Home General Discussion

Noob question No.2

Hey All,

Thanks for answering my questions so far. I had another question. As far as junior/entry level 3D artist jobs go, what skills and what level of ability is required to go for these kinda roles. I look at peoples work on this board and am blown away thinking it could take me years to get to that level! But then I wouldnt be trying to get senior roles and obviously the more you do it, the better you get. SO I just wondered what level of skill you would need to get a junior role.

Cheers,

Justin

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    work and try to do cool stuff smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really depends on the places you apply for. Before you apply take a look at the games they have done and ask yourself can I do this? Can I do better than this? If you fall short, how short? How long do you think it will take you to get up to speed?

Most places are looking for someone to hit the ground running. Most of the time you'll get an adjustment period but its not a period of time they will use to teach someone how to model, unwrap, texture ect... Don't think that just by stepping inside a studio that all of a sudden you'll become a great artists or everyone will bend over backwards to teach you all the little tips and tricks, some people might but most won't and you need to be able to do the job before they even look at you.

This industry isn't like construction where they will hire someone with next to no skill, let them fallow a pro around, make them sweep floors and do grunt work until they get the hang of it then promote them to a higher level. There are a few places that do "internships" or have "production assistants" but those positions are either unpaid, under paid or don't exist in most places.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I've been trying to get good enough for years and years. Not there yet.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    8 years over here, but about 6 of those 8 I thought I could cut it as a character artist :-P