Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

warbys website pimp

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
warby polycounter lvl 18
www.warby.de

i repainted/recolored all the interface pieces and tried to cholden it up a bit by adding desired occupation contact info inyourface artwork and a cv link to the front page

also i cleand out alot of old images i wasn't satisfied with

the back end is also alot more effcient and clean now thanks to riviera for a lot of help

what do you guys think ?

(all lowercase text is on propose ^^ i call for a revolution against caps)

also who ever wants to get added to the friends drop me a line ( i am looking at your scottish ^^)

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Love the front page design.

Love the weapon model+textures. What resolution are they? they're huge! You scale them down when you attach them to the models?

You have a lot of very nice work from what I can see, the ?terminator eye looks washed out or photo-sourced I dont know what it is exactly.

That's about it I skimed through it only checking out what my eyes where drawn to. Thumbs up from me thumbup.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    seen your work before, really nice.
    i wish i wouldn't have to fish out the goods though, there're a couple i'd take out.
    this for instance is a majorz hax0rz, let's just pretend you didn't do it okay?
    http://riviera.heaven.nexusirc.at/warby/3dart/06$psychotoxic/weapon_udder_gun.jpg

your femmie chicks have a bang'n form btw... who's your reference? wink.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the site, the work is great! I laughed when I saw the teddy bear and praying mantis, I totally forgot about the random idea generator site. I should bust out a few of those myself to get back into the swing of doing personal work again.
    I would caution you against using some of the pin-ups, it could exclude you from certain jobs but on the other hand it might land you others. Remember not all companies are male dominated and not all HR portfolio screener are horny pre-teens. Its a tough call but I would axe a few of the more racy ones. You would still have plenty of very sexy paintings without the very obvious "chick rubbin' it raw" material.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    cool stuff, random question what 3d package do you use for your half life stuff?

greg
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    There's a lot of good work in there. shotgun's understating the point however when he says you have to fish for some of the good stuff. The big problem is fighting against the impulse to preserve old work while showcasing the new stuff--the two goals are at odds, especially in the context of a portfolio.
    There are different guiding philosophies on putting a portfolio together, but I think it's very safe to say that you need to do a whole lot of cutting. Doesn't mean you need to just throw out the old stuff; but you need to push aside the work that no longer represents your skill level to let the good stuff shine.
    I'd strongly recommend making an out-of-the-way link that won't be mistaken for your main portfolio and call it "old portfolio" or some such, and put all your older work there.

Every piece in your portfolio says something about you to a potential employer. Plus, the person looking at your portfolio is not going to give you very long to prove your worth. So what happens when the first couple of pieces that the person clicks on are some of your old, non-representative works? That mouse cursor is going to make a beeline for the red 'X' in the righthand corner of the screen, sad to say.

So yes, my advice is to take a good hard look at every piece and really ask yourself, "does this piece represent me giving my very best?" I think you'll find many of them do not, and so should go in the "museum" of older work, not the portfolio. That's a good thing. Always judged on your weakest piece, as they say. At the Austin CA.org meetup, one of the art leads from Bioware said that he always looked for the weakest piece in any portfolio, because that's what he expected that person to give when they were under the gun, under real working condition.
    And while you've got some really tasty pieces, there is also plenty of amateurish fanboy territory, mostly in the 2D section.

Here's my blow by blow shakedown, brace for impact smile.gif

-front page is pretty sweet looking, but keeping us from the goods. Unless you're trying to pimp your abilities as an interface graphics type guy, what purpose is it serving? The two small map thumbnails on it are both dead links.
    And what's going on with the "Allies" list? Just a list of companies to piss off your future employer when they're not one of the companies listed? CV link is buried. Top of main menu should have your name and contact info far more prominently displayed. Remember, your site is for the perusal of a very jaded, bored, and patienceless kind of person. Design accordingly!

-level design looks like your strongest and best presented section. I would probably move most of, if not all of the half-life segment to the museum, though.

