Home General Discussion

more interview stuff

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
just got back from my interview in leamington spa.

Well it was a bit of a waste of train fare really

I felt pretty relaxed going in there, but it was just one of those interviews that kind of sucked from the start.
I actually spent more time chatting with the HR than the lead artist, which is never a good sign, as is not being shown around the office and meeting key staff.

I feel it was good practice though as I have another one on tuesday in nottingham which (touch wood) seems more promising.
A tip to anyone , never stay at 'premier travel inns' as they suck. 58 squid per night and you don't even get breakfast or evening meal included

Replies

• danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    nooo, premier travel inns are great, and enormously convenient. You always know what you're gonna get, and 58 quid is actually pretty good for a decent room in a town or city centre location
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    he he. I wish I had checked out the food thing though. hmm at 12 midnight approx, the fire alarm went off and we were all evacuated in to the cold night air for around 30 mins.
    Around 2 am in the morning when I was drunk/sleeping they knocked on my door to apologise for the fire alarm.
    WTF? they could have waited until the morning.

yeah I nicked all the sugar/coffee when I left. Had to get something for my money
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    good luck with it ruz man !

P.S - happened the same with me with the fire alarm, but when i went into the cold air i had my braccers apparatus that made me look like a freak of nature...
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    as i say, you know what you get. the nightly fire alarm is all part of the fun.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    true, but if looks could kill they would all be dead:)

cheers johnny. seems this is my last chance of a job until after christmas
    what is 'braccers apparatus'?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    what, you had to pay for the travel expenses yourself? that is not a good sign, especially for a company the size and standing we're probably talking about here (or is there more than one in leamington spa?).

my experience with interviews is that no single job worked out where i was shown around the office on the interview day. mind you, at my current employer it takes half a day to be shown around the place anyway... i'm still getting lost here in the corridors sometimes. wink.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah there are loads of companies in leamington.I used to work at 'Blitz Games' there.

It was n't codemasters BTW, they didn't even get back to me he he

yeah no interview expenses, no relocation package etc . In fact I would have had to pay them to let me work there
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, Blitz/Volatile and Codies are the only ones I know of in Leamington Spa, I'll have to check into others since it's not far from here.

Doubt I'll apply to codies again, they called me for a second interview, so I went down from middlesbrough, and back the day after (costing me about £45 in petrol alone) for a job they were never going to give me anyway. They told someone else from my uni that they weren't taking masters students because the course finished in september and they were looking for people to start around June.

Hope you have better luck in the future.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i see. they are probably all codie-spin-off's? anyway, nottingham - don't forget to wear a kevlar vest there if you intend to explore it by night. wink.gif

good luck!
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I have a bunch of friends at Eurocom (stable but not great work) and Free Radical (consistantly knocking out fps' for the console market. Both are worth considering smile.gif especially Free Radical since they are making starwars battlefront <- fun laugh.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    We just gained an (awesome) programmer from Free Radical.
    There are a bunch of talented artists working at Eurocom too (Matt Dixon and Aly Fell from ConceptArt.org spring to mind - or at least they used to work there).
    Good luck with the job wherever it was!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers MOP, I am hoping this interview is more positive, but its always on the day as you know.Yeah free Radical could be a possibility. One of the swordfish guys just left there . He is pretty damn good too

spacemonkey - we got a couple of guys from your old place working at swordfish now. Designers i think

Lupus - I will PM you
    thomasp - I will be heading straight home after. I had heard about nottinghams rep, but there again it depends which part you choose to live in.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Ruz.. Chris G, Ed and some other guy.. I cant remember his name wink.gif The guys who went to swordfish are not the nicest people you could work with..
    You could always move to canada.. lots of places are recruiting, just depends how comfortable you are from being far away from home!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    The guys who went to swordfish are not the nicest people you could work with..

ha ha no comment. They seemed a bit moody but TBH I never really dealt with them much. They just sat around making sceret designery plans:)
    yeah I feel moving to canada is a big risk for me, cause if i went there and it didn't work out for me like at frontier then i would be a bit screwed:)
  • Leech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leech polycounter lvl 18
    Wow are things that bad in the UK companies don't pay travel expenses on interviews? I've never heard of that.

Good luck man.