Home General Discussion

illustration

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
wonder how much you can make as a commercial illustator these days?.I was thinking about going back in to commercial art.

Replies

• Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    My office mate and I were both once professional illustrators. Many of the illustrators we know are trying to get into games. Maybe they know something.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I'm currently doing illustration (of a sort) for casual online games. It's typically backgrounds, menu systems and placeable sprites for cartoony-looking mini resource management titles. There's quite a booming market for that stuff..
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah i was thinking of going back to doing wildlife stuff which is what i did before games.
    may even do my MA in scientific illsuatration if I get the chance.
    just a bit frustrated with games stuff of late. need to spread my wings i feel.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I tried to get into the illustration market for the past 3 years.

My only advice is to make a collection of work and then pimp it where ever possible the real world. Pimping illustration online has had little to no effect but when I put under peoples noses in RL on hard copy, I often get some leads or even work. Going to parties concerned with art or design really helps build up contacts.

Also signing up with a good agency can get you mountains of work without even lifting a finger. I got a 10 month contract to make pixel art illustrations last year, just on an off-chance from idly phoning my agent when I was bored one afternoon.

PM me if you need any specific advice smile.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cool, cheers hawken. I was thinking of doing some samples and as you say signing up with an illustration agency. I was thinking of stuff like toucans ,flowers/nature scnes using zbrus,max and pshop.
    I did do illustration stuff years ago, but didn't get very far as a I was n't that good then
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I've been interested in this lately. I know some friends who are doing illustrations for small contract work. I feel I would have more success moving back to more traditional works, than constantly trying to keep up with new and sometimes useless game tech.