Home General Discussion

World of WARCRaft now WITH spyware

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
wel actualy its had spyware for a long time, but no one cares.

http://www.rootkit.com/blog.php?newsid=358

Replies

• character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    character polycounter lvl 18
    now the question is, can this be exploited by a third party to access personal files and is it going on already?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    soon enough, you'll find companies like blizzard have access to your email address, real name, address and credit card details ...
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i think i heard about this 8 months to a year ago...
    possibly on this forum
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    It's called an overreaction. I somewhat doubt that blizzard is using it for anything but to make sure people aren't cheating, and doubt even more than any of the information is recorded.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    No its only when you go on a raid and see a ad that says "ITS MILLER TIME" in the cave of gnorwtielhglqforthertot that people will start to care smile.gif
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Overreaction my ass. Think about it, major ISPs, and Major financial corporations have had their collection data stolen or hacked into. I highly doubt blizzard is any more secure. There is no reason, other than squeezing every last dime out of the customer, that they need to be tracking anything any of us do.

Run a program like Ewido or Peerguardian to block major ad traffic sites, you would be surprised how many times you data is unwillingly sent out.

As for Rhinokey in the BF/EA post screaming about how we think this will steal our 'megahurtz'. I do understand his point of the general overreaction, but technically it does steal mhz. Not enough to affect anything, but it still has to take resources :P

Just be smart about it.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I have seen no proof that Blizzard is storing any of this information. it sounds liket he program checks for any cheating programs, and if there are none leaves you alone and stores no information.

Do you really believe that blizzard, who is making money left and right, feels the need to make a bit more by getting and storing personal data?

Don't be fricken rediculous. Paranoia is all good and fine, but it gets tedious.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    I take it you've never worked in sales. Once you have an audience for anything, movie, music fans, game fans etc. You instantly become a target for advertising programs. So I'm sure blizzard has been approached, as has EA about turning these audience groups into cash flow. What company would turn it down? More money, for statistics the company is already collecting.

XboxLive could do the same, and target ads based on your achievement points. As a company, the goal is to make money, not please the minority sub section of your audience. Most people either don't care or don't know.

This WOW spyware checks things outside of it's program, read the article. What right do they have to any of my other open windows? They can safely check their own executed code and libraries for cheats.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    [ QUOTE ]

This WOW spyware checks things outside of it's program, read the article. What right do they have to any of my other open windows? They can safely check their own executed code and libraries for cheats.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of cheats do not run within the games memory space. For example; some autoaim cheats will use data from the GPU memory and not be detectable unless you check the entire machine for applications running in the background. Because some cheats are this sneaky WOW needs to scan your entire machine to check for them.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Of course I still wonder how much you could cheat in an MMO. Those things aren't skill based except for maybe a few strategic decisions, most of it is stats and equipment and you cannot cheat those. Do cheats allow anything a normal player cannot do? Or is that just about bots?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    yeah and all computers with built in webcameras are watching us!
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Of course I still wonder how much you could cheat in an MMO. Those things aren't skill based except for maybe a few strategic decisions, most of it is stats and equipment and you cannot cheat those. Do cheats allow anything a normal player cannot do? Or is that just about bots?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bandwith costs money and could make the game unplayable on slower connections so some compromises are there that somewhat trust the client and yes bots are bad.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    my penis has spyware