Home General Discussion

The 300

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
http://mftm.blogspot.com/2006/09/300-2007-promo-trailer-scoop.html

The "behind the scenes" vignette was on quicktime.com a few months ago, it looks a lot better than average hack n slash film, and based on Frank Miller's work methinks it'll be well worth seeing in theaters!

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to this one myself.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    Wow...looks like there's some really nice cinematography, definatly gonna catch that. I believe Dan Milligan did some storyboarding for this that he posted on CA.org a while back
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    this does look the business.. Im a FM fanboi and the comic 300 is awesome. cant wait for this. Sin City was a fantastic movie
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    now thats a trailer.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I really hope this isn't about the battle of Thermopylae, I don't think I could sit through another distorted western mistelling of that battle. The Persians did win you know, in overwhelming fashion.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Of course its about the battle of Thermopylae...And yes it's a western distortion of the battle. It's Frank Miller's version of the story. Which is by no means accurate.

It still looks great though, I'm not going to go see this because I want to watch a historical drama, I'm going to go see this because it looks like another great adaptation of a comic by a great comic book artist.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Couldn't have said it better myself Neo_God, if it was another historical drama I likely wouldn't have given it a second glance...

For those who haven't seen the making of vignette, it looks like 100% of the movie is green screened digital backgrounds, same as Sin City.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    After seeing Sin, and having read 300.I also am interesred in the film.

[ QUOTE ]
    if it was another historical drama I likely wouldn't have given it a second glance

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Well specifically when it comes to war dramas, it has gotten a bit stagnant imho. After seeing so many huge battles with swords or WW2 scenes, unless the script and/cinematography is incredible (or word of mouth such as topics here say its great), then I'll probably catch the cliche ones (which most tend to be) once they're aired on TV. I rarely hit the theaters in general these days so the movie needs to be damn worth it.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Oh no, did I miss the bandwidth window? frown.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I really hope this isn't about the battle of Thermopylae, I don't think I could sit through another distorted western mistelling of that battle. The Persians did win you know, in overwhelming fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your complaint exactly? I've never heard anyone claim that the Spartans won...

*edit*

At any rate, while it is about the Battle of Thermopylae, I don't think anyone familiar with Frank Miller's work should worry about distorted western mistellings. The guy wrote The Dark Knight Returns and created Sin City - trust that he will tell a good story (it's easier if you pretend Robocop 3 never happened).
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't remember the battle because they won (they didn't), we remember it because 1000 guys with giant brass balls stood up against a hugeass army to give their countrymen a chance.

Either way you hack it that's a hellova story.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    And it teaches a very important lesson, no matter how loyal the people around you are everyone has a price at wich they will turn against you. This is one story in history that has more lessons than most.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't the schtick that this the comic/movie is someone telling a story about the war, with the dramatic embellishments that naturally come from tales being passed along by fireside storytellers? I can't remember where I heard that, but it'd explain the footage of rather monstery looking warriors.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Yea, I need to check out the graphic novel, because the fat guy/thing with huge blades for hands is crazy looking!

Well, I guess the studio is getting everyone to pull off their videos, seems the trailer was leaked.