Home General Discussion

Wii Cheap?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
The hell? I thought this thing was supposed to be cheap? I just got an email from Eb Games that said this:

"This Thursday evening (CST), November 9, your opportunity to get in on the excitement arrives when our Wii bundle becomes available for pre-order online at EBgames.com. You'll get the best games, accessories and more in one convenient package delivered right to your door - all for under $699 plus tax and handling!"

700 bucks?! Kind of disappointing if it's true, unless it comes with like 10 flippin games. :P

Replies

• fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Bundles come with games. This is probably like 7-10 games plus extra controllers.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    like those $3000 xbox360 bundles.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    the controllers are what are going to get you on the wii they are like 40 bucks, so if you want to get it with 2 controllers you looking at like 300 right there after tax i mean you can can get the low end 360 for that. then if you want a game, thats 350, there is the high end 360. but the wii is ment for family fun! so throw on another controller for pops and then one for mom! okay your looking at 450! we are approaching ps3 pricing! you still get more stuff, but yeah nintendo is going to make a fortune. i am just going to play them at my brother house cause he always gets all the consoles. wish my parents had money when i was kid.. yes i am bitter.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the controllers are what are going to get you on the wii they are like 40 bucks, so if you want to get it with 2 controllers you looking at like 300 right there after tax i mean you can can get the low end 360 for that. then if you want a game, thats 350, there is the high end 360. but the wii is ment for family fun! so throw on another controller for pops and then one for mom! okay your looking at 450! we are approaching ps3 pricing! you still get more stuff, but yeah nintendo is going to make a fortune. i am just going to play them at my brother house cause he always gets all the consoles. wish my parents had money when i was kid.. yes i am bitter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you need 5 controllers? I don't think the Wii supports that many.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i have no idea why you would need 5 i only stated 4 one second controller plus 2 for momo and dad.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I have 8 controllers for my wiily
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ten if you count your thumbs.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I'm a little disapointed that you have to buy game cube controllers to play game cube games on the Wii. The classic controller (or whatever it is called) will only play wii and virtual console games I hear. Not game cube games.

Additionally, I hope that with the announcement that Contra will be on Xbox Live...there might still be hope of seeing it on Wii Virtual Console. I hear Tetris might be too expensive to license for Virtual Console and may not make the lineup. (Virtual Console was a big selling point for me too)...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I hear Tetris might be too expensive to license for Virtual Console and may not make the lineup.

A bigger problem might be that the NES Tetris uses an outdated Tetris ruleset, I'm not sure they can get the Tetris license without conforming to the official rules (which include the hold piece and infinite spin).

Arsh: Let's not forget that Xbox 360 controllers run you 40$ as well, 50$ if you go wireless. A Wii plus a controller might cost as much as a 360 but then you've got a 360 that has one controller and not even a memory card.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    someone who played the wii told me the remote controller does not work very well with daylight. anyone who can back up this?

anyway, yes the wii is expensive - it's looks like it's just a gamecube-rehash (more or less same hardware running at a higher clockrate than the original gc).
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Haven't heard of that.
    I won't be using the wand much anyways. I'm sticking pretty much to the virtual console.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Wii + 3 remotes + wavebird = low-end 360 + second controller
    + 3 nunchucks + classic controller = high-end 360

4 player and virutal console VS 2 player

Doesn't seem like that bad of a deal to me. Chances are you don't need more than 2 nunchucks (except for Red Steel), and you don't even need a classic controller (wavebird handles it, which you can get it cheap second-hand and you might have one already), and the games are slightly cheaper, and you don't need to spend thousands of dollars on an HD TV ($3000 PS3 bundle, anyone?).

EB bundles are still a ripoff though.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    4 player and virutal console VS 2 player and xBox Live

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, had to fix that.

But yea, I suppose that after reading some of the replies it makes a bit more sense. Seems funny to me though that to really be able to use a Wii (I don't see the point in getting one if it's not for MP) you need to spend the same as you would for a 360 anyways.

Although you do have a good point acc, EB bundles do tend to be a bit rip-offy. Maybe somewhere else will be a bit more reasonable.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    the fact of the matter is, none of them are cheap.

heres another thing to think about for the console war. For xbox live you pay a monthly fee. That'll add up over time too im sure. ps3 doesnt have the fee at least.
  • Madcap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Madcap polycounter lvl 12
    I dont like the way the virtual console is region specific. The only games I would get are Japanese N64 games like Sin and Punishment, they might never be available to europe.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    The way I see it, why can't I take my wiiener controller to my friends to if we both have a wiiener?

Why does my said friend have to buy another controller to play together.

this isn't a show stopping bug here.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ten if you count your thumbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats why dogs don't whack off
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course they do, they just use their tongues. Which, to tell you the truth, is probably more than a fair trade-off.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The way I see it, why can't I take my wiiener controller to my friends to if we both have a wiiener?

Why does my said friend have to buy another controller to play together.

this isn't a show stopping bug here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't have too. there is a link button on the controller and one on the wii. you press both and you can use your controller on any wii. its the same with the 360.

http://wii.ign.com/launchguide/
    ^ wait for the console pic to load and hover over #2, it says there is a Synchro button on the front of the Wii and one on the Wiimote that will sync them together. they aren't locked to one system forever.

Also the Wii not working in the daylight rumor is not true. http://wii.ign.com/articles/738/738266p1.html
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The controller also has an amount of storage, I think it'll transfer your Mii and some settings with you if you bring your controller to your friend's.