ years of exp on me. To be honest also it really doesn't bother me.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I think it more comes down to the question of WHY?. A Junior artist just might be as good artistically as a senior artist, but the senior artist knows why things work and why things don't work. Senior artists are the ones with the answers. Why is this shader not working properly? What can I do to rig all our characters more efficiently. These are the types of answers that come with experience.

Or it could just go by age. Anyone over 30 automatically becomes a senior artist, anyone under 24 is a junior artist.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Age has nothing to do with it.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Ah the subtle art of sarcasm on the internet. Lost forever. frown.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarcasm has subtlety to do with it. smile.gif
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    the biggest difference between junior and senior artists I've found is technical knowledge. I've seen some amazingly talented artists in both positions, but more often than not, the senior artist was the one that was a talented artist AND could answer just about any question about the software/engine being worked with. It's often the senior's job to help out others on the team, teach them how to use the tools and produce artwork in the company's style/pipeline. The junior artist tends to be the one asking more questions and/or just working on the assets he's given.

and of course, there are always exceptions
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Senior artist is the one who likes to fill their day with silly responsibilities like:

attending meetings
    mentoring junior artists
    communicating with other teams
    setting an example
    writing docs
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BmMln54lt9A"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BmMln54lt9A&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Junior artists make art and generally only have to do what they're asked to do.
    Senior artists actively seek out problems and try to solve them. They help train the juniors and they help develop art tools.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    lol...Hawken I was thinking the same thing when I opened this thread...