Home Technical Talk

Completely f*cking batshit insane maya 8 problem

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
In a nutshell: Im modeling away and at some point my hotkey assignments literally change on the fly. Pressing 'W' changes from selecting the move tool to 'undo'. Re-starting maya resets it. It happens very often but I can't seem to nail down precisely which action causes it and nothing in the script window is providing any clues.

Nobody else here is having the issue. I've tried deleting various prefs, re-installing, all sorts of crap to no avail. I'm pretty much at my wits end so any help muchos appreciated.

Replies

• SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Punch the monitor and let out all that furstration!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I did that already dood! Next logical step is monitor out the fucking window. After that someones gonna get hurt!!1
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    as long it isnt me ! ill have to use maya in some months....the thought of having to deal with that...
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Same shit happens here in maya 7. Also same thing happens to me in Photoshop. I still have no idea what the shit it is. Ctrl-s = exit is brilliant.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    That's shit but interesting Dur. What's even more interesting is that after the key assignment change has occured, within the hotkey editor pressing 'W' on the keyboard maya reveals as the 'Z' key. So Maya 'thinks' Im pressing Z, even though Im pressing W, so it makes me wonder If this isn't actually some kind of funky windows thing. Fuck, I dunno, wtf.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Curioser and curioser. if I type 'QWERTY' into the maya hotkey editor after the key assignment has fucked up, it types 'AZERTY'. Isn't that the European keyboard layout or something?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hm...no...european is qwerty , azerty i think is oriental i remember to see that in a lame program called "pc4 u" eons ago.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    "The AZERTY layout is a keyboard layout used in France, Belgium and some neighbouring countries."

That's a really weird problem to have. It's possible that there's a hotkey set up for switching region settings.

...or someone might be messing with you.

EDIT: try looking around in Control Panel > Region and Language Options > Languages tab > Details, and see if something is janked in there.

EDIT EDIT: in that dialog, look in Key Settings, there's probably a hotkey setup to switch regions. It was probably switching whenever you hit left-alt + shift. You can just remove whatever extra region has been added.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, yes, the good ol' Windows Language settings... they've tripped me up a number of times, I still don't know why they're all set by default on a fresh install of WinXP - it's always the first thing I make sure is disabled when I get a new install to work with.
    That, plus all the "sticky keys" and that crap where if you press Shift 5 times or hold it down for 10 seconds, it enables all sorts of odd keyboard settings...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Daz, its a famous problem me and my schoolmates had to deal with at school.

You should check if you have a blue icon in the lower-right of your screen, with 'EN' written in it. It's an option allowing localized keyboard mapping switching, but unfortunately enough its shortcut is also being used by photoshop. On our computers the keyboard mapping was constantly switching from FR to EN, causing serious problems on undo, since it caused a ctrl-W.

If you right click that annoying blue icon there should be an option to lock the mapping to whatever fits, and also something to prevent an unintentional switch.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Damn that sucks Daz, but it can always be worst. At least those freaking default settings didn't make you look bad at a presentation. XP by default makes the middle mouse button be the back button, I did not know that since I still use Win 2000. I start to show off my work and get asked to rotate a model in the viewport and Bingo... It was pretty sad, sad indeed. wink.gif I guess now I have more experience. It's good to know about that XP crap, thanks for posting this.

Alex
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn sticky keys I really want the kneecaps of whoever thought it was a good idea to include it in windows. Its the second thing I disable on a fresh install.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    and the first? smile.gif
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    my first would be system restore..