Home General Discussion

Resistence: Fall of Man

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
Anyone else seen the latest batch of screenies on this? Pretty disappointing, imo. Check out the road textures and barricades....

Gears of War is so far beyond this it's not funny. Hats off to Epic.

resistance-fall-of-man-20061019114921855.jpg

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that's very odd. Those textures all seem so low res. Deffinatly not an impressive screenie, though I'll wait till I see the game in action to make a sure decision.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i sense a trend with the 'next-gen'...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You know what tho - it's Insomniac. If the last few released of Ratchet & Clank are anything the game will be fun to play.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    agree on the next-gen-trend

the "oh shit, it's too slow!, drop the textures, we can't lose normalmapping!"
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like BF2 on medium detail IMO.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Looks like BF2 on medium detail IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty dang close, yeah. Nothing "next gen" about it.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    Hopefully the gameplay is next-gen. I think the design is interesting, an cool blend of traditional military elements and sci-fi stuff.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    gah is it my impression or is people putting the carriage infront of the horses ?if they arent confortable with next gen yet why make shitty stuff like this ?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    gah is it my impression or is people putting the carriage infront of the horses ?

[/ QUOTE ]

youre silly smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the lack of shadows is what is killing it. Shadows in areas you would expect to see shadows and not just the harshly sharp shadows under players. It really helps games if artists bake some shadows into their textures. Some artists and AD's get fooled into thinking the defuse needs to be devoid of all shadows normal maps and the engine will handle it all we need to do is apply the right photos to the right areas and forget about adding detail ourselves.

Painting a few shadows will not kill the performance of the game.
    Painting a few shadows will not alter the normal maps if you do it right.
    grrr I'm done with next gen toss the normal maps on the BBQ along with BLOooOMmMmm if you can't add them into your pipeline correctly. They shouldn't become your pipeline and a cop out for hiring talent. Take more than one page from Carmacks play book, don't just steal the normal maps but also take the "we hire good artists who can paint a decent defuse" page also.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    The cliche title is what scares me the most.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i really don't get analyzing still screenshots for how a game looks ... you've got to see these things moving, with the action kicking off all around. And then you've got to play it. Whats the problem with a low res texture if you never get the chance to look at it for more than half a second without getting your head blown off?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Whats the problem with a low res texture if you never get the chance to look at it for more than half a second without getting your head blown off?

[/ QUOTE ]

The same problem with low res textures in any other situation.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    You know what tho - it's Insomniac. If the last few released of Ratchet & Clank are anything the game will be fun to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree here with Adam. Probably because I work with a bunch of people from Insomniac. But I have no doubt that this game is worth the 9.1 review IGN gave it. Yeah, it doesn't look like Gears. But it's a launch game from a triple A developer. I'm really looking forward to it. Definately be picking it up when I get a PS3.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    The colour palette in this game makes Gears of War look like freaking Viva Pinata. Go go next-gen.

The weapon selection does seem really cool, and it does have 40 player online, but I can't get over how ridiculously uninspired the whole thing looks.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    gah is it my impression or is people putting the carriage infront of the horses ?if they arent confortable with next gen yet why make shitty stuff like this ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because everyone else is doing it. tongue.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think the lack of shadows is what is killing it. Shadows in areas you would expect to see shadows and not just the harshly sharp shadows under players. It really helps games if artists bake some shadows into their textures. Some artists and AD's get fooled into thinking the defuse needs to be devoid of all shadows normal maps and the engine will handle it all we need to do is apply the right photos to the right areas and forget about adding detail ourselves.

Painting a few shadows will not kill the performance of the game.
    Painting a few shadows will not alter the normal maps if you do it right.
    grrr I'm done with next gen toss the normal maps on the BBQ along with BLOooOMmMmm if you can't add them into your pipeline correctly. They shouldn't become your pipeline and a cop out for hiring talent. Take more than one page from Carmacks play book, don't just steal the normal maps but also take the "we hire good artists who can paint a decent defuse" page also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree strongly actually. Realtime lighting simply isn't where it needs to be yet to negate the need for putting light info into diffuse maps. It seems like a lot of devs think that with specular and normal, colour maps should remain just that, but I think they still need a little more. I think that's why a lot of next gen stuff is looking too clean and flat.
    By far my biggest disapointment with next gen consoles is probably in the lighting department. Realistic realtime lighting is still the next big frontier imo. Even GoW great looking though it is doesn't seem to have anything too sophisticated going on with its lighting and shadowing model. Self shadowing is only on the characters in cut scenes for instance, and turned off in game.

