Home Technical Talk

Unreal - Transparent object blocking others

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
Hey, I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but does anyone here know how to fix it in unreal (2) is having a problem where an object with a alpha transparency is blocking other static meshes behind it from being rendered?

I think it's an problem with render priority or sorting, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to fix it.

If anyone could help that'd be great.

Thanks.

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    If its not already set try making the material the object uses a final blend with its blend mode set to FB_Alphablend.

Its likely defaulting to overwrite, and might be the cause of blocking the objects behind it.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try and it didn't seem to do it. frown.gif

Any other ideas?
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 18
    is alphatest checked in your final blend?

or you might need to use masked alpha instead of alpha blending.

you might check out udn, my memory is fading on unreal2 stuff
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Main/WebHome
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and or, would it be possible to send the offending texture package to me so I can actually test it in ued? It would be much more effective than blind speculation. smile.gif
    vailias at gmail dot com if you choose to send it.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Well it is optimization thingy i think, the engine will not render polys that are fully behind other objects.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the help guys. laugh.gif

I just got it working. I had to turn off ZWrite in final blend.

Works perfectly now. smile.gif

Thanks again.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    I got a similiar ut ed problem right now. I've imported a table, the top of it will be glass so it has an alpha channel. UT is optimizing out tris on the bottom half, which flicker from being drawn to not being drawn depending on your viewing angle.

313064295_c994806e9f_o.jpg

I haven't set up any antiportals yet, so it's not that. My understanding was that UT only works on a per triangle basis with BSP geometry, and should be optimizing on a per-mesh basis for static meshes. I couldn't find anything that helped in the static mesh browser options, or in the properties for this instance of the static mesh. Any ideas would be helpful, and don't mind the placeholder textures :P
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penzer. The lod process for imported meshes works by smoothing group borders, and or uv seams, so you'll get culling at the breaks in the uv map first. ALSO if you have unwelded verts it will often lead to holes at the polygon with the separate verts. ITs logically the same as a uv seam to the LOD system.
    The only other thing that leads to this sort of look is if you have imported a non triangulated mesh, but the results from that are usually much worse.

Double check the vert issues first, and if they are fine, consider splitting your mesh into 2 parts, one for the top glass and one for the base, and see if the problem sorts itself out.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mesh is triangulated, verts are welded. I'm at school now, so I'll double check the smoothing groups when I get home. I'll post if it worked or not later tonight, thanks
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back at home now, tried re-importing it again. Double checked the smoothing groups, didn't fix it. I'll run it by a friend tomorrow, see if theres an option I can turn on or anything to fix it. If not, I'll split it into pieces. Thank you
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you read how I solved mine and try it?

Also, are the faces there before you add the material? I'm assuming so. If they are then making the material a Final Blend and turning zWrite to false should fix it right up.

If you need help with any of it just ask at school.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya I tried that when I read what worke for you, but it didn't work for me. The problem you were having was that it was optimizing out other meshes being blocked by it. Mine, as far as I can tell, is that tris within the model are being optimized out. That doesn't make any sense, because Unreal is supposed to optimize static meshes on a per-mesh basis and only bsp's on a per triangle basis.

I talked to Mark, he said it might be problems with Alpha sorting. Looking into that now
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    I like the unreal 3 solution... rip lit transparencies out of the engine entirely wink.gif -yeah yeah, I know.