Home General Discussion

awesome computer and already have problems :)

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Joao Sapiro sublime tool
hey guys , iv gotten my new pc , etc it runs fine...except for its random shut downs without warning...it usually happens when im playing battlefield 2... happened twice when i wasnt playing games. at first i thought it was a overheating problem, so i ran pcprobe 2 provided by asus and checked the temperature etc. the Motherboard is usually 45º Centigrade and the CPU is usually 33º Celsius. Some minutes ago i got a warning from the CPU fan saying it was having high rpm...

I really dont know what to do...this computer has dual SLI 7950 , 2 gigs of fastest ram and Pentium D 3.4 , i really dont know what is causing this shut downs frown.gif

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Could be a powersource problem. That's a pretty powerful system, so what is your powersource?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Contact ASUS. It could still be an overheating issue if your cooling equipment isn't stable enough or isn't supplying enough air circulation. Your temps are probably fine until you fire up a game. Try checking the temps while BF2 is running.
    If there is an alarm you can set for overtemp, try that. The unfortunate part about auto-shutdowns is the lack of feedback. If you can set up a beep prior, then you'll know if it's heat or something else.

I'll also assume you haven't overclocked anything wink.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Could be a powersource problem. That's a pretty powerful system, so what is your powersource?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thats what it sounds like. Try disconnecting everything unneeded that uses power (cd drives, extra harddrives, all sorts of external usb devices) and see if the problem persists.
    Sometimes a PSU can not keep up with short extreme powerdrains, thus resulting in a complete shutdown.

If that isn't the problem, maybe check the RAM, but ram errors just like overheating problems usually result in a corrupted display or other kind of strange behaviour, and not that often in sudden reboots (but it can happen).
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    it could quite possibly be a psu problem.
    a while back my old psu started shuting down during windows.. and then it started shutting down right as the system powered up, i then reset the cmos which reset my speeds back to normal (was overclocking my cpu 700+ mhz and had my ram at 3.6 volts, it was ddr utt-bh5 voltage sucking ram). after that guess what? the system started up fine.
    however after a while the psu died with a great big blue puff of smoke and it was time for a new one.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    You know I don't have any idea what is wrong with your computer but I was having the same problem . I updated my video card drivers and it fixed the random shut down problem . Im sure you have updated drivers though right ? Good luck though that sucks !
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    possibly power supply, i try and get a good PSU cuz ... well... lol it powers the rest of your system, doesn't matter what components you put in there a crappy power supply could be messing things up or worse... could fry up ur whole pc. so yeah get a good PSU with lots of wattage.

I've also had this happen with my athlon 64 x2, aparently the default cpu voltages weren't correct or something like that so u had to give it more juice so it'd run propperly... thats all i ended up doing and it was fine... so i dunno i doubt its ur cpu, most likely its the power supply.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    This is going to sound silly, but depending on what ASUS mobo you have, it could have come with the "Passive" CPU cooler fans that go over these random heat-pipe systems built into the motherboard. If this is the case, then DO NOT put them on. If you already have a CPU fan, that's powered and rearing to go, don't put these passive fans on, because then your motherboard flips a bitch about fan speeds and has a hell of a time syncing them up... This is experience speaking.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ok , i nwill talk with the pc technician about the power supply . Because it is annyoing me now beeing able to play more than a hour or less...yesterday i had the computer on for like 6 hours. Turned on battlefield 2 and BAM when i spawned it went kaput. Im gonna try with other games too , and try to search for graphic card drivers because i cant find them on nvidia site , or the versions i download says it isnt etc...blah...keep coming with sugestions people really helping me out laugh.gif
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    What cooling do you have on the graphics cards, it could be them overheating. I agree with the others on the power supply though, it may be underpowered for your system. With specs like yours you should have at least a 700W PSU and it should DEFINATELY be a good brand. PSU or overheating GFX cards is my guess as both would function normally untill you start using power hungry apps like games. Does the PC freeze then reboot or does it just shut down, any blue screens pop up etc?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    it simply turns off , like someone cut the power.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I was having very similar problems with my PC, I replaced the PSU and it's been fine ever since.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ok, so i will have to replace the PSU frown.gif this really sucks since im in spain and the computer technitian that assembled the computer is in portugal..i wont give it to anyone here as i am afraid that they swap ram, etc , happened before, not going to risk again.

Oh well, i can try to fix it myself, is it easy ?

P.S - thank you so much for the support guys !
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Easy to do yourself, just remember which cables are connected to the current psu, and then do the same with the new wink.gif
    The psu is usually connected by 4 screws in the back where the main fan is.

But have you tried disconnecting devices first? And what is the current PSU you have? Oh and it is much more important to get a quality brand with a good energy efficiency and a high "combined watt" power than just a high watt number (also because you will pay through your nose when the next powerbill comes tongue.gif ).
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ok, the technitian informed me that it is 650 watts , and heavy ones , so i guess it rules out psu problems frown.gif
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    ok, the technitian informed me that it is 650 watts , and heavy ones , so i guess it rules out psu problems frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Not necessarily, get yourself another PSU anyway to have as a back up (if you have the cash to spare).

