Home General Discussion

Wii Launch Thread

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
Y HALO THAR! Wii is coming out tonight at Midnight, who all is getting on, what games?

Legend of Zelda, best launch title ever?
Red Steel, good test in wii FPS controls?
Monkey Ball, one party game to rule them all?

GO!

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i will sell my soul for one. i kid you not.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    I have 2 coming to me.... GO WII GO!!!

sadly they are for my neices and nephews (sister's 3 and bro's 4) for christmas ....

...of course I need to make sure they work and not part of a dodgy batch... wink.gif
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    DIE!!!

three weeks left frown.gif
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I'm getting one...but I'm most likely going to wait until after the holidays. I'd like to try out a kiosk machine first anyway.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with miles. But my reason is because I'm broke and I have to see if anyone buys me one for xmas. hehe.
  • Lee3dee
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    There are plenty of Wii's to go around, unlike the PS3.
    I'm quite positive you'll be able to casually walk into a store and pick one up.

Aren't there like 500,000-1,000,000 units for the US launch?
    Compare that to the paltry 180,000 units or so, for PS3.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I'm only gonna bother getting one if I win one with my Gears of Time level at an upcoming lan party... and even then I don't foresee myself using it much...
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan is such a negative nancy, with all your xbox360 is the next generation and its already been here a year mumbo jumbo and wiik sauce crap. i think a Wii360 is an excellent combination
  • darkvir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't wait till tomorrow morning! I'll be picking one up!
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    DIE!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to the nearest mountain range and freeze yourself. Then have someone come to thaw you in three weeks. It's a foolproof plan.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I can't help myself, really. All I've done today is search youtube.com for wii videos for: Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda:TP, FF:CC:Chrystal Bearers, Excite Truck, Mario Strikers: Charged, Dragon Warrior (railed...eek!), Batallion Wars ii, Super Monkey Ball, and Ray Man Rabbids.

Hopefully more stuff will hit the net soon to curb my anxiousness. But, sadly I'm having to force myself to wait. I've got hospital bills still left to pay since our baby was born...and I should probably wait until after the holidays and my Xbox sales. But I haven't been this excited about a console in the last 20 years. And I'm proud to say I've been WOW free for 8 months now. Yay! smile.gif
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh gawd, 1 hour and 14 minutes left here!!! ahhhh
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I went out to my local 24 hour Walmart, but they said they only got 27 units in, and they were all reserved as of noon. People were still lined up outside, but they said they're not getting any more in until probably after Christmas. Same at the nearest Gamestop, according to the sign they had posted.

I'm totally buying one in February when they come out for real though.
  • Brian Miller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian Miller polycounter lvl 18
    Does anyone know if Toys"R"us, Target, or Best buy are going to open earilier in the morning for the launch? I really don't want to wait more than an hour, so I might try to go a little early to a shopping center that has four of the major chains that are selling Wii's and try my luck. It probably won't work out, but oh well. I called up the local Wal-mart tonight but they said they already have more people in line than units for the midnight launch.

Luckily I can buy a Wii in two weeks from where I work, but I'm so excited for this launch I don't want to wait ooo.gif, even though I know I should.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    my brother got his at walmart, they gave it to him at midnight, he called me when he got it. he camped out and waited 26 hours to get it. haha but once he got it home he had to wait awhile to play cause it had to update on the internet...i wont get to play it until christmas tho.. boooo
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    target up in simi valley claims to have around 75-90 units for sale. We'll see if their just talking crap. so I got 2 friends up there camping. played it on thurs, lucky bastard that works at eb got one early and brought it to class. Red steel sucks nuts. just be warned....
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    DIE!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

same here... not sure why they have delayed the Japanese launch...

I'm looking forward to putting movies on my 2gb SD card and watching them on my Wii - as I don't have a computer at home any more.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

same here... not sure why they have delayed the Japanese launch...

