Home General Discussion

Looking for tips for mononucleosis...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sonic polycounter lvl 18
hey guys, I got hit with mono this last friday and I feel like I'm dying. I have a mega severe sore throat and it's difficult to even eat ice cream or soup or drink ice water. Besides that my fever is like 102.5+ and I randomly get really cold or really hot. I haven't slept much since and when I do sleep it doesn't last long. the worst part by far is the sore throat, because I can control the fever/chills by taking 400-600 mg of ibuprofen every 4-6 hours. Do you guys have any tips on anything I could do to relieve the sore throat or anything else? I've already had to miss work/college and I told everyone I'd probably be out for at least a week or two, do you have any idea how long it'll really be? Thanks a bunch

Replies

• Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Emergen C, three packets in a glass, the best flavor is the tangerine one because you can add some real OJ into it. Drink two to three glasses of that a day and your body will start winning the fight.

http://www.alacer.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch.e...returntitle.htm

http://www.alacer.com/

Its good shit and for a box its only $10~$15 You can get it at fred meyer in the whole foods section.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Gargling salt water might help. I don't know.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    you are lucky, i got it at 9 and it added vomiting hourly smile.gif good luck man , i missed two months school thou...for throat get "drill" red pills in squashed cilinder shape, they really anestetyse the throat.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    go buy some chloraseptic (topical anesthetic spray) from your local drug store. Usually comes in a spray bottle... won't get rid of the all the pain but definitely takes the edge off. Also, if you have a physician you go to, see if you can get some vicodin or another prescription painkiller, since it sounds like you definitely have a legitimate need. I don't know anything about mono really... does it just go away eventually or do you take antibiotics or?
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I was just too tired to do anything when I got Mono.

I had just gotten Pikmin and my friend decided the best course of action was to come over while I was sleeping and play it (my roommate didn't mind) and I would wake up periodically long enough to question why he was there.

He woke me up when he was about to beat the game so he could show me.

So I coped with Mono by having my shitheel best friend spoil my new game.

I never had much of a fever, but I did have a sore throat - I just didn't attempt to eat at all, and only drank room temperature water.

Oh, and my doc gave me Tylenol with Codeine, and a nausea suppresant because Codeine makes me vomit like crazy (does for a lot of people actually).

Hit up your doc for some pain killers ASAP.

I was out for 3 weeks, then was "better" for one week (couldn't get more than 2 hours of sleep super hyped up all the time) and then relapsed for another 5 weeks by just being super sleepy. I would drink about 3 energy drinks a day (Red Bull, Amp, Sobe Adrenaline, whatever the corner store at the dorms was carrying) and only be awake about 10 hours a day.

It eventually passes but it sucks righteous shit.

I'm assuming you've seen a doctor already but you really should go back and get scripts for painkillers if it's bothering you. That's what he's there for.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    TGZ: awesome, I'll take a look at that. I already take some vitamins along with some other supplements, but I'm always lookin for something good. thanks

neo_god: thanks, but I already tried that the first day along with cough drops, chloraseptic spray, and cough syrup and not a single thing had any effect whatsoever. i guess my throat just sucks that bad.

johnny: thanks, but I don't really know what you said tongue.gif

ferg: look at my response to neo_god. mono is a virus (a virus is unaffected by antibiotics) that lasts about a month with symptoms remaining for up to 6 months or so.

ghost: sounds like you had a similarly shitty experience as me frown.gif i've been forcing myself to drink ice water and eat ramen/ice cream/pudding/jello even though it feels like i'm swallowing a medieval weapon. i was taking my prescription motrin 800 that I was prescribed when I last broke my arm, but I'll be out soon. fortunately, 4 over-the-counter motrin is almost the same thing as prescription motrin 800, they just love to rip people off. i do wish I had some vicodin (it may be what you're thinking about), because that shit works wonders for pain.

thanks for the comments, I'm just going to force myself to drink plenty of water, eat a decent amount of food, and take my vitamins/medicine. hopefully I won't get fired or have to drop any of my classes frown.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

He woke me up when he was about to beat the game so he could show me.

So I coped with Mono by having my shitheel best friend spoil my new game.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaahahaha, awesome
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    sonic, talked to my girlfriend about it and well there is no getting around it, you have to go to the doctor. They should give you antibiotic for it, if they don't ask why not. If you don't youl be out for over a month, if you get the antibiotics it can drop that to two weeks.