Once you get it just connect it up and test the system, if it runs ok then you know the old PSU was faulty and probably best removed before it shags the hardware with it's shockstick.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think it's the PSU... or should I say, it's not too small. Here is a calculator btw for the people that keep thinking they need a nuclear power supply for their machines: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Again, check the cooling fans... try running the computer with the side of the case off (If you aren't already). Or take it back to that shop and let him debug it wink.gif

It may be the drivers as others have suggested. Usually that results in a blue screen/memory dump though. The nvidia site only has one driver for the newer cards. The link is http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_91.47.html
    The problem could relate to the dual sli. Will the computer work for a long time, then crash only when you try games? It could be that any time you use graphics acceleration, your computer bites it. As I referenced in the past, dual SLI is still a little rough. Unfortunately, I don't think it would be easy for you to pull out one card to see if the problem goes away. Most boards seem to have jumper settings and bridge cards.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    well it seems to happen lately only with battlefield 2 , i played evil genius and age of mythology and it was fine , in terms of temperature there is no over heating frown.gif ill install the latest drivers , and the PSU according to the technitian ( that also is a friend ) is a "REAL psu" ahah ...lets see i
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, what about altering the memory timings in the BIOS?
    If the problem is related to the RAM then choosing less demanding timings (and truning off dual channel) could fix the problem, or at least tell you where the problem is.

edit: if it really only happens with bf2 than i wouldn't rule out that buggy pice of shit as the source of the problem either tongue.gif
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    too bad you don't have a DFI mobo, they have memtest intergrated into the bios. but you can still run it. use it to see if your memory is bad.
    it could also quite possibly be your windows install, bf2 no longer worked for me at one point (gave me a bsod) but that was fixed with a windows repair.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Download the latest 3D Mark and run the bench like 3 or 4 times in a row. If it can do that then most likely your machine can handle the load.

PS! If you have a good case and take one side off the cooling will get worse because of incorrect airflow.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ok i installed the latest nvidia drivers ( thanks notman ) , and iv know that the motherboard bios stuff etc is all up to date...yet it still shuts down....im getting lost here...the temperature is good , but someone suggest me to disable SLI in the graphic cards..dunno about that...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate to harp on this, but did you check the cpu temp as you were starting BF2 like I suggested? I know you said in the first post that your temp was fine, but I'm assuming that was in an idle state. The CPU isn't getting a workout at that point. It may be that you aren't cooling your system enough when you put a load on it. You mentioned the fans kicking up (and giving you an error), which make me think you are straining the system and the fans are trying to cool it down.

Edit: Cross post wink.gif I was the one suggesting disabling the SLI, but it isn't a simple task... check your bios or software and see if there is a setting to disable SLI. I don't have a system like that, so I'm not familar with what is available for settings.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i checked it while runnining ingame and the temperature was fine frown.gif this computer has lower temperature than my laptop eheh...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then I'm going to transition into blaming the game wink.gif

Actually, I just found this: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=18626 It may help you to try older drivers apparently

Update: Hmmm, actually I found another article that was very interesting... I haven't completely read it yet, but I thought I'd post it now: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0%2C1558%2C1932947%2C00.asp
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, one more thing. From that article, it seems there may be a simple solution:
    [ QUOTE ]
    As we noted earlier, you can prevent these shutdowns by using a molex-to-PCI Express graphics card adapter and sharing the load with another 12V rail. Alternatively, just load up the other rails with more hard drives or other power-drawing peripherals.

[/ QUOTE ]
    So, unless you read that article fully, it seems like you need a new power supply, when in fact you may not. Sounds like you just need to make sure the video cards don't share the same power cable from the supply. My guess is that you are right now since that typically makes the most sense when organizing the cables in a computer.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    im screwed arent i ?

notman you have been a great help man ! so i guess yah..its the damn power supply, and the compouter technitian also considered it since on his tests he didnt push the graphic cards...agh...still keep em coming smile.gif

/me picks up phone and dial technitian number.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, read everything I said... it's NOT your power supply necessarily. I may not have been clear enough. The powersuply has strips of connectors coming out. Most likely, the connectors used for your video cards, are on the same strip. You need to disconnect one video card and use a power connector from a different strip.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    I'm a Systems Engineer with about 10 years experience in desktop and server environments. Any random shutdown is ultimately due to a faulty piece of hardware. In this case you seriously have to trouble shoot the issue. The least expensive part and most likely culprit is the PSU. Replace it, and run your tests. If it still happens, try a different video card, sound card etc etc. One item at a time until it stabilizes.

No 'technician' should have to push a graphics card in a bench test. Graphics cards actually have a bios that does warm up tests during post. You would have been notified of any error. When hardware is in question there is very rarely a grey area, either the device works or it doesn't. If any of the major components do not work, the system will simply not try to run on faulty hardware, to protect the other devices.

Another thing you can do, is re-seat the cards. Meaning, remove them fully, and replace them securely. Also make sure the motherboard was installed on risers. Some do-it-yourself pc builders neglect this step, and it leads to shorts.

