Home General Discussion

rent Mirrormask

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
I apologize for two movie posts in a row but I rented this on Monday and I felt I should post, being the huge Neil Gaiman fan that I am. It's a bit cliche, it's pretty much Labyrinth meets Cirque de Soleil, and the 3d graphics aren't the greatest either.

The music sounds straight out of Cirque de Soleil (they actually use the title song in La Nouba). I'm not a big fan of that weird new age jazz stuff.

Bottom line? My new favorite movie! Excuse me for being a bit cliche myself but it's a great movie for the whole family. I mean Labyrinth is all well and good but you can see David Bowie's penis through his tights!

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    It disappointed me a great deal. I figured a combination of Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean doing a movie would be awesome. However, I was bored throughout it. The imagery and concepts weren't all that interesting to me either.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I agree with Neo. I'm a big Gaiman and McKean fan, but this one was boring. The scenes I liked the most were the ones that didn't have any effects, like the shots at that wretched apartment building.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only scene I enjoyed in it, was when the weird jack in the box mannequins start to do their thing to the girl with some interesting music playing. Although the transition from 3d to real with the mannequin's hands was awful.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I also had high hopes for the movie. And was severly dissapointed. A movie that fantastical shouldn't be that boring. And the creatures and effects annoyed me more than anything. Watch Labyrinth again. Or the Wizard of Oz.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I drug my girlfirend to go see this in the theatre..thinking Gaiman and Mckean + creature shop could not produce a bad film.....I enjoyed silent hill more than this..and that's saying alot
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    I thought it was an absolute waste of time. I'm a huge fan of both Gaiman and McKean, but that movie was drivel. Had a few interesting visuals though, for sure. But I would say as the experiement that it was, it was a total failure.

two cents.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I used to live down the road from that fucked up apartment building, looked like something out of the Bosnian war.

Loads of junkies lived in squats there. Plus there was no power or running water in the building. I think they have renovated it now.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I thought the movie was good (not great), then again I had no idea about it. I bought it on a fluke some odd months back in one of those Walmart '5 dollar dvd bins'. I found it kinda odd, cause it was pretty much a new release then. But, I love Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean...so I knew it'd be good. It was intended to be Labyrinth 2, but later made into it's own story. Didn't we already discuss this? hehe
    Definitely wasn't as horrid as the British series of Neverwhere. I don't think their work translates well to the screen. Either way...American Gods had better get a huge budget if they ever decide to bring that over to the silver screen!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember Gilliam had been slated to Direct Good Omens. But the project was canceled for some reason. Which is really a bummer, because I think of all director Gilliam could definitely do Gaiman justice.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess i'm the only one to have enjoyed it much then. I thought it was very nice in terms of atmosphere and pacing. Certainly the 3d wasn't much to look at, but it did 'work'. It was pretty much Labyrinth meets Cirque, but that was enough for me smile.gif
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    I just watched the first ten minutes. Mckee is so underused as an actress... good to see her get some screen time.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Watch the rest of it, Daz. Its a great movie despite what all these whiny nay-sayers are nay-saying.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also got a good fix of gypsy-inspired music out of it, which is always good, heh.
    Seriously though, great visuals (despite what's being said about them, rendering doesn't make the composition and mood any less impressive), fantastic mood, solid acting, with a good dose of abstractness on top of it? gimme more!