This screen isn't that bad really. I think partly we perceive it to look mediocre because of the Sony hype machine leading people to believe the PS3 was going to be something incredible, and it's really not. Remember that pc thread about the Killzone 'PS3' vid? People (including videogame devs) seriously believed that a pre-rendered movie with global illumination and procedural hair was in game footage. Of course now PS3 in game footage is starting to hit the websites they look like any other game.
    Hopefully this is fun to play at least. The review seems to suggest so.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    The Cell CPU that would change the games' world forever still impresses me each day....

bah! now that i've saved for the Wii will start doing it for the Xbox...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Setting: Resistance publisher meeting, pre-development
    Head publisher guy - "Alright you lot, you've sit here and come up with something new and amazing for the PS3. Something that'll wow the consumers and make them want to shell out thousands of dollars. Keep in mind that people are starting to get sick of the same old FPS games, post apocalyptic alien invasion settings and World War 2 games. We need something different."
    *Head guy leaves*
    Suit: "So, is a World War 2 FPS with aliens good for you guys? Great. Lets go to the pub."
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    come on, be fair! you post one of the worst looking screenshots of the game and base everything off of it.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748483/img_4060847.html
    http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748483/img_4060844.html
    http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748483/img_3945028.html
    http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748483/img_3915055.html

is there really that much of a difference between this and gears of war? sure the character design is much more fancy looking in gears of war, but it's a completely different style and setting. also, this game doesn't seem to have a bloom effect at all, unlike gears which uses it every chance it gets. i'm not arguing that GOW isn't beautiful, but look at this screenshot and tell me the last time you saw the side of a concrete building glow like it was made of gold:
    http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747891/img_4050853.html
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i really dont know what to believe anymore ( yeah i know ) its because some look really good while other look like crap , and theres no telling what is ingame , there is one with a shotgun and it has hud , so i really cant tell whats ingame and whats not. So far lately i really cant look at an image and say "the game will be like this"
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    in the future, gold is so common they mix it into concrete, just for a laugh.
    those other shots look pretty damn cool to me
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    i dunno about you but i like glowy concrete wals...
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    sonic >> Welcome to the world of target renders.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    It's sad that many people overlook this game just because Gears has better visuals..I mean come on, the game is fun from what most reviewers say. Isn't that enough?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know about other people, but I overlook it because it's on PS3. If it was on PC or 360 I'd probably be a lot more interested.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's sad that many people overlook this game just because Gears has better visuals..I mean come on, the game is fun from what most reviewers say. Isn't that enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, but being a launch title for a new system that is supposed to be so advanced with its cell processor thats been in development for like 10 years, of course its gonna be under a microscope and nerds all over are gonna be ripping it apart.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    and even smarter than you™!

They even had the game in the sony ad, by the way, showing how awesome the processor is. "Every Bullet is processed!" Wow, a straight line with an end. Pure Processing power!

I hope Killzone 2 rocks though wink.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Insomniac games are all about exciting gameplay, I'm sure it will play great. The Gears quality definitely raised the bar to what we expect in next-gen games.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    I don't know, that's a very poor screenshot to the judge the entire game from. I know their PS3 version of Ratchet and Clank was looking very pretty though.

118266967_a1fdb002a5_o.jpg
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    I definitely agree that gears of war has seriously raised the bar. I saw a commercial for the new rainbow six:las vegas game, and it looks exceptionally mediocre compared to gow. eld, i also agree that there seems to be a trend with the lower texture maps to keep the normal maps. Not every game can be awesome in every way though, and I imagine the gameplay will be fantastic on resistance.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Wow fmnoor I looked up the trailer for that game

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=231

Man that looks fucking awesome ..I loved the other games in the series . It's hard to believe all that is real-time it looks like coruscant !
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    seriously though, IGN is a piece of shit when it comes to screenshots. they are always overly compressed jpegs that look like they came from a crappy video source.

watch the high res version of the video titled "Attack the Titan", it looks fuckin sweet
    http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748483/vids_3.html
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    game definately looks better in motion..everything runs so smooth even during hectic fights
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    game looks fairly good to me in all the videos I've seen. Sure its not as good as gears of war, but then, i doubt we'll be seeing much of anything that is.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sonic, I'd have to agree now. Those HD videos look pretty damn good.
    I don't know about the screenshots I saw then - they look like they're from a 480p source. Entirely non-HD.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow... just played some Ressistance...

those ugly screenshots are pretty accurate I'm afraid...
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    yeah just cause they have videos of the game it doesnt mean they are running on actual hardware. the videos look better than the screenshots that probably came from actual in game footage.. but still why is everything brown??! the monster is brown the ground is brown the metal and gun even look like they are shades of brown.. aghhhhh this game would put me to sleep.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    The choice of the earthy brownish pallete is appropriate to the gritty war/time period they are trying to achieve, you can tell that they are using a lot of filters to have that almost grainy film look.. Kind of like SPR and Band of Brothers?

It's not like Kojima doesnt use his share of blue/green/brown filters throughout the game, yet he's considered an elite.

The game is action packed it seems so it looks like they had to tone down all the textures for it to run at a steady framerate, which isnt a big issue since overall it does look pretty with all them explosions everywhere ...

I find that the environments are design with a great attention to detail and carry a lot of atmosphere, i've only watched video reviews but i think we can safely say that it is a product with strong art.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    even sPR and band of brothers have more colour than that :P