Home General Discussion

Halloween Treats. Alternative Ideas

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Other than falling back on quarters which I remember from a kid as being more annoying as I wanted to munch something right away.

What can I hand out to treat or treaters that isn't filled with unatural crap? Carbohydrates are fine, but not this synthetic stuff. No, I don't have the equipment to bake/create my own.

Anyone suggesting fruit will be shot on site.

I'd rather not hand out cheap cheesy plastic toys made in china.

I was thinking of scouring the comic book section of Half Price Books for issues that initially cost a 1.00. But that wont satisfy younger kids and some girls.

Replies

• KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Oh jesus, don't be one of "those" people. I know HFCS and all that other crap in candy bars is bad... but come on, it's Halloween, man. Let the parents decide if they want their kids eating diabetes-inducing candy from a complete stranger, that's not for you to worry about. Besides, you don't want kids to egg your house, do you?
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    hah, the only people coming to my house for halloween are fellow track athletes, or upcoming athletes I help train, so I'm handing out shot blocks ( http://www.clifbar.com/eat/shot_blok.cfm?location=shot ).... I wouldn't really suggest handing these out to little kids, as they are 1. Expensive and 2. Pretty damn bitter if you havn't had some recent good hard exercise.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    You're gonna get egged for this.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    just buy the cheapest crap you can find. no one cares.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You damn kids! If I catch you!..

Seriously though, you dont think comic books is a step in the right direction?
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, comic books would be cool, but not really for everyone. Candy, on the other hand, is for everyone.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Halloween just isn't the same if you don't see the look on a kids face when they bit into a caramel covered onion.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Halloween just isn't the same if you don't see the look on a kids face when they bit into a caramel covered onion.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol omg i need to try that. As for what to give nothing beats the instant gratification of sweet sweet candy.

Give em candy,candy is natural,comes from the earth.

i vote candy.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    halloween is for candy!
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    strangers handing out sweets to kids? Hmmm ... i seem to remember something they taught us in school ... what was it? ... Nope. It'll come to me.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    blackadder moment.
    here is a box of candy..which you are not getting
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    strangers handing out sweets to kids? Hmmm ... i seem to remember something they taught us in school ... what was it? ... Nope. It'll come to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do children not go "trick-or-treating" in the UK?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    they knock on doors and get ignored
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I'll be celebrating Hop Tu Naa over here on Fraggle Rock. It's basically the same sh1t, kids knock on your door, sing 'Ginnie the Witch', get some small change and a handful of haribo, job done.

Turnips are a bugger to hollow out though.. ahh, the smell of burning turnip...

Back on point - it's got to be candy. Why shouldn't everyone elses kids be up 'till 2:00am pumped full of additives...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    One thing I liked getting one year, and I wish would happen more often, is a can of pop. All that food and nothing to drink. If you want to be different, get them a drink wink.gif Hell, kids will drink juices and water these days if you want to try throwing 'health' into equation.

The comic thing isn't bad. I probably wouldn't have minded it if they were decent comics. It would be something to read while I'm making myself sick on candy.

Just don't give out religious material. I hate people doing that. My kids have gotten those and I don't like the messages they like to put in it. I love how they think their screwed up twist on what halloween means, is somehow their job to explain to my kids.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]
    I love how they think their screwed up twist on what halloween means, is somehow their job to explain to my kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

what DOES halloween mean?
  • Asherr
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    It means getting dressed up and trick-or-treating. At least that is what it has always meant to me.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    yep, the idea of putting an extra screwed-up twist on dressing up your children as ghosts and devils and sending them out to tramp the streets and get hand-outs is definitely nightmarish

what sort of tricks are pulled if there's no treats? Or is it just a parade of blank-faced compliance (a bit like Edward G Robinson going to the clinic in Soylent green)?
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    IGotARock.jpg

"I got a rock..."
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    lol, best part of halloween. I used to love watching Charlie Brown's halloween show smile.gif (Ah the memories)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what about a comic and one of those honey tubes or natural fruit rollups? Those aren't bad tasting.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    "Crunchy Frog."

