Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Your Portfolio Repels Jobs.

A lot of great info there on what to do for your portfolio site.

I also question why you are showing someone else's concept work in your 3D section? If you are showing it as a comparison for concept / model, put it on the same page as your model and <u>clearly</u> mark that it is not your work.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Well, as you reference, I think your presentation and overall design could use a work over.
    *The flash based menu is doing nothing for your design... if anything it seems unimaginitive IMO (if you are trying to appear different for employers).
    *You misspelt projects under your 'New Info'.
    *I'm not sure why you have samples in your new info that isn't part of your other portfolios
    *When your 2D and 3D pages first load, one of your pieces should appear in the box. The thumbnails seem a little small also.

Didn't you have more work than this? I thought I recalled you having done more work relating to Joust3D. Just curious why you didn't include it if you do smile.gif
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    stay away from sound on your webpage...
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    fix the spelling mistakes on your webpage...
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its Fixed!
    How bout now?! Hopefully better!

Thanx astro, I read through that blog pretty good information there.

This time I kept it very simple.
    Will put more up just wanted to show it off...

Halloween style wink.gif. Happy halloween Big Green.
    No sounds, no extra mumbo jumbo!
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    what resolution are u working for?
    My monitor is set to 1024x768 and the site dont fits, expand and create a slide bar. U could fix that or put a warning to the best resolution to see the site.

BTW: very nice models u have there smile.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huge improvement. My only suggestion would be to make a standard sized box that they all have to fit into. There was one or two samples in your portfolio that caused the selection menu to jump to the left.

Good Job though smile.gif
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    less exlamation marks...
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Make it clear what position you are going for . You have environment work and characters on that page and weapons . You need to concentrate on one or the other and become really good at one of them . Also you need High resolution work on there . Most companies are doing Next-gen games and so you'll need to show you can do Normal Mapped models .

That tennis player model is sub-par the rest of your work I would take it off of there .

• AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I think this is a big improvement but I agree that you should try and use a standard, consistant image size.

I also personally find some of your images to be a bit cluttered. This one in particular:

darkknight_profile.jpg

Maybe in the images where you are showing the concepts it would look better to have the concept art in the corner of the image with an outline around it to seperate it out from the shots of the model?

Personally I think you should cull the low poly art test characters as well as those are not nearly as strong as the rest of the work in your portfolio (IMO).
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    It's a clean and concise website, but I'd echo others' concerns about presentation. When presenting a model with so many different views plus the concept art in the background all at once, the effect is dulling, when we should be focusing on your m4d polygon sk1llz. If you've got more work than can comfortably fit into one picture, please either strip out the miscellaneous details or just save out the alternate views etc. into a second image. Other than that, it's all laid out nice and clean and all in full view, nice work.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

notman:
    Thanks for mentioning the Joust3D models, How'd you rememeber that? Too bad the sites down from what I see, still wish it would have been completed. Oh well one of the many disappointments in the game industry journey, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an old Atari 2600 owner wink.gif I loved Joust and loved what you guys were doing with it. I must have missed that it was cancelled (or forgot). Too bad. I was wondering what was coming of it
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    those dips are showing up because your cage / reference mesh is too low poly.

when you process your normal map, meshsmooth your low poly mesh 2 or 4 times (the reference mesh to the highpoly). That way, you wont get as many of those funny "dips" you got in your normal map. You can either nuke those meshsmooths or just take a duplication of your old low poly and apply the material that way.

Another way to fix it would be to go in and single pixel stretch areas in photoshop. Be careful though, as it could end up making the low poly look low poly.

In your normal, you can make the deeps really pop by going into the blue channel and using levels to darken up the values. This will make the 'shadow' areas appear darker, giving elements a deeper feel.

For texturing Normal maped meshes, do not forget your specular, or even textural info in the diffuse. It doesn't have to be noisy or super gritty and fucked up, but spending the extra time to go in, add some additional textural information, complementing it in the normal map, and specular, will make the texture shine.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    I think cage tweaks could help too, like poop explained on this picture.
    Nice site, I like the clean and to the point presentation.