Home General Discussion

Don't trust those damned Stingrays!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
Fla. boater stabbed in chest by stingray

The sucker jumped into the boat! It's high time we struck back at this barbed menace!

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    the stingrays are revolting!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Damn article called it a freak accident again... It's not seeming so freak anymore to me. They are starting a war against humans and I say we fight back!
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    I am asking, is the lesson here:
    If you are stabbed in the heart, leave the knife/ice-pick/screwdriver/stingray barb in your chest and once you get to the hospital (if you are lucky enough to make it) the doctors can save you.
    Is that right? if only Steve Irwin knew...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep its true, it holds back the tide of blood just waiting to come flooding out the gaping wound. Also a doctor with a cool head and a slow steady hand might be a better choice to remove something rather than a someone pumped up full of adrienline just yanking and twisting trying to get it out. They can get a better angle on the object than you can on your own. Also most people in that situation don't have a plan for what to do after they get it out, docotors do.

Medics have been known to insert things into bullet wounds to help slow down bleeding.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]

Is that right? if only Steve Irwin knew...

[/ QUOTE ]
    i hope that was a joke... steve got stabbed through the heart, instant death.
    and yeah, i find it quite freaky that stingray jumped on his boat and then stabbed him near the heart in the chest... was anyone with the old guy?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took it as he was sincere with that statement. Steve didn't die instantly exactly. He did pull out the barb and as steady was suggesting, had he left it, he may have had more of a chance.
    Unfortunately Steve was underwater, which would have added difficulty to his recovery/rescue. This guy was already above water in a boat, so he was a bit fortunate... aside from having a barb in his chest. Not to mention, it doesn't sound like it hit his heart like it did Steves.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i hope that was a joke... steve got stabbed through the heart, instant death.
    and yeah, i find it quite freaky that stingray jumped on his boat and then stabbed him near the heart in the chest... was anyone with the old guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

"James Bertakis of Lighthouse Point was on the water with his granddaughter and a friend Wednesday when a stingray flopped onto the boat and stung Bertakis. The women steered the boat to shore and called 911."

[ QUOTE ]
    I took it as he was sincere with that statement. Steve didn't die instantly exactly. He did pull out the barb and as steady was suggesting, had he left it, he may have had more of a chance.
    Unfortunately Steve was underwater, which would have added difficulty to his recovery/rescue. This guy was already above water in a boat, so he was a bit fortunate... aside from having a barb in his chest. Not to mention, it doesn't sound like it hit his heart like it did Steves.

[/ QUOTE ]

"He said Bertakis' case was different from Irwin's because the barb stayed in Bertakis' heart and was not pulled out. Videotape of Irwin's last moments shows him pulling the barb from his chest"

"Doctors were able to remove the barb during surgeries Wednesday and Thursday by eventually pulling it through his heart and closing the wound, said Dr. Eugene Costantini at Broward General Medical Center."
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    well, i stand greatly corrected!
    i didn't actually read the article linked in the op, i just heard it on the news. alwell, learned my lesson to read all sources first before posting... blush.gif
    however, you would think that your heart wouldn't be able to really work with a barb in the heart.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I understand the article correctly they pushed the barb through his heart instead of backing it out? After looking these up I see why, ouch... I guess it also depends on where in the heart they both where stabbed. But I can't help but think that Irwin would have been in better shape to leave it in. Still you can't fault the guy for reacting on instinct.
    stingray_barb_web.jpgspine_dime_web.jpg
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the stingrays are revolting!

[/ QUOTE ]

"They've always been revolting, but now they are rebelling!"
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Still you can't fault the guy for reacting on instinct.

[/ QUOTE ]

True that. I've heard of leaving blades and such in to stop bleeding before, but I'm not sure I'd remember that if I had a barb through my heart.

Were you serious about the bulletwound thing Vig? I laughed when I first read that. But if it's true, I demand a special Tampax unlock for the medic in Battlefield 2142.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The idea is to keep yourself from bleeding to death. Obviously you'd still bleed, but not as bad.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The idea is to have it expand and apply pressure from the inside the wound which will slow the bleeding down better than just applying pressure to the outside area surounding the wound. From what I understand regular tampons are clean, but aren't steril and actaully carry a risk of infection and toxic shock. Why toxic shock? because the material they are made out of isn't ment to be applied to open wounds and can get into your blood stream and cause your body to do nasty things. I think Actual field medics and paramedics have something similar but is steril. Medics are full of stories packing wounds full of stuff trying to stop bleeding and its like clowns in a clown car when they unpack the wound start working.

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should have been clearer in my response... I was refering to leaving the barb in wink.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    when i was younger we would go fishing out in the gulf for shark,, and ocasionaly you would catch a stingray, i've seen over a dozen caught most were released,, some were kept to be made into delicious food... and a couple... were ICK cause its a survival mech for pregnant stingrays to give birth when endangered... tho not a verry good survival mech when they release a pile of icky baby slimey rays all over your boat