Home General Discussion

Wii virtual console and possibilities

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
[MILES] polycounter lvl 17
http://seriousgamessource.com/features/feature_112806_wii_3.php

The first two pages of the article weren't overly impressive, but an interesting point is made on this third page. Might be another outlet for small team indies.

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    It's been discussed before, but will take some time to catch on. It was Nintendo's intention, and why many people, like myself, were excited to see a console like this being released. Instead of pushing the bar raising graphics of large team developed titles, it's giving the little guys a chance to shine, and reinvent the industry. Old school creativity with new age technology. More fun.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Kinda like Xbox Live has been doing for a while. You know, supporting indy gamers and the such?

I don't understand why this is a new thing?

Not saying it's bad someone other than MS is doing it, but really, it's not new...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    it is if you can use the remote to control them wouldn't you say?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    It seemed to me that a good portion of that article was pointing out that the real innovation was not the remote, but the virtual console and support for indy developers, and that the remote really wasn't all that important.

Which is something I agree with. Expecting the remote to help with innovation is silly. All the same games that are made with it could be made without. It just helps to add in a new dimension to the controlling of those games.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, that wasn't the point of the article at all. The article is discussing the possibility of legacy support for long-dead consoles. It's talking about makeing entirely new games for the NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, and Turbo-Grafix.

A Wii game would still take a lot of time and effort to develop. (not to mention resources and personel) A NES game, on the other hand, can be developed in a month or less by a team of three-four people. The specs are just so much lower that an acceptable title would require a lot less work. (not to mention how much the necessary tools have developed since the days of NES development) Even efforts on an epic scale would require no more than a team of twenty and a year's worth of effort. And with the current prices on Virtual Console titles, you could recoup your development expenses and then some with just a few thousand sales.

Indie development for the Wii is still a daunting endeavor. But indie development for the NES, or the SNES? Maybe a little Turbo-Grafix and Genesis? That's within the range of hobbyists.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    3 or 4 people on a nes gaem? are you mad? 1 person could make a nes game.

I used to make snes games and we had a team of like 4 people.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    One person can make an Atari 2600 game in six weeks. One company can produce millions of copies and bury them in a landfill!
  • Xenobond
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Sony sets 500mb limit on digitally distributed titles.

that article says the XBox 360's limit is 50mb. has Nintendo announced a size limit for theirs?