Home General Discussion

Wii? Looks too much like hard work to me ...

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
danr interpolator
i've been watching a few wii videos, and how the games use the controller ... in particular, CoD3 http://videogames.yahoo.com/gamepreview?cid=1951383593&tab=previews&page=0&eid=491718 brought back memories of how knackered and achey my mouse hand could get after a tense and fraught session on CoD2, and just watching the new vids make my poor arms hurt ... i hope they're adding plenty of save points, i sense a new dawn of bite-size gaming ...

or is it just me being a wimp?

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    You don't actually have to play like that, though. The Wiimote only needs small hand movements. Granted, you CAN play like that, if you want. :P
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I think we should all honestly look at how lazy we are for worrying about how hard it will be to use the Wiimote thing; it's mentioned in every Gamespot article on the Wii... back in my day, you had to move to play REAL games, like hide and seek and stuff? Would it be terrible to have to do 1/100 of the work to play video games? :P
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    I'm not worried about the Kids, they should be outside playing hide and seek anway ... but most of us have done hide and seek. That time is passed. Now is the time of chilled wine, spice racks, 5-hob cookers, roof terraces and £700 Star Wars posters.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not a matter of being lazy, it's a matter of wanting to relax. Children have oodles of energy, are still developing, and do not work.
    When I come home from work I'm exhausted, mentally. I don't want to get tired physically on top of it. I want to sit down, relax and play a game. And as I said, the Wiimote can be played with small hand movements as well. Shouldn't be a big issue.
  • polybrained
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polybrained polycounter lvl 17
    the guy in the video looks like a he's a serial killer. his eyes... so intense
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, it looks like it's almost as much work as playing golf or bowling, and we all know how physically demanding those "sports" are. Gosh, you practically have to be an Olympic-level athlete.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Oh no! I had to flick my wrist to move the mouse to click on this thread! God, the internet is so much damn work. What were they thinking? I'm going back to watching TV.
    Aw crap, I still need to pick up the remote to turn it on. Stupid technology. How am I ever going to relax now?

Want to know ahead of time whether the Wii will tucker you out? Follow these 4 easy steps:
    1) Pick up two AA batteries.
    2) Hold them in one hand like you would a remote.
    3) Rest your hand in your lap, pointed at your TV.
    4) Rotate your wrist a bit.
    Tired yet?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    at school did your PE/gym teacher ever make you do that thing where they made the class stand with your arms stretched right out, and had to repeatedly open and close your fists until everyone either broke down, seized up or started crying? Some of these control systems remind me a bit of that, only i suppose you don't *have to play, and the first one to drop out doesn't get molested afterwards
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    To be honest, you are being a total wimp, danr.

I look forward to the Wii's control schemes, and getting a little exercise at it, that's what made DDR so popular, that the player is in motion participating in the game a lot more than button clicks and manuevering a mouse or joystick.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

or is it just me being a wimp?

[/ QUOTE ]

no comment smile.gif

tbh, I really like the idea that I can burn some calories whilst playing a game.

Interesting to note however that the graphics of the game look *distinctly* crappy compared to other platforms.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Daz, the wii crunching power is quite inferior to sony and MS .. it's supposedly only slightly faster than the gamecube
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    that thing where they made the class stand with your arms stretched right out, and had to repeatedly open and close your fists until everyone either broke down, seized up or started crying? Some of these control systems remind me a bit of that

[/ QUOTE ]
    ...only without the arms stretched out, and without opening and closing your fists?

Look, there are some Wii games which obviously take a little more effort to play. WiiSports even has a Fitness mode for boxing. But in the cases where a lot of movement is required, that movement is what makes it fun. Swinging a golf club is more fun than moving an analog stick up and down. The extra effort is what enhances the experience. It's not just a physical difference, it's a mental one. It feels better to slash an enemy than to push a button and watch them be slashed.

And for the rest of the games you hardly need to move at all, holding a ridiculously light controller which you can rest in your lap.
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    I can't believe you think it looks to much hard work to play though. Did you ever have the original Nintendo? Did running on the track and field mat tire you out too? Or how about duck hunt, that heavy plastic gun too much for you?

