Home General Discussion

Halo movie canned

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
Better to not do it all than to not do the franchise justice, but its rather sad nonetheless.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30560

Replies

• Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    WTF? why on earth wouldn't studios line up to get this movie made. Its one of a few titles that could bring in the titanic/starwars money. The studios are morons to walk away from something that could make them so much money.
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    oh yes, ofcourse, master chief is such an astounding character and would easily be transferable to film....making a movie of halo would be like making a movie of Doom..oh..wait...
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know what your smokin but halo has more than enough character and plot surrounding it to make a movie off of. There are books about halo, so id say there is a bit more there than doom.

also unlike doom, halo has a rabid fan base, the 2.4 million copies sold on its release points out that. I see halo and i see lots and lots of easy money to be made. All they would have to do is follow the halo story and universe and the money would keep rolling in.

There is just as much back story to halo as there is to batman, and superman. It doesn't take much to make a character that people will love and root for. And the rabidness of the halo fans make me think that its got it.
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like somebody is a fanboy...

ANd what character development are you talking about? I havent seen any in any of the games!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    oh yes, ofcourse, master chief is such an astounding character and would easily be transferable to film....making a movie of halo would be like making a movie of Doom..oh..wait...

[/ QUOTE ]
    LOL, agreed!

-caseyjones
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spooooooon!!!!

Nah i bought it but had my roommates beat the game while i watched. So i basically just watched the story and didn't have to worry about the dieing part... nice that way. I only play 12 man lan party's of halo. Its more of a poker night like thing, but instead of poker its halo.

but anyway halo just looks like a good fit for it to be made into a movie, and its got lots of fans.
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    halo has just as much back story as batman and superman? did half a century of literature just get wiped off the surface of the earth? doh!now you made me feel like the comic book store guy-- frown.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    LOL! "Literature." Good one laugh.gif.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    why not make a movie of ringworld instead? much more interesting.

you could write the story to halo on a matchbox
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    its 2006 and comics dont count as literature?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    I think you misunderstood me, I was referring to keyser sozes remark smile.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Comics don't classify as literature? SINCE FUCKING WHEN!
    hawken: May have to pick that one up sometime soon.

-caseyjones
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    use the quote button buddy! smile.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, does McDonalds count as cuisine?
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    didnt anyone see my questionmark?:) I was saying that comics should be counted as literature:)

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, does McDonalds count as cuisine?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the folly of man.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screw 5 page long badly drawn comics that cost $5.

I often buy Japanese comics, cost about $3, built like telephone directories and weekly!
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    There were novels based on Doom, too. I remember reading one of them when I was a teenager. It sucked. And back in the day Doom had a huge fanbase as well.

In summary, a Halo movie would've sucked as much as all the movies based on games have. tongue.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The guys with the money said "We want a love interest!" and "We want the Master Chief to take his helmet off after the introduction so people can see Sylvester Stallone!", Bungie said "That's not Halo, we aren't doing that" and the funders withdrew.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why wouldn't Halo be made into a movie?

Studios finally held the halo plot up to the harsh light of day and found they could see right through it.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    From what I've heard MS wants a bigass cut of the profits, too big for the studios to live with. The trouble with having a known money-maker is everyone wants a big piece of it.

Frank the Avenger
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I think Halo is only that popular because its on console, its a mediocre shooter really. I tried to play it on pc and well it sucked hard.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It's not canceled, it's in a minor limbo. They are trying to iron out the financials again, as well as bringing in another writer to tweak the script.

And the reason studios aren't "lining up" to make this is the price tag. Due to Microsoft's demands on the project, the movie has a price tag of about $325 million. That's pretty freakin expensive for a movie.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]
    WTF? why on earth wouldn't studios line up to get this movie made. Its one of a few titles that could bring in the titanic/starwars money. The studios are morons to walk away from something that could make them so much money.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, i could be at the risk of sounding *hopelessly naive here ... but would it really be a bumpain for the studios to come up with a new concept that sparks the collective public's imagination in a fresh and wide-reaching way, rather than relying on yet another bloody fucking franchise that only a very VERY small percentage of the population give one single solitary shit about to start with
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    only a very VERY small percentage of the population give one single solitary shit about to start with

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, it's the game that got Joe six pack having lan parties
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MS wanting something like 10% of the profits doesn't sound insane to me. It really doesn't matter if you think the game play is mehh, the average joe that loves action movies loves this game. So an action movie based on halo would do very well in the box office.

Why it needs to be a super budget movie i don't know. I also wonder if people don't want to fund this movie because they know they would get to own anything of it once its out. All they would get is the money from the tickets and the dvd's. They wouldn't own the rites to make more halo movies that would still be MS's. That alone might be why everyone refuses to back this movie.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's not all bad news, we're getting a new Street Fighter movie! yay!
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's not all bad news, we're getting a new Street Fighter movie! yay!

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG no. I'd almost completely forgotten the first one. Why'd you have to bring all those horrible memories flooding back? WHY?!?!?! mad.gif At least the Street Fighter anime movie was good.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    good job ring world is a book then. Read it.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/057507339X/ref=pd_rvi_gw_1/102-3888830-7988916

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

-caseyjones

[/ QUOTE ]

Why you've already played it...
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    eheh i cant also see whats so special about halo, played 1 and two and frankly the story was very insipid and felt cliche in some parts...Anyway i cant argue with the billions of fans as they would impale me eheh.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Well you could ride vehicles...right? Other than that i dunno.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    good job ring world is a book then. Read it.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/057507339X/ref=pd_rvi_gw_1/102-3888830-7988916

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

-caseyjones

[/ QUOTE ]

Why you've already played it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn I've read Niven's Ringworld long time ago, had no clue it's turned into a game. Will have to check it out then.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    eheh i cant also see whats so special about halo, played 1 and two and frankly the story was very insipid and felt cliche in some parts...Anyway i cant argue with the billions of fans as they would impale me eheh.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe just think about how cool it would be to have an 80's esk halo movie but with the CG we have now. No romance, just action and shit blowing up at an epic scale. Thats what i was hoping for. Basically another 5th element but with a halo skin.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    WHOA! Slow down there fog and vig. Halo is in NO WAY like the book ringworld. even the dimensions of the ring are different. Frankly Ringworld is a far better topic for a movie, and could make a decent RPG. I think a Halo movie could work, however it would have to be carefully done. I would hate to see a "starship troopers" like incident of a film.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its fair to say that Halo is derivative work of ring world, its obviously a huge influence at the very least. Big ring that acts like a planet, people crashing on it, umm aliens involved... err stuff... ok your right but come on giant ring that sustains life that throws up flags. If the one lady can sue Sony about Underworld then someone can get their panties in a bunch about Halo?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's a toss up really.

I guess bungie could say they were inspired from Iain M Banks also, who invented "orbitals", which is what Halo is. Although with Ringworld being a far more popular concept, I guess people (including myself) would associate Halo and Ringworld more closely.

There were plans for a Film of Ringworld in 2001 with James Cameron directing. For whatever reason they decided to can it, I'm sure it would rear it's head if Halo the movie was confirmed. Considering that Halo has almost no story, it might well just fall flat on it's face.

The Covenant are basically "Predators", the Humans are "starship troopers". The Flood are something from a crappy b-movie and the "wipe out all sentient life in the universe" device is hardly a on the edge or your seat threat.

Ringworld however, ooo! thats a book smile.gif