Home General Discussion

burger time

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6154600.stm

yay!

I think thats a really good idea, not that it'll change anything, but good idea all the same.

Replies

• arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i think it would be better if fast food companies and the like were banned from using any type of devices for attracting kids, like play grounds and toys... i mean the cigarette companies are not allowed to give prizes away for smoking anymore, and honesty i would rather take my chances smoking that a fast food diet.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I think there are worse commercials that need to be addressed, before going after fast food ones. Has anyone really watched cartoon network, or even saturday morning cartoons? Watch the commercials with the mindset that kids are watching it. There are often adult targeted commercials that make you wonder why they are showing it to kids.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman you're totally right, we need more Girls Gone Wild commercials during the Fairly Odd Parents. PSST, Adult Swim is not for kids... just an FYI hehehe.

On a serious note I totally support this. It won't change much right away but hopefully along with better food education in schools and at home it will have an impact. Too bad America will never go for this =/ Most fast food joint around here either took out their playgrounds due to liability issues that "could" arise, or moved them inside to padded play areas which are actually just large petri dishes. At least when the playgrounds where outside the concrete and plastic would be washed semi clean by the rain.

When my kid comes of age to enter one of those places, he/she will be dipped in a vat of hand sanitizer when it comes out.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Glad to see this being done.

I'm not sure if it would have be shown over there (or anywhere outside the UK), but the check Jamie Oliver did a TV show (for his campaign on healthy food) where they try to fix school dinners. It seems to have been working in many places now.

However parenting is also an issue. At one school there were a group of parents who would go to the chippy and buy chips, burgers and all that and pass it to the kids at lunchtime through the fence.

"My kids don't want to eat that stuff, they'd rather eat chips and chocolate".

No shit lady. But do you think a 12 year old really knows/cares about health issues like this?

From the show, he said statitics show this it he first generation who have a lower life expectancy than their parents. Hopefully things will improve for future generations.