Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

One of my Portfolio Pieces

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Marisa polycounter lvl 17
This is my Taj Mahal I just finished!! I'm so proud of it. Yay! If you want to see more of my portfolio, go to: www.marisa3d.com

tajMahal.jpg

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i saw that on prison break ! nice job eheh...
  • Pedro Amorim
    [ QUOTE ]
    i saw that on prison break ! nice job eheh...

[/ QUOTE ]

lolol. me too.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I just looked at hi-res version of this on your site and noticed some texture seaming issues on the towers.
    What was your overall polycount and could we get a few wiresshots?
    Did you make this for the sake of making it, or is it meant to be an in game set-piece?

-caseyjones
  • Marisa
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not really familiar with prison break, i've only seen one episode of it.
  • Marisa
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my wireframe, I did it for the sake of making it but I did get graded for it in my portfolio class. It is normal mapped but I was't planning on putting it in game. The polycount is ok but I can definetly take some polys out on the spikes on the top of the domes.

TajMahalWire.jpg

TajMahalWire2.jpg
  • Cybroxide
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    looks freaking sweet! Really Nice work.
  • mvelasquez
    nice level of detail. i bet you're ready to graduate:)
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Get some stronger directional lighting in there to show off the detail in your beauty render. It's looking waaay too flat at the moment.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    There are a lot of poly flow/build issues in the model.
    Then again, it's hard to tell what this is for. Is it meant to be a game asset? If so, there's a LOT of optimizations that could/should be done. If it's a CG model piece, you could have used a heck of a lot more polygonal detail.
  • Electro
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 19
    If it's for a game, then you'll want to lose the t-junctions so the vert lighting is done correctly... even if it's a per-pixel based lighting solution, you'll still want to do the fixes to reduce the polygon count and seal the model anyway.

Namely the sections above the windows, those verts should all be welded into the corners. This way the vert lighting will match from the top of the window to the structure, otherwise it's going to look a little weird (not to mention light can (and will) bleed through into unwanted areas.

The cylinder caps (the tops of the segments on the towers) need to be manually triangulated. Don't rely on an exporter to fix your problems, you will most likely end up with all the polys mashing into 1 vert instead of nice horizontal strips. Alternatively you can add a vert into the middle and triangulate them in a pizza slice fashion.

Not sure what your texture resolution details are... but if you could put some dirt or whatever into it, it'd really help with the realism. smile.gif
  • Marisa
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I want to thank you guys for the helpful suggestions. I'm never going to put this building in-game but I do want to make it look like it can go in-game, so I'm going to work at the issues that were pointed out.

Again, thank you for everything.