There is an extremely rare issue with motherboard drivers that control the standby or shutdown software functions as well. Update the mobo drivers if you have not.

Hope it helps.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, its probably the PSU, did you find out if the PSU is SLI compliant? I have seen so many SLI systems built with non SLI PSUs, people seem to think that just because ist a high wattage PSU it'll do the job. They don't make SLI PSUs for nothing, SLI systems have very specific power requirements. Short of that, it could just be an issue with the game not liking your system. Try running the game on minimum everything and see if it still gives the error, if not then slowly tweak things back up one at a time untill you find what was crashing it then leave that disabled. Hope this helps.
  • nekked
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would try to isolate the problem.

Running two instances of Prime95 will will quickly tell you if your processor or ram is having probs. As someone else said, running 3dmark in loops should max out your gfx cards. If both of these work fine separately then run both the dual Prime95's as well as 3dMark looping at the same time, if it shuts down now its probably overheating something from the combined heat or the power supply is too weak. leave task manager open so you can view cpu's to make sure they are maxed out as well as nvidia control panel and a cpu temp prog to watch all temps.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think throwing parts at it is a bad troubleshooting technique unless you have plenty of pieces sitting around. Otherwise you'll basically repurchase your whole computer. Then you may find out some small detail was overlooked the whole time and none of the hardware was at fault.

There also are 'grey' areas in hardware. Filter capacitors can fail and cause the hardware to act flaky, but not completely fail. Many times random shutdowns can be simply temperature related. The motherboards are designed to shut down instantly if it detects an overheat of the CPU. This is done on purpose because CPUs can't handle overheating. I've seen this happen many times due to people having tumbleweeds in their heatsinks. wink.gif

It does sound like overheating is out though. The PSU routing is probably the problem. From what I can tell, the SLI rated PSUs just do a better job of seperating the 12V rails. That is why I was suggesting he connect to individual lines from the PSU rather than one shared line. That should help seperate the rails.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notman - I didn't mention the seperate rails cuz you already had it covered wink.gif good advice.

Johny - Its always good to have as few things on any given rail (rail = power lead coming from PSU) as possible and if it IS an SLI PSU it should have 2 seperate rails marked specificaly for the GFX cards. If you can open up your case and have a look at the brand and model of the power supply then we may be able to give you more sound advice.

Again, good luck wink.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i will open the computer tomorrow and take a pic for you guys to watch since my knowledge of computer hardware with electronics = 0 smile.gif

ill keep you guys updated wink.gif
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its god's way of telling you that you are a bitch :P
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ok, now the computer shuts down in the desktop and ocasionally freezes , making me to hard reset...a new power source arrives in the mail in 2 days , don't know what to do...
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok that might also be a faulty mainboard wink.gif I had similar problems with a ASUS board a while back. How hot does the northbridge get?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what I've been talking about for months here wink.gif But I believe he has the ASUS with the heatpiping. Not that the heatpiping can't fail, but it's not as likely. Of course, you still require proper airflow through the case, which is why I suggested testing with the side of the case off.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ok new stuff : the PSU is actually 560 W , the technitian said that he would send me a 650 with proper transmission speed and that it would do. I guess it was the PSU...thanks guys !
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let us know after you get the power supply. Your problems may not be solved just because he put in the wrong power supply wink.gif (But hopefully that's it)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the thing that is scaring me is the sudden computer freeze...how did it went from shutting down to shutting down and computer freeze ?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It happens, it all depends on what the machine was doing at the time the motherboard gave the shutdown instruction. It may happen 1 in 10 times or 2 in 5 but its nothing to worry about. Let us know how the new PSU works wink.gif

Good luck.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    560W PSU should provide plenty of juice, if its a quality item.
    The reccomended watts for the high end video card confs are way over rated because of some junk manufacturers over rating their shitty PSU's.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ok the powers ource arrived today , but the computer seems to be swlowly getting crapy , now a blue screen of death appeared for some seconds before restarting my system...i begin to think this isnt also the psu...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried running with the case open?
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did you run memtest like i said?
    it may also be your chipset overheating, at one time i had a wire stuck in the chipset fan... and it led to all kinds of problems ranging from blue screen of death, freezes, random restarts, errors in programs...etc. thankfully i found it before any permenant damage was done to the chipset... but sadly my windows install was dead from so many errors.
    be sure to check those things.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ok, i replaced the psu with a new one that seems to be made specially for the sli , so far so good , no shutdowns no nothing, this kitten is purring like a caca fest , anyway i dont know if i should reinstall windows, i am a little paranoid to get anotehr blue screen frown.gif

and by the way : thanks alot guys wink.gif really laugh.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't reinstall windows. That may cause more problems than it's worth. Just use it for a bit and see how things work out. If it continues with anymore bluescreens, then maybe, but it may be a sign of another issue. There's usually a pretty bad hardware issue for XP to do a BSOD these days.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    well, it was just for a few seconds thou , like i was mudboxing and watching a dvd and it sort of froze and showed the blue screen for some seconds and restarted frown.gif