I think the Wii will be great for some kids that spend too much time playing games to get some exercise. Might not be much but with how fat people are getting some is better then none.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    you know he could be right.. i mean wiping my ass is so much work, and eating.. holy crap it so exhausting i would almost rather starve..
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Do some push-ups, sissy boy!
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    *see todays penny-arcade strip*
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    arshlevon - tried wiping your ass for 45 minutes at a time? It's crippling. ... probably

really, it wouldn't surprise me that 6 months of experience down the line we start to see less and less immersive games, the sort of thing you can/should play for hours straight without noticing the time (Zelda, certain FPS), making use of the controller like that. Or, at least, less people using the controller in the intended way. That makes way for more and more simple bite-size party games and things that are a blast in little chunks
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    did you also complain that the DS was gimmicky and stupid? did you also predict the DS would fail eventually and everyone would see how stupid it really is?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    sonic - no. Did you? Did you also stop a dog on the street and ask it the time before bouncing off into the sunset, or other irrelevant randomness like what you just asked of me?
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    haha, sorry about that. i read the posts wrong. my bad
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Danr i think what your saying about the Wii, is like critting women(in general) for not being able to lift as heavy weights or men for not being able to think about more than one thing at a time....

god thats a shit analagy, never mind....

the good thing about the Wii and what i think it will sell for is it is very different, does different shit, if you want to relax get your sony/ms out, if you have the energy of ten five year olds, beat someone to death with a stick

erm brain rot
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ... That makes way for more and more simple bite-size party games and things that are a blast in little chunks

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is the point of the Wii; it will be really fun to play fun stuff with your friends swinging the controllers around like crazy in bite-size chunks. I usually don't play games for more than an hour or two when it's a group of friends hanging out playing together.

Regardless, I think even if you are just playing the classic games using the Wii classic controller it makes it better than the Xbox 360 and PS3 :P
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Danr's whole point was that marathon gaming is highly unlikely on the Wii. You won't be able to sit there for 6 hrs playing Wii sports with your friends, because your arms will likely get drained well before then.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    I think if you're worried about how tiring it is going to get then you really need the exercise and i'm talking a lot more than some robust video gaming. smile.gif
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Has anyone seen the world Dance Dance Revolution championships? now that's hard work. It makes the Wii seem like lying at home sleeping.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    lying at home sleeping ? sounds like hardwork , they need to make a wireless remote for that...
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    it's not a body tiredness thing, it's joint/tendon/muscle thing ... even done 14 hours straight playing a PSP game that constantly uses the shoulder buttons? It took about 2 days for my index fingers to stop hurting, also right across the back of my hands.

Even with the wii controller resting on your lap with small wrist movements, that would be akin to having a 14 hour wank ... and we all know what that feels like, right kids? Even on a 3 or 4 hour sitting on an intense action game like CoD3, i really can imagine a good few people not really noticing it while they play, and then groaning with a crunch of bone and ping of tendon as they straighten up for the first time.

Just doesn't seem suited, that's all
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    the same thing can be said for guitar hero, and when i first started playing my hands would hurt, but thats cause your constantly doing the same exact thing and lo and behold after a few days of play i was fine and to this day GH dosent bother me at all and i can play for hours. and i havent seen any wii game demoed that even comes close to hand movements in GH.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, both guitarhero and ddr can be played with a regular controller, but do you even want to do that?

Now, people, is the time to actually use that strong arm you built up from years of fapping.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    danr, you keep comparing other movements to Wii movements that aren't really the same. I don't know how you do it, but playing with your wee and playing with your Wii isn't even remotely similar.

The PSP is another bad example, because it's a terribly designed system from an ergonomics standpoint. The shoulder buttons are horribly placed, the analog nub is brutal to use, and it's freaking heavy. I used one all summer, and yeah it sucks. The Wii is far more comfortable and lighter.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Actually I take back everything I said. The Wii is very deadly, indeed.