Home General Discussion

What console are you buying and for what game?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
So I'm waiting for all three consoles to hit stores before I make my decision, I usually only own one console at a time, the wii looks really fun but does not have any of my favourite single player franchises. What is your console of choice and what particular game or games are you purchasing it for?

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'll pick up the Wii shortly after release and then see whats going on with the PS3. At this stage its not looking like something I'll get terribly excited about.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    I'm picking up the PS3, but probably a few months after release. Going to get Motorstorm, Ridge Racer and MGS4 smile.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Depending on cash flow i'm thinking of getting a 360 for halo 3, dead rising, oblivion, gears of war, assassins creed, and what ever other games strike my fancy.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I'm on par with TGZ. The 360 is the only console which really interests me at the moment.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I'm happy with my 360. been playing alot of test drive unlimited lately. have dead rising I need to finish up still.

halo 3 appeals, as does halo wars laugh.gif (yea yea shush you halo haters I like the series), assasins creed, forza motorsport 2, blue dragon, rainbow six: las vegas, gta4, and yet more games I plan on getting.

Wii interests me, but i'm uncertain if i'll actually get one or not yet. and ps3 doesn't appeal to me right now. no games have yet to make me stain my pants yet.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be getting.... MORE PC GEAR!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The PS3 leaves me cold at the minute.

I love my 360 - Ghost Recon, Battlefield, Lego Star Wars, Project Gotam - all excellent games.

Dead Rising is actaully a steaming turd after a while. It reeks of lack of focus testing, and I fell ruined a nice sandbox game with tedious boss fights.

Gears of War is the next purchase on my list - then it'll be a whole year before GTA owns you.

I'll likely get a Wii next summer, Mario Galaxy has me intrigued.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I'll probably get a Wii first, not sure for what game but I'm not sure when I'll buy it, either. I've also started thinking about an XBox 360 since I heard Earth Defence Force 3 (the sequel to this game) is coming to the system.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    If any, a Wii. I've got a very decent PC standing next to me, so I don't need a console to play FPS-games. What I want in a console is games that are radically different from the stuff I can play on the PC, and the Wii seems to promise that. I am waiting for responses first though, the system still looks a bit doubtful. Could easily go wrong.

As for the PS3, doesn't look awfully interesting. Assassin's Creed and MGS3 don't look bad, but nothing worth buying a console for.
    The 360 isn't awfully interesting either, to me. I hated the first Halo, because of its awful map design, and H2 wasn't much fun when not in co-op either. Dead Rising seems a bit too sandboxy, and not really fun once you've found all the weapons; after all, the AI is virtually nonexistant. Gears of War gameplay seems to be cover-shoot-cover-shoot, which isn't revolutionary. Though the environments look nice, the story is pretty much a lousy clich
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I currently have a 360, so Gears of War, Bioshock, KUF: Circle of doom, mass effect, assasin's creed and some others are definite purchases.
    I want to get a wii, as well. Already have zelda reserved for it.
    I might get the ps3 in a few years, or something.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [soap box]
    I remember an article a few months back, pitty I can't find it now but it was with a studio exec (I think he was an EA sub studio) and he was asked a question like why don't you take chances on inovative games, why do you keep making the same thing and reselling it as new each year? His answer was something along the lines of "Because that is what the gamers want, when they grow tired of it they will let us know with thier purchusing power".

I think the support for the Wiivolution is just that, a vote for change. I'm not sure if the Wii will actually have any good games or if I will even like it 6mo after launch but I'll buy one to cast my vote that the current trend to toss fun out the window and try to impress gamers with pixel stats, isn't working.
    [/soap box]

I have a 360, there are a few games I enjoy playing that list is starting to grow. Next I will buy a Wii and MAYBE if Sony comes out with a must have game that I can only get on the PS3 such as a remake of FF7 then I will buy one, play that game to death and trade it in as soon as I am done.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I waited a year but I just purchased a 360, at the moment it has the strongest lineup imho. Saints Row, GTA 4 (+ exclusive episodes on xbox live), Perfect Dark, the Halo series, Gears of War, Mass Effects, Lost Planet, Bioshock, Armored Core 4, Sylpheed, Resident Evil 4, Dead Rising, and quite a few others, not to mention the XBox Live service and Arcade look quite nifty!

I'm very tempted to get the Wii, since it's backwards compatible I'll be selling my Gamecube...I certainly hope the Wii gets more 3rd party games, I am a big fan of Nintendo's main franchises, but I'd like a little more than just Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Star Fox and Kirby. (I know they do a ton of spin offs but the latest Mario Kart or Smash Bros doesn't interest me much at all).
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i'm into jap games mostly, so naturally the 360 seems rather unattractive to me.
    will probably get a 2nd gen PS3. wii - well, it's overpriced for what it can do imho and the typical nintendo stuff is of no interest to me. unless there's great 3rd party support this time around, i will not buy another dust collector (looks at the gamecube).

i have too many toys to play with in the meantime, so it's not urgent in any way.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I picked up the 360 the day of release, PGR3 / Oblivion / Live Arcade alone justified the money and I'm hyped for Assasins Creed and Lost Planet atm.

I'm curious about the PS3 for Heavenly Sword though I think Sony still need to pull themselves together a bit more before I will fork out the money though if they announced tomorrow that Wipeout would be a launch title I'd slap the money down now!

I've not really paid much attention to the Wii yet as I have plenty already to play!

r.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    You're right, if Wipeout for the Ps3 is anything like the psp (free downloadable content) version, i'm getting it right away!
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Well a year from now all the systems will have nice lineups. In the meantime, PS2 + PC = absolute awesomeness.

But somewhere along the line I'll get a Wii for Zelda + Mario + Metroid, and because I can actually afford it.

6 years from now, I'm so gonna get a PS3. It will be hard to avoid MGS4 spoilers for that long, though.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    Wii = Zelda / PS3 = MGS4!

Marcus Dublin

Artist: Kaos Studios
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'd love to play mgs4, but I'll only get the wii next to my 360 and will have to do with just metal gear for the nes :P
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I think I'm on track with Rorshach. I've got some good 360 titles, and there are plenty more on the way. Live arcade is also damn fun, with some really great titles. PS3 is looking pretty good, but it's price is a little steep for me right now, I may pick one up next year at some point. The Wii is also interesting, but there's not many games that are peaking my interest. Mario Galaxy and Zelda look pretty good, but that's about it. It's virtual console attracts me more than anything else right now.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I am a big fan of Nintendo's main franchises, but I'd like a little more than just Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Star Fox and Kirby. (I know they do a ton of spin offs but the latest Mario Kart or Smash Bros doesn't interest me much at all).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Mario Kart and Smash Bros on the Gamecube are probably the most fun multiplayer experiences I have had on any console.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    but there's not many games that are peaking my interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

*ahem* I think you mean "pique." It's a common mistake, since most people usually hear the word spoken, not written.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    *ahem* I think you mean "pique." It's a common mistake, since most people usually hear the word spoken, not written.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I'd imagine it would be pretty difficult to hear the word written. :P
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    ...unless the person pressed really hard with his pen, of course.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Or used squeaky chalk.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    The only thing on consoles that had me quite impressed so far is Zelda on the Wii. but I still wouldnt buy it.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...unless the person pressed really hard with his pen, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

touche