I'm looking forward to putting movies on my 2gb SD card and watching them on my Wii - as I don't have a computer at home any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard its cuzz the holiday shopping season is differ in the us or something. But still weird that their waiting for the japanese for 3 weeks, unless they have nifty treat for japanese versions only.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    There are plenty of Wii's to go around, unlike the PS3.
    I'm quite positive you'll be able to casually walk into a store and pick one up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately I don't believe thats the case. Me, my girlfriend and a group of our other friends camped outside our 24 walmart for 11 hours to get one today. They had 35 units, and there were at least 30 people behind us at one point, and that wasn't even late into the night. While I was at the counter exchanging my voucher for the system there were still many people coming in thinking they would be in great supply. Keep in mind also that I live in New Braunfels, TX, with a population of 50,000 that is comprised mostly of people who do nothing but drink beer, swim at the river, go to dance halls, and listen to americana. The walmart told me that they expect only a few more, if not just one shipment before the end of the year. I also drove by Target to see some friends and they had the entire stock already reserved by people in tents - same with circuit city and best buy. I also managed to grab 3 copies of zelda and 2 more remotes. Between me, my friends, and our friend who runs the local lan center we have all the launch titles covered. smile.gif IM EXCITED... I already played a bit of excite truck and watched red steel/zelda at the lan center and it looked awesome.

Do you think that the price of the Wiis on ebay will increase right before Christmas? There's little point to both me and my girlfriend having one since we're always together.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    they are getting like 6 to 800 right now... i would sell that crap.
    http://wii.yahoo.com/buyers-guide
  • darkvir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn here in Edmonton, it's completely sold out, there were crazy lineups at bestbuy, toyrus, and futureshop. I guess i'll have to hold up till next shipment...
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    Heh, over here in the Netherlands every store that wants to sell them get a max of 20 wii's to sell... I already pre-ordered and paid of mine at a local gaming store so im 100% sure to get one *yay* :P

They release the wii at the 7th of December over here so if anybody wants one and really cant handle the wait for the next shipment let me know and I might be able to pre-order another one
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my wii is fun! it takes some getting used to to play obviously. i am only like 4 foot away from my tv so it can be ackward at times, they say you should be at least like 6 - 8 feet away. Any other lucky kids out there?
  • Vito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vito polycounter lvl 18
    sonic, can I come over to your place and play yours?
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    A couple of my friends waited for 12 hours at a meijer. I kept them company for about half of that time and then played with them for a few hours. It was a blast and we only had wii sports.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone fortunate enough to get one of these have an estimate on how long the sensor cord is? I have a rather wonky setup (systems on a rack behind me) because I have a projector. I haven't heard any feedback on how well it works with a 96'' television so I hope I'm not in trouble :X
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The sensor code is really long. I have no idea in feet. But it's a big un.

Also we need to get a thread for the system codes going. I'd like to see some PCer Mii thingys showing up in Wii Sports.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    flaagan is such a negative nancy, with all your xbox360 is the next generation and its already been here a year mumbo jumbo and wiik sauce crap. i think a Wii360 is an excellent combination

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite the fact we have a 53" big screen tv, my gaming is 99% relegated to this location, so having the space to play with the Wii without looking like I'm playing with MY wii isn't likely most of the time. tongue.gif

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a cool system, but I'm very happy with my 360, and don't care much for the ps3, so for the time being I'm gonna be a MS only gamer (Pc and 360).
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I haven't heard any feedback on how well it works with a 96'' television so I hope I'm not in trouble :X

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you suffer... a lot.... tongue.gif
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I've got mine, played zelda the most (game wise) that is.
    We've had friends over all weekend, played redsteel for about 10 minutes on multiplayer, wii sports for like 2 hours, monkey ball for 20 minutes (boring, though) and spent almost 9 hours making Mii's.
    That's right.
    9 FUCKING HOURS ON MII'S.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    sonic, can I come over to your place and play yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

or you could by my other one smile.gif
  • Vito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vito polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, you're evil. So tempting.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Travis picked one up at midnight, so I stormed his house yesterday and made him show it off.

I have to say, wii sports is ridiculously fun. Especially when all the characters in it are your personal avatar. Something satisfying watching your little 3d self beating the crap out of your buddy.

I flailed like a wounded monkey, but it was damn fun.

Zelda's graphics aren't anything you didn't see on gamecube, and some of the environments hearkened back to N64's ocarina, but that doesn't matter once you get into it. Where else can you pick a pumpkin and nail a chicken with it, or call an eagle and have it attack a cat?

I finally picked up a 360 the other day, and after playing the wii I was sad because I knew I'd have to pick one up.