-2D art needs the strongest pruning and shuffling off to the museum. Why delineate seperate segments for UT2k3 and 2k4? Get rid of the weakest of those groups and present them together as UT2k3/4 textures.
    Prune the traditional art heavily. Send the Jean Reno piece to the museum, it's not nearly a strong enough likeness to make it a showpiece. Swap that Meryl sketch out, too. Again, prune anything that doesn't represent your best work. Be ruthless. You're cleaning house for the arrival of royalty, appearance is everything smile.gif
    In the speedpainting section, I agree with Vig, but feel more strongly. Move all of the pinups into a more personal area of your site; most of them just don't belong in a professional portfolio. All of them have way too strong of a fanboy/personal fantasy vibe.
    MAYBE you should keep one or two from the Meryl section, but probably not. It paints the wrong picture of you as an artist: you've clearly put a whole lot more time into pinups of this girl, many with heavy bondage/fetish overtones, than you have into most of the sketches in the traditional segment. So I would strongly advise Meryl moving out of this part of your site... she could definitely cost you a few job offers. Your 3D girlies are more impressive and are far less damning than the pinups.
    The misc section serves no purpose in a professional portfolio. Move it to the museum.

-3D section is a lot better than your 2D, I'd move this section to below the leveldesign button. This segment doesn't need heavy trimming, just cutting out some of the pieces that you know no longer represent your quality level.

Whew! okay, didn't mean to take that long, but I guess I'm a chatty Cathy this afternoon. My big point is that the making of strong portfolio means making some tough calls, casting a critical, objective-as-you-can eye on your own work. It's tough, but really rewarding once you've cleaned everything up and have the good stuff to show. Hope this helps.
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    i agree with gauss. trim things down a bit, and if you really dont want to get rid of your older stuff then atleast create an archive section or something similar to your wip folder where you just dump that stuff in smile.gif nice update to the page grafics tho.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i thank all of you guys the museum section sounds like an excellent idea ill also add a more UNMISSUNDERSTADABLE contact button on the very top
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    I can just second gauss.

The stuff you did for psychotoxic and project timeless is a rough assortment of dodge and burn to hell weapons, most of them years old and outdated. Away!

Oscar, ceguard, meryl, go...

What bugs me the most is, that the overall presentation lacks on polish, starting from your CV where I can find your favourite game franchises but cant see how long your worked at WMi. I guess while its not a bad idea to write some stuff about yourself and preferences, a potential employer is more interested in your work relationships and your abilties / duties you had at the previous companies.

The whole site feels like an ego show off where you want to show YOUR stuff instead of offering you for a company to work for. A lot of stuff, and as said before, hard to pick the real good ones out of this mixed bag.

Some overall polish, sorting and some thoughts about your presentation can make this folio look really good.

that just my two cents.

What did you do on HeroesV btw?
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    I have to echo alot of what the guys are saying warby, some good stuff in there amongst so so work. Also, you have links to Epic/Valve so on on your front page, did you do work for them directly?, or just mod work using there engine?

Spark
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    valve directly ... the epic credit is there because i contributed 3 maps to the officialy endorsed comunnity bonus pack also david spalinski one of epics leveldesigners gave me a unfinished ut2k4 map to finish / polish (i also made it all custom content ^^)
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I can just second gauss.

The stuff you did for psychotoxic and project timeless is a rough assortment of dodge and burn to hell weapons, most of them years old and outdated. Away!

[/ QUOTE ]

will do its on my to do list ( the museum section that is )

[ QUOTE ]
    What bugs me the most is, that the overall presentation lacks on polish, starting from your CV where I can find your favourite game franchises but cant see how long your worked at WMi. I guess while its not a bad idea to write some stuff about yourself and preferences, a potential employer is more interested in your work relationships and your abilties / duties you had at the previous companies.

[/ QUOTE ]
    funny that you mention that because the wmi guys said they hired me because of the games and movies i listed ... since it was perfect ahead of time proof that i fit into the office ^^

[ QUOTE ]

Some overall polish, sorting and some thoughts about your presentation can make this folio look really good.

that just my two cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks

[ QUOTE ]
    What did you do on HeroesV btw?

[/ QUOTE ]

i helped you get the golem guy working in maya don't you remember ? after the max export it lost all its normals/smoothing and most of the uvs were broken also i untriangulated it and optimized the polycount a tiny bit ^^ back than you didn't tell me what it was for it was kind of a cloak and dagger action but when you showed your 2006 work-sheet it had the golem guy on there and scott duquette told me it was from homamv that he recently boughed/played ....thats why i added it
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    hahahaah cool, thanks you for that retro-moment!
    Yeah I do remember... Maya, what a headache at this time and my first gig hahahahahaha!

However, as I said, its not bad, but you should sort that somehow, thats additional info.
    I was also asked at R*V what games I like and so on, but they essentially hired me by my folio and work epxerience...

Also, keep in mind its still WMi vs. GamesIndustry not WMi = Games Industry wink.gif
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    true ture iam brainstorming rigth now how to plug time and specific-taks in there everywhere