Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

. hexcerataur ?

tacit math
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
tacit math polycounter lvl 17

just getting this out of my system. took a little time to start in on the armour and whatnot. but still very much WIP. at the time i was thinking of working him up for the blizzard comp. but went with the high poly birdman instead. finished neither of course. currently 4784 tri's. i'll leave it for a while and get back to those other projects

:

hexTrick_01.gif

hexTrick_02.gif

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Did you use the same base body for your Ben Grimm? Looks sweet dude, I love the edge loop flow!

A few suggestions on the character design, would be:
    -Triceratops had very formidable horns on their head, I would do the same with this character, making them a weapon he could use as well.
    -Triceratops also had big blunt nails on their feet, rather than giving him points on the ends of his fingers and his toes, maybe give him big blunt nails?

triceratops!.jpg

Go for the finish line dude, he'd be badass textured and/or normal mapped!
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    haha. i dont care what oyu used for a base model. I sooo want to steal that model from you and mudbox the brains out of it. ^___^ very cool. fun proportions etc.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

thanks guys. this guy's not born of the same base as ben. but the flow runs the same lines in a lot of places. similar builds and all
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Hi,

I really like your work, I think you've got some great modeling skills.

One thing I have noticed across all your models that I have seen (Grimm, Manavian, and this one), is that they all feel a bit squashed vertically to me.

If I take an image of your model into photoshop (any of them), and scale them up vertically their proportions look so much more heroic. At the moment they all feel kind of squat.

If that's just your style, then I guess you can disregard this crit. But maybe just try scaling it up a bit and see what you think.

Great base mesh and design
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    absolutely nice one -
    proportions , mesh ... well done.
    I love it.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    I wholehearedly agree with foreverendering. I had been unable to put my finger on it until he mentioned it, but I had definitely noticed something proportionately "off" on your recent models (blizzard, thing, and now this).

Looking great other than that. I really like how you handle some of the muscle groups while keeping things low poly. The head has a great silhouette.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

fair comments guys. all those models are pretty squat looking. but the proportions are not by accident. i made 'em that way. just having a play around. foreverendering ( much respect for your work man ) you say that if they were ' stretched ' a little vertically they might achieve a more heroic look. i agree. but i'm trying to mess around with a kinda odd. almost awkward and cartoony feel. and i'm not even sure if i'm succeeding there to suit my own taste. though. as i said. just messin' about

i'm usually guilty of making my characters quite lanky. these bulky fellows are a bit of a departure

so. something slim to take the edge off :

serpent_01.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I love him. Except for those three center loops. Other than that, I want to kiss him all over.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    That's cool man, in the end you gotta go with your preferences.

Again, great work - I think you have a real talent for achieving muscle flow and a sense of weight with even minimal polys

I'd love to see textured renders of any of your characters smile.gif
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd love to see textured renders of any of your characters smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ha. man. that makes two of us. impart some of that mad texture talent you got and i'll be good to go

the obligatory turnaround :

trick_lo_tt.gif
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

made some additions to his armour. decided to go with the more symmetrical look. just updated the above images to reflect it
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I realy like this character, the proporitions are great and fit the warcraft style.

You gonna sculpt him up pretty like?
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah. i'll get into the sculpting at some point. need to move ahead with a few other projects first

hey man. best of luck with your mod project a
  • xstortionist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xstortionist polycounter lvl 17
    looks great, only thing that bugs me about this model is the head is way too small. I'd go ahead and make the head bigger to match his muscular body porportions. Other than that looks great.
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dkorch polycounter lvl 17
    great piece man. I really love the style with you characters. I cant wait to see the texture and sculpt for this. really fun, not to much to crit that hasnt been said. great job!
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I love the triceratops guy. The only thing that bugs me is the vertex I circled below.

annoyingvertexxy9.jpg

Looks really out of place, especially in the turn-around gif. Looks like you may have moved it by mistake and need to push it back in to be inline with the rest of the calf. Otherwise hot shit. smile.gif
  • Hiiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hiiro polycounter lvl 17
    Looks awsome!

I was wondering, how do you go about making that 3d rotation gif?
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me of one of the races from the original "Ninja turtles"....nice work man
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    haha i have that toy in my attic.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mine was lost when it fell off my bike and got crushed by a car. i cried for a week, and thinking about it still saddens me.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i was thinking to myself earlier on. that i'd not seen a version of a triceratops hybrid type character. so i kinda started loosely blocking my guy up. and then not a few days later i saw that one from the TMNT franchise in a toy store. heh. they'd beaten me well to it. i hope when he's all done in nice he'll be worthy to stand next to theirs
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh, yeah very hard to come up with new ideas with 6 billion people living on this planet. i made a pacycephalosaurid thing myself.