"You mean there is a real frog in here?"
    "Yes, a little one."
    "What sort of frog?!"
    "A dead frog."
    "Is it cooked?!?"
    "No."
    "What? A raw frog?!?!"
    "Oh, we use only the finest baby frogs, dew-picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and sealed in a succulent, Swiss, quintuple-smooth, treble-milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."
    "That's as maybe but its still a frog."
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    "I got a rock..."

[/ QUOTE ]
    BWHAHAHAHAAAA! laugh.gif
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a promise to myself that I wasn't going to be 'one of those houses' that gave out crap and healthy stuff.

I pass out name brand candy, and let them take as much as they want.

A lot of parents now days are so paranoid that they throw out the candy their kids get and replace it with stuff they bought themselves. So who really cares?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Kids don't visit my house on Halloween, I'll take a picture tonight and you'll see why...
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    A lot of parents now days are so paranoid that they throw out the candy their kids get and replace it with stuff they bought themselves. So who really cares?

[/ QUOTE ]
    You mean there are garbage cans full of perfectly good candy sitting around after Holloween!?! Looks like I've found what I'm doing Nov. 1. crazy.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    what sort of tricks are pulled if there's no treats? Or is it just a parade of blank-faced compliance (a bit like Edward G Robinson going to the clinic in Soylent green)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, when I was a kid, we would just shrug our sholders and move on to the next house. But we were good kids and lived in a suburban area where there were thousands of houses in close proximity. Some common tricks that are pulled is to "T.P." a person's house (i.e. string the persons yard, trees, house with several rolls of toilet paper), to "egg" their house (i.e. throw raw eggs at the house), or to smash their jack-o-lanterns if they have them.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    You mean there are garbage cans full of perfectly good candy sitting around after Holloween!?! Looks like I've found what I'm doing Nov. 1. crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, yeah.

sadly, I didn't think this kind of stuff happened until about 5 years ago, I went trick or treating with my ex-gf's family and their group of neighbors.

At the end of the night, all the parents replaced the candy and threw out the stuff their kids got, without the kids knowing of course. We got to rifle through the bags of candy before they went into the trash.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    "all you have to do is ring the doorbell and say trick or treat"
    "are you sure that's legal?"
    "of course it's legal"
    "good. I wouldn't like to be accused of taking part in a rumble"
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Condoms.

"Would you like regular or ribbed? Be safe kids!"
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats sad is my father would egg the houses...

Im serious.
  • TNSLB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNSLB polycounter lvl 18
    I vote that if you're going to be the Hallo-Grinch, do the fruit rollups, or sugar free gum/candy.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    To quote the Homestar Runner:
    "Poopsmith, did you give me some bum candy?"

'round here kids can sing for their treats on Luther day or they can go home empty handed. I heard some kids tried "tricking" and got dragged to court for vandalism.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found some fair trade organic dark chocalate mini bars and lollipops. smile.gif So I can give the sugar without the guilt (and the eggs).

Thank god for co-ops.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    best quote from the wikipedia article:
    "Bonfires are less commonly lit for Hallowe'en in Northern Ireland these days, and I fart in your general direction."
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    The strangest thing is that as a kid, I never understood what "Trick or treat" really meant. One time I went to a house, said it, and the guy there just looked a me and said "Trick." I just walked away scratching my head.

It's actually a threat. Translated, it would be "Give me goodies, or I'm going to do something destructive. Your property or person may be at risk. So hook me up."

I'm going to make sure that my kid understands this, and will arm him with some silly string.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I found some fair trade organic dark chocalate mini bars and lollipops. smile.gif So I can give the sugar without the guilt (and the eggs).

Thank god for co-ops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Parents throw this stuff out, if its not a recognised name brand it goes in the dumper. Nice of you to think outside of the box on this one, but really might as well give out coupons for free air.

When I was in Jr High (might have been early high school) my brother and I made two scarecrows out of some old jumpsuits and halloween masks. We stuffed them with newspaper and put them our porch a week before Halloween. Then on Halloween we put on the suits and stuffed them with some more paper. We only managed to pull it off about 3 times because word got around, and well the screams turned a lot of heads on our block hahaha.

Moral of the story, if you don't want to give them something that will rot their teeth give them a memory =)