A victory for Upfish(re: Nintendo)!
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

I hope you suffer... a lot.... tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahha oh there is much suffering! Though I must say, the projector and screen were less then most 42'' flat screens, and you should see my makeshift PVC pipe screen hanger with the red Target window blind trim for that oh so theatric movie experience.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    looking like I'm playing with MY wii

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't the DS' ad campaign "touch it"? hehehe

As for the Wii, I was hoping to walk in and buy one. WTF happened to those days? I think the PS2 started this whole unit-shortage-stand-in-line-mania. Hell, I remember just walking in on launch day, picking up a PS1, and Dreamcast. I got to BestBuy about 5 minutes early for the Xbox launch. There were 10 others already there. I stood in line for 4 hrs for my 360.

But seriously, people are camping out a WEEK or sometimes more, and the fuckers more of than not, are just reselling on Ebay. Grrrrr
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we get our free Wii's here at work today! smile.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arse smile.gif
    If you play the virtual console stuff, let us know how it is.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    when will it come in europe ? i think that if it is 250 euros i d rather order games and the console from the states...
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    8th Dec is Euro launch i think, and it will most likely be 250euros atleast i hope it will not be 250pounds.
    Its not worth importing if you just want to save money because if customs stop it you most likely end up paying more not to mention the possible hassels with warranty and stuff.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Walmart.com has them in stock right now.

ONLY in bundles, though frown.gif
    $650 bundles, that is.
    Talk about bullshit.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The Toys R Us by my house got 90 in. They had 40 or so left when I went at noon. I had to go on a 3 store hunt to find nunckus. I really wish they packaged all the controllers together. What a pain. Virtual console is cool. I played a lil Zelda 1. I'm more excited about getting some new titles through it. Guess that's next year.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    I thinks that wiis biggst problem jeffro.
    There are many xbox360 or ps3 blockbusters anounched, but no wii titles.
    I want to buy a wii, but I don't know which cool games will be released after the huge launch :/
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone else having online troubles with the Wii? it takes FOREVER for me to get messages from people, and connecting to the Virtual Console takes like 20 - 30 minutes.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have one yet frown.gif
    That's a problem. smile.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    By the way, don't ever camp out at Walmart if you're given the choice. From all the stories I've heard, including mine, that places doesn't give a shit about their customers.

Basically what happened with me was all day long the Walmart employees promised there would be at least 35 units, maybe 40. So at 11 pm, right before they passed out the vouchers, they announced they only have 28 and there will be no rainchecks passed out to the remaining 7 who were promised one. I was number 26 in line (I should have been number 20 actually, but these old asshats cut with their family at the last second and even though 95% of the line complained, Walmart still gave them a voucher), so I already was guaranteed to get one. When I got there and me and my 2 friends both got theirs, me and my girlfriend stayed behind to make sure they didn't bullshit the remaining 7 out of a raincheck. For the PS3, they were supposed to get 10 at walmart and only ended up getting 5, and they gave rainchecks to the remaining 5, but they refused to give them out here. My girlfriend and I argued with the 2 assistant managers on duty (night shift doesn't have a real manager) for over an hour with an angry mob of about 30 people behind us. Finally, they agreed to take everyone's name down and call them as soon as the Monday/Tuesday shipment came in and they would have a Wii waiting for them behind the counter. So not only did the remaining 7 get guaranteed one, but so did the other 20 or so people behind them (which was a by-product of my bitching, I wasn't meaning to make sure they got one, they knew there wouldn't be more than 35). Afterwards I had the 5 people that were behind us come up to me and shake my hand for getting them to come to a compromise. All in all it seems kind of silly when I think about it, but those people waited outside for 10 hours and were guaranteed to get one, only to be told they would have to wait in line again for hours on Monday or Tuesday, and that's bullshit.

Also, there was a couple of douchebags who brought two of their infant sons who were out there for over 20 hours in the hot and cold (we live in texas, it went from over 90 degrees with the sun coming down right on top of us to below 37 as the sun set) just to get 2 more vouchers so they could sell more Wiis on ebay. When we went inside to purchase the systems, both of their sons were asleep and curled up on the tile floor near the bathrooms and were coughing and wheezing. Right before their number came up, they came over and yelled at their sons to wake up and carried them over to the counter, shoved a credit card in their hand, and forced them to buy one. I wanted to throw up when I saw how fucking lame these people were. I made sure to tell those pricks how shitty of parents they were as they walked by, but of course the coward couldn't even look me in the eye.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    sounds quite confrontational, it's only a box of wires.

then again, i had a go at a station employee the other day for not telling me where the bathroom was. I also needed a wii