Home General Discussion

if you thought the cintiq was cool, check this out

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome, but it seems like if you're not working in a totally dark environment you're going to have issues with contrast and brightness.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm wondering how they handle pressure sensing. Maybe the pen is pressure sensitive?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    It's projected... so the light isn't comming from underneath. If anything, the light produced by the projection itself is very weak. It's almost like working with traditional media... you want it to be fairly well lit to see what you're working on. Opposite of what digital artists want.

It's pretty cool, but the lag would drive me insane.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    the lag make it look fake, right?
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    you want it to be fairly well lit to see what you're working on. Opposite of what digital artists want.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if it's fairly well lit, then the projection will lack contrast, since dark shades are represented by a lack of light (you can't project negative light onto a surface). With projection, you can only get as dark as the surface you're projecting on (which is why drive-in movies are shown at night, and not during the day).
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    it all depends on how many ansi lumens the projector is, from having several dlp projectors i know what they can handel, a 2000+ ansi lumens projector is bright enough to work on, i use to use mine to work on the wall, in a fully lit room, and i only had 1700. you would have to see it for real, a recording really isnt going to do it justice.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That may be true arshlevon, but regardless of how good it is, any projector is going to work better in low lighting conditions than it would on a well lit surface; it's just the nature of how light works. Unless you can project negative light, the darker the surface the better.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but its also the nature of contrast in general, if you can make a light bright enough then even neutral light can look black, the same as a cool grey can look like a pure color when paired next to a color of negetive intensity, its all very relative. even your computer is projecting light on your monitor, even for black, it dosent block the light that is behind it out on black pixels. the only monitors that have true black are HDR monitors that have three LEDs for each pixel and i dont even know if you can purchace them at the current moment, i have only seen prototypes. and the light behind your monitor is often way brigher than the ambient light in you room, its really no different. its just a matter of how bright the white point is in your projector relative to the light in the room.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    Hey! We had something similar to this put into our math and science classes in highschool. It was called the activeboard and it works almost the same exact way. The pen is pressure sensitive, not the giant tablet. It worked really well, especially in a classroom environment where the teacher was able to draw directly onto the notes, real-time, and show exactly what they're meaning. Cool tech, I really want one.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it was just like a normal projection screen, so it needed to be fairly dark in the room to get correct coloring and contrast etc.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really dont see the point of this, unless its pumping out some massive resolution all its doing is causing you to do way more work than what you would normally do using a regular wacom. Except its projected, so you can disrupt the projection and the lighting probally sucks. Wow, that sounds amazing to me. I only see this being used by nostalgic traditional artists looking for an easy transition into digital art, or someone who really needs some massive working area in which case its sort of cool.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Seems neat, but I'll keep my Cintiq 21UX thanks...
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Yes it sounds great indeed. But i agree that some stuff , like the lack of contrast and perhaps your own shadow will bug you sometimes. But good stuff anyways. I'd be happy with a Cintiq anyway, or anything better than a A5 Intuos laugh.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I like the blend of new technology and old art techniques (the wee palette and more like drawing on a canvas). But there doesn't seem to be anything necessary in that, just a more traditional way of painting etc. (and the previous mentioned problems).

Still better than my A6 Volito <whimper>.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really like the size of it, the one big complaint about my 21 inch cintiq is that its just too small. coming from a traditional background i can't stand small spaces, i feel so confined and there is no way in hell i could ever draw from my wrists, it hurts! i have to use my shoulder, it was beaten into me in art school. i am sure a 60 or 70 inch cintiq would kick major ass, but now its way too tiny. (for me)
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the one big complaint about my 21 inch cintiq is that its just too small.

[/ QUOTE ]

smallest_violin.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    shit !! i want one !!
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Perhaps the best of both worlds would be to have a dual "screen" setup. One screen is your cintiq, and the other is the projector, and be able to use the same pen on both of the screens. But that would probably be digital art overkill...
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Damn what's the price on that thing! Pretty sweet for people who like working on a large surface, personally I'd rather stick to my tablet where I can access the whole screen with wrist movements...
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    wouldn't the color be difficult to get accurate because of the projections transparency?