Home General Discussion

what sort of things do you buy on ebay?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
danr interpolator
obviously it's a great way of picking up standard stuff a lot cheaper than in the shops ... but other than those economical purchases, what things do you routinely browse and bid on mostly for fun, knowing that it's not going to make much of a dent in your monthly budget, and you'd only spend it on fags or beer or crack cocaine otherwise

me, i've got collectables>breweriana favourited, and am building up quite a collection of increasingly large and grotesque mugs and steins. Oh, and old enamel signs. They *rock

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I buy all sorts of things on ebay. Boots, Discontinued McFarlane toys, Vinyl Records, Computer parts and hard to find movies.
    I often browse for militaria though. I almost bought a Nazi officer great coat. But I was outbid.

I also sell on ebay from time to time. Often it's old computer parts. Sometimes I'm unsure if they work, and I put this in the description. Yet people bid on it anyway. Then complain to me that it doesn't work. Whatever. It's not my fault you can't read. I even state "Be warned, this may not work, so you are taking a chance by bidding". And I also state no refunds.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    DVDs of movies I liked 15 years ago- Buckaroo Banzai, Ford Fairline etc.

I had bother getting american sherrif trousers a few years ago - in case I was a terrorist. One guy said he'd sell them to me as long as I wasn't a terrorist.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    I've purchased a legit copy of an older version of Photoshop (manuals and registration stuff and everything), collectibles, copies of my own out of print books (some have gone to collectors level pricing already) and things to give as gifts.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a good place to buy old tech. A few years ago I bought an assload of old NES cartriges and peripherals, including this guy:
    rob.jpg
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    human souls! They are cheap and come with papers too. Also sometimes other body parts when i hurt myself, figure if it worked for good old frankenstein it should work for me.

Really i buy comics and toys when they are cheap.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    i recently bought a 200 inch 1280x1024 max, 3 panel lcd projector for $305... all it needed was a new lamp... which set me bakc $250... but then again all together thats still very cheap for the system.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I've only bought a copy of the Lobo Paramilitary X-mas Special issue on ebay. But goddamn that's a great issue. smile.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    My first purchase was one of those cheap morning stars back in 97 or 98. I recently bought a set of taillights and headlights for my Scion xB.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    soiled panties
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Plenty of parts for the Barracuda and Corvette, a few misc tech items, and some other occasional things I can't think of at the moment.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    The 'traveller book', and old sci-fi role playing game I remember from my youth (with an illustration by Mr Jaquays!

Space crusade board game..

I need to buy more lego - it's dirt cheap.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    bought my wacom tablet there.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I get a lot of my computer stuff from there.
    I've also bought toys for my kids for xmas. Some of the 'hot toys' get so saturated on there, that I was able to get some of them for the same price stores sold them for, but was out of stock on.
    Also a great place to buy parts for my old Jetta. Best place to find used VW parts.

I've also sold things like my old transformers, GiJoe, and Star Wars. Being near Detroit, I've also gone to the Auto Show and picked up many free posters, then sold them on EBay for $10-$15 a piece.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    pc games i cant find in stores anymore ( syndicate flashback dungeon keeper 2 fade to black quake1 ut98 ... and several others )
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I buy old, complete games for my collection.

Lots of random stuff.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    My friend buys B-list celebrity photos with autographs and frames them and hangs them on his wall in his dorm room, his collection is hilarious, he has the guy from that movie Powder, he has Charles Bronson, he has Chuck Norris, he has Dougie Houser, and a bunch of others I forgot, it cracks me up everytime though. He says they are cheap, around 7 bucks each, but i highly doubt they are real signatures.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    lol

I buy used or vintage guitar pedals.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    bootleg import dvd's that you can'd get on dvd here.

cool shirts
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Not one single thing. Ever. If I want something, I'll just go to a store and buy it, rather than play the bid/outbid game.

But I'm also not one for memorabilia, collectibles, etc., which E-bay seems to be designed for.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Not one single thing. Ever. If I want something, I'll just go to a store and buy it, rather than play the bid/outbid game.

But I'm also not one for memorabilia, collectibles, etc., which E-bay seems to be designed for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ebay is a good place for parts or hard to find things, I've got two broken powerbooks that I'm going to sell on Ebay and I'll probably get a good price on them too, try selling that at a yard sale.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you know you dont have to bid on all things?

i also use ebay for reference pics,lots of high quality shots of everything under the sun
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    Crap, utter CRAP. Main reason I haven't touched my account in like two years. I think one thing out of the 11 that I bought was something useful.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I buy NOTHING on Ebay! muhahahaha
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    how much did it cost you vasago?I bought a vial of leprocy disease for 100 dollars. almost got out bid by a faith healer
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Too many Armored Core toys and hard to find Transformers that I can't afford.

But hey I really needed a $100 Gen1 Optimus Prime.

I learned the hard way to avoid bidding on things after midnight.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ebay has things you can't buy in stores. I bought a near-mint G1 Sideswipe Transformer back in 1999 for $30, and I haven't seen them on store shelves since I originally bought my first one back in 1985 (it was my first TF, but didn't survive childhood).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In my day, I've bought The Boondock Saints on Canadian DVD while it was still only on VHS stateside, a GeForce 6800 Ultra a week after they were released for $150 under retail, and a pair of otherwise sold out front row tickes to see the musical Wicked back in March. But I suppose I shouldn't be trying to convince you to use it - the fewer people bidding on things I want, the better cool.gif
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Motorcycle parts. I'm customising my 84 honda interceptor with modern parts.